• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

I feel the need for Maximization...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 8898

Reaction score
I live in the middle of Indiana and I've pretty much exhausted my options for finding a nice generation 1 Vmax for around 5,000. I could justify spending 6,000 or so at the most. For the right bike I would travel a couple hundred miles or so.

Any help is appreciated.

Walker

:tantrum:

Dude, I have your hook up. How about a super clean Anniversary model real close to you? Have the old lady drive you and have her follow you back. Check out Craigslist/ Dayton Ohio location. Asking price is 6k. It's been there a while and I'm sure you show up with "C" notes in hand it could probably be yours for 5.5
Let us know how it goes.
Oh, your welcome!
PATMAX

Dude, I have your hook up. How about a super clean Anniversary model real close to you? Have the old lady drive you and have her follow you back. Check out Craigslist/ Dayton Ohio location. Asking price is 6k. It's been there a while and I'm sure you show up with "C" notes in hand it could probably be yours for 5.5
Let us know how it goes.
Oh, your welcome!
PATMAX

+1, you can get a great bike for 5-6k....

Let us know how it goes.
Oh, your welcome!
PATMAX

Left the guy a message. I don't care for the drag bars, or the seat, or the bags... but no big deal. What does concern me is that the pictures aren't very clear. I just wasted some time looking at a bike that looked good in the pictures but looked like crap-ola in person. I don't want a bike that looks like it's spent time outdoors. Any rust or corrosion whatsoever is real turn-off. Hopefully I can get some *clear, tight* pictures.

And thanks! :worthy:

Also found this one: http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/3037968132.html ...any thoughts?

Let us know how it goes.
Oh, your welcome!
PATMAX

So the guy called me back. He didn't want to send any pictures, said "it's pretty much flawless", blah blah. Then why not send a few pictures and lure me in? I donno. When asked about cleanliness, he said it's been collecting dust in his barn for the last six months... why not wash it up, take some tight shots of this flawless bike and send them to me? I donno. :ummm: He went on about how it's such a collector's item, and that the trade-in value was 6k. I suppose it might take a while to find the right bike. This guy wasn't willing to work with me on some pictures, (I can't see the bike from the phone pictures) nor was he willing to negotiate from the 6k. "Collector's item" blah blah. Let's see, that consists of a badge and a production number. Woohoo. He also said "You know how much a new one costs? 15k." Yeah, uhm, that's a completely different animal. I'd probably be willing to come up with the 6,000 if I had some eye-popping pictures... but no, it's flawless. Covered in dust, but flawless. I guess he doesn't actually need the money.

I'm not sure where he's getting a 6k trade-in value. KBB says 4,320 for "good" condition. Not sure why they don't show a value for "excellent" condition, but I don't assume a bike shop is going to go more than 4,500 to 5,000 on a trade even for a spotless flawless bike. http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/trade-in/2005/yamaha/v_max/176157/

I live in the middle of Indiana and I've pretty much exhausted my options for finding a nice generation 1 Vmax for around 5,000. I could justify spending 6,000 or so at the most. For the right bike I would travel a couple hundred miles or so.

Any help is appreciated.

Walker

:tantrum:

Welcome to the forum and our addiction. With $ 5-6 K in your hand , and you can't find a good Gen one ? Where are you looking ? We're finding them at $ 3 K . Spend some time here and you will find what you're looking for. :punk:

Welcome to the forum and our addiction. With $ 5-6 K in your hand , and you can't find a good Gen one ? Where are you looking ? We're finding them at $ 3 K . Spend some time here and you will find what you're looking for. :punk:

Thanks! I'm after a nice bike. No rust, no corrosion, no time spent outside, no dents or scratches (or only *very* minor ones). I want a stock bike ideally. Feel free to show me what you're finding for 3k!

:pullhair:

...no time spent outside...:pullhair:
:ummm: These bikes were meant for the great outdoors tearing up the open road and track. LOL. I know what you meant. Just wanted to rib ya.

Hard to believe you can't find a decent bike for 6k. I know you want stock, but at that price point there are some kick-ass blinged-out chromoholics out there, so it should be cake to get a quality stocker for less than that.

:ummm: These bikes were meant for the great outdoors tearing up the open road and track. LOL. I know what you meant. Just wanted to rib ya.

