I am in over my head with radials installation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saga continues...

In my amateurish lack of wisdom, 1 year ago, I thought it was fine to cram my new front wheel into the fork. Aluminum fork brace cracks? Who cares! Brake pads put pressure on the left caliper left pad and right caliper right pad? Throw in some spacers!

Fast forward a year, and I’m a little wiser. Maybe my forks shouldn’t bow out laterally? Maybe the front wheel being off-center is kinda a major issue?

Well, removing aluminum is easy, and removing too much is solved with washers.

My mystery-brand front wheel now ALMOST fits... just had to take off some material from 1) the inside of the left fork axis hole and brake-mount holes and 2) the inside of the right brake-mount holes.

Pics to follow. I am so close to finally riding my max on radials after a year of suck.

Last edited:
For perpetuity, in addition to milling out aluminium from the rear caliper, to get the front wheel and rotors to fit I had to:
- Grind about 1mm off the inside of the front left fork axle hole area
- Grind about 2mm off the inside of the caliper mounts on the front right fork

All done, riding with radials is kinda an amazing change. I am relearning how to ride this bike it's so responsive now.

Latest posts

Back