Hydraulic clutch oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrightj1560

Reaction score
Question. Purchased a 2002 vmax with 9400 miles. Changed all fluid and the hydraulic oil was a rust brown color. Swapped out new fluid and bled the system. 1500 miles later the oil is back to a rust color. Any thoughts? Maybe I didn’t swap out all the fluid the first time?

Attachments

• 76BDDA00-3DDF-4C9B-A6C8-C43059541104.jpeg
    76BDDA00-3DDF-4C9B-A6C8-C43059541104.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 9
the clutch master cylincer is probably really nasty. if i were you i would order a rebuild kit, pull it off and rebuild it. youll fine a lot of crud in there. otherwise just keep changing out the lfuid. i had the same issue but my master started leaking os i took it apart and rebuilt it

pprobably the spring inside the secondary clutch pump is rusted. as they advised you, I would revise it with a new kit, as the chances are you will find of oil leaks from the piston o-ring

Change fluid again. I don't repair what works. If master and slave cylinders work fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm with the re-bleed faction. It probably is due to corrosion but you will have removed most of the moisture when you replaced the fluid. I would work on the principle (hope?) that this is from what was left in the system.

I'm with the re-bleed faction. It probably is due to corrosion but you will have removed most of the moisture when you replaced the fluid. I would work on the principle (hope?) that this is from what was left in the system.
Get someone to help you lean the bike to the right, and look in the area under the clutch slave cylinder for traces of oil. If you find them, proceed to overhaul the pump. If it's dry, don't worry about dirty oil. Also pay attention to any noises like a wet sponge being squeezed when you press the clutch lever. if noises are heard, you clearly have losses

pprobably the spring inside the secondary clutch pump is rusted. as they advised you, I would revise it with a new kit, as the chances are you will find of oil leaks from the piston o-ring
I guess you're calling the clutch slave cylinder the "secondary clutch pump?"

Here in the USA it's usually referred to as "brake fluid," whether it's in the brake master cylinder or the clutch master cylinder. Use of the same terms helps us to understand without ambiguity what a member is intending to say. Refer here, if you have any questions: VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net)

Hydraulic oil is what's used in a floor jack, or a bottle jack, and is definitely not what to-use in your clutch master cylinder!

Servicing of the clutch slave cylinder for replacement is discussed here: Clutch slave cylinder replacement | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net) There are other posts: Leaky clutch master cylinder | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

I guess you're calling the clutch slave cylinder the "secondary clutch pump?"

Here in the USA it's usually referred to as "brake fluid," whether it's in the brake master cylinder or the clutch master cylinder. Use of the same terms helps us to understand without ambiguity what a member is intending to say. Refer here, if you have any questions: VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net)

Hydraulic oil is what's used in a floor jack, or a bottle jack, and is definitely not what to-use in your clutch master cylinder!

Servicing of the clutch slave cylinder for replacement is discussed here: Clutch slave cylinder replacement | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net) There are other posts: Leaky clutch master cylinder | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Hahaha, ok ok. I'm sorry . Unfortunately, technical terminology is always difficult to understand and translate.

I do have some slight noise when depressing the clutch lever. I went ahead and ordered a rebuild kit. $28 and a way to get to know the bike a little better. Should get it replaced this weekend. Will update with my findings. Thank you all for the info.

I do have some slight noise when depressing the clutch lever. I went ahead and ordered a rebuild kit. $28 and a way to get to know the bike a little better. Should get it replaced this weekend. Will update with my findings. Thank you all for the info.
well, if you hear that squish-like noise, then you are likely to find a leak. we wait for updates;)

Update….I rebuilt the clutch master cylinder. The spring looked ok but the plunger (?) had a large amount is deposits stuck to it. I used a mityvac to pull out all the discolored DOT 4 and bled the system. The clutch no longer has the spongy sound and feels much firmer. Will update after I get some miles on the bike. Thanks for all the great info. 09070EBC-A662-41A3-A519-05A23B31EA81.jpeg

Aggiornamento….ho ricostruito la pompa della frizione. La molla sembrava ok ma lo stantuffo (?) aveva una grande quantità di depositi attaccati. Ho usato un mityvac per estrarre tutto il DOT 4 scolorito e spurgare il sistema. La frizione non ha più il suono spugnoso e si sente molto più solida. Aggiornerò dopo aver fatto qualche chilometro sulla bici. Grazie per tutte le ottime informazioni.View attachment 78131
[/CITAZIONE]
glad to know it's better, but honestly thought you'd rebuild the secondary clutch master cylinder, that is, the one positioned next to the flywheel.

Brake fluid has to be replaced in all cars and bikes, it is in maintenance schedule, but nobody does that.

Brake fluid has to be replaced in all cars and bikes, it is in maintenance schedule, but nobody does that.

This is my thoughts as well. I got the bike 2 months ago with 9400 miles. It’s a 2002 model year. I bet it wasn’t changed in 20 years allowing for moisture to accumulate and turn to rusty slime. I’ve already changed all the fluids.

Questo è anche il mio pensiero. Ho ricevuto la moto 2 mesi fa con 9400 miglia. È un anno modello 2002. Scommetto che non è stato cambiato in 20 anni permettendo all'umidità di accumularsi e trasformarsi in melma arrugginita. Ho già cambiato tutti i liquidi.
[/CITAZIONE]
No.When I bought the bike, there was so much water in my brake calipers that it caused holes in the aluminum and corrosion of the pistons.

Back