Hard to believe you can't find a decent bike for 6k. I know you want stock, but at that price point there are some kick-ass blinged-out chromoholics out there, so it should be cake to get a quality stocker for less than that.

Well... I wouldn't say I can't find a decent bike for 6k. I would prefer to find one for 5k. :biglaugh: I need to find one within a range I can justify traveling. And if it's 100 miles away i need someone willing to send high-res tight shots so that I don't spend my life traveling to see someone's overpriced rusty crap. It's just a matter of time and patience.

Looks like a very clean example, some high res pics will show the details your looking for, if you go to take a look be sure to check the usual suspects, rust in tank, 2nd gear, etc, if it checks out and meets your standards, flash 4K and see where it goes, good luck!....................Tom.

You must not watch American Pickers. Lewisburg OH is farm country. Farmers
are chrotchity farts with take it or leave it attitudes. I have no reason why a guy would not send good pics since he is trying to sell. Maybe its behind the combine right now. I know alot of gems come out of barns so that don't bother me. If you explained you are an hour or two away he mIght comply but him being stuck on the collector item rant don't sound good.
There plenty around your vicinity. Even Damon Ferriaollo in MI is not that far from you. He is your closest Vmax whizard.

Last edited:
Hey Walker,I live within 15 minutes of that bike in Granger In.Want me to go look at it?I,m about as picky as they come.

Wow, I didn't expect anyone to offer that service! If you would do me that service I would be very grateful! I'll get you my number in private message.

I'm concerned with any kind of damage whatsoever. Dents, scratches, corrosion/rust, and any kind of wear that shows. The guy mentioned a spot on the side case where the finish was somehow slightly damaged, maybe from rubbing with a foot or something? Not sure. It's hard to see damage to a finish if the thing has six months of dust on it. Those bags make me wonder about damage that may result from them rubbing on the finish/chrome.

He mentioned that he has the stock bars and stock seat, which would be a must-have for me. If you could get a look at those that would be great. I'm not interested in the drag bars and I hate the way that seat looks.

Not sure what he might be willing to do in the way of a test ride. He sounded pretty stubborn. What if the transmission is locked in first gear or something, haha!?

It's funny, he told me in one breath that there has not been a single person come to see the bike, and in the next he told me about how prized and collectible this anniversary edition is.

Anyway, I'll get you my number in PM.

Even if it doesn't work out, I appreciate the thought!

Thanks!!!

:clapping:

i wish i could readily find the thread, but a while back, a113ycat of texas found a max in ft lauderdale, florida. firemedic, who is resides around that region, offered to test drive it for him. with a thumbs up, firemedic, trailered the max to the other side of the state to tampa, where he handed off the max to captainkyle and specops13, who in turn hauled the bike to texas.

you will find out shortly, if you haven't already, that this forum is made up of members whose hero-like benevolence is astonishing.

good luck bro. keep the thread running with each step of your adventure. i, as i sure a lot of others, will be watching closely!!!!

Hey Walker,I live within 15 minutes of that bike in Granger In.Want me to go look at it?I,m about as picky as they come.

Aw hell... I was thinking you said Lewisburg, hahaha! Sorry! Let me see about the Granger bike here....

:bang head:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/2956938862.html
You guys are awesome!
punk0000.gif

not bad. polished or chromed sissy bar. corbin seat. saddle bags part of deal? based on these additions, (of course, it's hard to tell), but it doesn't look like any advanced modding was performed (i.e., suspension and carb jetting). would be interesting to hear what the owner has to say.

So the guy in Granger does not reply to email and doesn't have a number listed. I sent him a second email a few minutes ago. I swear over half the people with Vmax bikes on Craig's List do not reply to email and don't list a number. I thought I had a 2002 for 4,700, and then the jerk just disappeared.

Walker,Just let me know whats up on the Granger bike.You and I sound alot alike about looking a bike over real good.Funny how a guys vehicle can have stone chips,scuffs,scratches etc and its no big deal.Those same things on a bike or any other man toy and its a no go for sure.I will take detailed pics. of any issues it may have and email them to you.If the seller pitches a fit I,ll deal with him.I hate dicks.

Latest posts

Back