Hubless wheels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Hymen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Can anyone explain how these hubless wheels work. Apparently the braking system is built into it also.

Attachments

• IMG_50711.jpg
    IMG_50711.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_43601.jpg
    IMG_43601.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 37
I have seen friction drives before on the rear.A roller that is pushing against the rear tire is driven wich turns the wheel.The brake disc was on the roller.the front woulod just spin on ball bearing.you can see the brakes towards the bottom.I don't think these would be very high performance.More for posing on bike nights.

Also, some of the rear hubless that I've seen were driven by a large chain. Bascily the rim was also the rear sprocket.

The original design used a big giant rotor bearing off of a helicopter. The inner portion was stationary and was hung off the swingarm or frame if hardtail and it had a belt drive hub around the perimeter that was attached to the outer portion of the bearing. This outer portion was also what the wheel rim was built on to.
As far as braking I ain't too sure.
I'm pretty sure these later variations are just a different execution of the same idea.

shawn kloker said:
I have seen friction drives before on the rear.A roller that is pushing against the rear tire is driven wich turns the wheel.The brake disc was on the roller.the front woulod just spin on ball bearing.you can see the brakes towards the bottom.I don't think these would be very high performance.More for posing on bike nights.

thats how Ive seen in done on the biker build offs:bicycle:

BIlly Lane uses these type wheels & manufactures them as well. I cant remember what the name of his shop is... He is in the BIker build offs as someone alluded to. Do a search in Google or Yahoo incuding his name & Motorcycle(s) & it should show up for you. His application as far as I know has always been fo H.D. or Indians.

Black98Vmax said:
BIlly Lane uses these type wheels & manufactures them as well. I cant remember what the name of his shop is... He is in the BIker build offs as someone alluded to. Do a search in Google or Yahoo incuding his name & Motorcycle(s) & it should show up for you. His application as far as I know has always been fo H.D. or Indians.

He was just in the news for running his pick up into a guy on a motorcycle!!:icon_rolleyes:

Back