hp queries

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crow66

Reaction score
Hi all..... question is if you remove v-boost from a 145bhp bike will it then become a 98bhp bike ?
Does a stage 7 dyno tune bring a 98bhp bike up to be as quick as a stock 145bhp bike ?

Next querie is when I insured my vmax my insurance has stipulated on my insurance document that my model of vmax is 114 bhp !!!!!

If you don't have VBoost you have <100 RWHP. No, a stage 7 kit won't give you 145 RWHP if you don't have VBoost. And if you do have VBoost that 145 HP figure is an 'at the crankshaft' figure AFAIK. Most USA bikes get in the 108-114 RWHP and a well-tuned Stage 7 kit may give you 10% a over that, so call it 125 RWHP on an honest dyno. A bit less maybe. More than that you need $$ or something like nitrous to get more.

A reliable stock bike is usually less trouble to own than a hot rod.

I have just got the bike last week and its my 2nd 3uf max but this one is way different re acceleration and top speed . Its way quicker than my last one . This one has had the wheel conversion and stage 7 dyno kit fitted along with air filter pods and marving pipes etc .. it pulls away from my mates 1200 bandit and the vfr800fi .. brfore I put a kph to mph gear thing it went off the clock effortlessly . Ive checked the accuracy with the converter on using gps and its fairly accurate . I dont know if any other mods have been done but she can shift . She red lines off the clock and deffo dont have any restriction as far as I can tell (been riding since 1984).. Is it worthwhile trying to find a vboost kit for it or would you recomend leaving it as is ?... thanks for replies so far .

I have just got the bike last week and its my 2nd 3uf max but this one is way different re acceleration and top speed . Its way quicker than my last one . This one has had the wheel conversion and stage 7 dyno kit fitted along with air filter pods and marving pipes etc .. it pulls away from my mates 1200 bandit and the vfr800fi .. brfore I put a kph to mph gear thing it went off the clock effortlessly . Ive checked the accuracy with the converter on using gps and its fairly accurate . I dont know if any other mods have been done but she can shift . She red lines off the clock and deffo dont have any restriction as far as I can tell (been riding since 1984).. Is it worthwhile trying to find a vboost kit for it or would you recomend leaving it as is ?... thanks for replies so far .

If that bike runs that quick I wouldn't bother with a V-boost set-up. Does it have the cross over tubes connecting the manifolds? The best dyno info comes from a day multiple Vmax's get dyno'd at the same session. Then you can compare to other bikes similar to your own taking into account what mods were done to each.
Steve-o

No visible crossover pipes that I can see but I may not be looking hard enough lol.. where would the crossover pipes be exactly and ill have a look in the morning ? ... cheers

Let me correct my statement, if you had VBoost but someone has installed the Stage 7 kit, where the VBoost has been replaced w/aluminum tubes, you could have a full-power engine. What is the bike, a USA market bike imported, or a UK market bike? I believe some of the bikes sold in the UK were less-HP, from your steering head sticker and the VIN, and engine #, you should be able to figure it out. Tell us what you see those two places.

This is a stock oem vboost (dirty mind you) if you have the stage 7 kit it will not have butterflies in the crossover tubes. These are under your carbs and attached.

Attachments

• CIMG1808.jpg
    CIMG1808.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 24
For full power you need :
-to swap the CDI unit for a US one
-Swap the rear end with a US one with short ratio
-remove the carb slides sleeves
-remove your restricting mufflers and go with OEM big diameter ones

Stock carbs with Vboost gives more HP than Stage7 with restricting exhaust ore even with OEM exhaut.

For full power you need :
-to swap the CDI unit for a US one
-Swap the rear end with a US one with short ratio
-remove the carb slides sleeves
-remove Vboost caps and add Vboost system.
-remove your restricting mufflers and go with OEM big diameter ones

Stock carbs with Vboost gives more HP than Stage7 with restricting exhaust ore even with OEM exhaust. ;)

No visible crossover pipes that I can see but I may not be looking hard enough lol.. where would the crossover pipes be exactly and ill have a look in the morning ? ... cheers

In the pic, between the manifolds there are boots connecting the manifolds. Looking at your own you'd not be able to tell if they were solid blanks or stage 7 tubes. I'd thing whoever bothered to install the stage 7 would put the hollow tubes in.

In the pic, between the manifolds there are boots connecting the manifolds. Looking at your own you'd not be able to tell if they were solid blanks or stage 7 tubes. I'd thing whoever bothered to install the stage 7 would put the hollow tubes in.

The bike I believe is a Japanese import and all the work was done before I got it however I think its pretty quick but I would like to get the full gains without spending too much money ;-)

Picture of the solid blank version

Attachments

• Picture167.jpg
    Picture167.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back