• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

I feel the need for Maximization...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK,Just got back from supper and going to look at the Granger bike.Is it a nice clean bike? Yes.Is it a perfect bike? No.Some of what I,m going to list would be considered normal for a 13 year old max,some may not.Engine paint a little chaulky(normal).Water pump elbow paint peppered (normal).Clearcoat on the scoops at the tops getting thin,some small chips(somewhat normal) small white spot on the seat size of a pencil eraser(not normal)rear grab bar some scratches or clear coat flaking at the top(not normal)Little corrosion on the valve covers(somewhat normal).Small scuff on the very end of the left muffler.I don,t think it was dropped,I just think he got to close to something.Those mufflers stick out like a sore thumb.(not normal) He showed me a receipt from the yamaha dealer this spring carbs gone thru,routine maintanance etc.(actually the tech that worked on it I know).Bill was over $800.00. I took some close up pics.that I can email to you if you like.

OK,Just got back from supper and going to look at the Granger bike.Is it a nice clean bike? Yes.Is it a perfect bike? No.Some of what I,m going to list would be considered normal for a 13 year old max,some may not.Engine paint a little chaulky(normal).Water pump elbow paint peppered (normal).Clearcoat on the scoops at the tops getting thin,some small chips(somewhat normal) small white spot on the seat size of a pencil eraser(not normal)rear grab bar some scratches or clear coat flaking at the top(not normal)Little corrosion on the valve covers(somewhat normal).Small scuff on the very end of the left muffler.I don,t think it was dropped,I just think he got to close to something.Those mufflers stick out like a sore thumb.(not normal) He showed me a receipt from the yamaha dealer this spring carbs gone thru,routine maintanance etc.(actually the tech that worked on it I know).Bill was over $800.00. I took some close up pics.that I can email to you if you like.

Wow, thanks for the details! I'd love to see the pics. I'll PM you my email address.

I looked at the 2000 model I posted a link to, and I like it. It's 30 miles from here. It was nearly dark, but I had a very good flashlight and there was the house light. Anyway, it has 25,800 miles and he's firm at 3,900 bucks. The guy says he picked it up in Michigan two years ago from the original owner. The most noticeable flaw was the scoops. Both sides have a bunch of small pits at the back where your legs ride. He says it's where the clear coat has been worn through. I think I can live with that, and plan on fixing it at some point - maybe have them chromed or whatever. Other than that, it needs a rear tire and brake pads. The Supertrapp exhaust sounds great. He tells me the original owner had a cam installed. It does kind of lope at an idle, just a little. Revs without hesitation. He didn't seem to know anything about the carbs' history. Engine paint looks shiny under the dust. Needs a detailing badly. Found one bolt near the swing arm that had rust on the inside of the hex head. Couldn't find any rust anywhere else. The wheels might not be perfect, maybe a few spots where the finish has been damaged a little. I was thinking I would bring the cash, look at it in the daylight, and ask him to let me take it for a ride. I'd hate to buy it and learn that it's got a bent rim or a slipping clutch or something.

Opinions anyone?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=221036204999&index=9&nav=SEARCH&nid=84920020942

Here's one on ebay.. gots some miles on it. But I bet u could get it cheaper if u called and talked to him.. good mods done to it too!

Yeah he had it on Craigslist before it went to ebay. I think he had it listed for 4,300 or so. At the time I was kind of stuck on the idea of fewer miles and a bike that hadn't been modded. Not so much now. I can't call the guy as ebay doesn't allow me his number. I did send him a message, asking how much cash he would need for me to pick up his bike, say, Friday. If it's about the same price as the 2000 model in Terre Haute, it might be better as it looks to have good rubber and the backrest is a requirement from the woman that I'll have to fill. Seems they aren't cheap or easy to come by.

I have a feeling I'll own a Vmax inside the next week. :punk:

don't forget to pounce on 2nd gear to make sure it doesn't have an issue. 12 year old bike. a daylight visit would have been my preferred time. make sure you get a look at fluids through whatever windows are available. shine flashlight into tank to look for rust. look for oil weeps around the valve covers joints, crankcase breather housing, around the bottom of the stator and middle gear covers.

don't forget to pounce on 2nd gear to make sure it doesn't have an issue. 12 year old bike. a daylight visit would have been my preferred time. make sure you get a look at fluids through whatever windows are available. shine flashlight into tank to look for rust. look for oil weeps around the valve covers joints, crankcase breather housing, around the bottom of the stator and middle gear covers.

Great. I'll definitely do all that. Much appreciated. :worthy:

Yeah he had it on Craigslist before it went to ebay. I think he had it listed for 4,300 or so. At the time I was kind of stuck on the idea of fewer miles and a bike that hadn't been modded. Not so much now. I can't call the guy as ebay doesn't allow me his number. I did send him a message, asking how much cash he would need for me to pick up his bike, say, Friday.

I have a feeling I'll own a Vmax inside the next week. :punk:

so i took a look at the eBay listing. here's my score card:
1999 VMax---hmmm

Has new paint with custom painted scoops--ok

17" rearwheel conversion--very nice. RADIALS!!! the worth and worthiness depends on how it was done. i prefer 18" but that is just my preference

with 2 new Battle Ax tires--bonus

Galfer wave rotors -- SCORE!!

ceramic pads, braided break lines---nice

Has full synthetic Lucas Oil fluids -- ok. whatever. type of oil is not a selling point in my book.

Stage 7 jet kit -- SCORE

Vboost 2 -- huh? guess he means that he left it in.

Has lightning carb springs, drilled slides. -- nothing extraordinary if S7 is installed

Modified Tuned factory exhaust. -- WTF? did he drill or punch holes, nothing extraordinary? S7 wasted, need full-up system

Pro flow water pump impeller -- ok
and thermostat -- ehh

Also has progressive frontfork springs -- VERY NICE

with All Balls Racing fork seals and dust boots -- OK

hasprogressive rear nitrogen charged piggy back shocks -- hmmm are these the chinese cheapies off of eBay or in fact, Works or Progressive Suspension or Ohlins? big negative if eBay chinese

Extremely fast -- well duh

Has back rest -- bonus. be sure to ask if the regular grab rail is available

sport windshield -- bonus, depends on personal preference

small bag and battery tender - ok

Carburetor assembly screws with stainless allen bolts -- bonus, if you plan on overhauling carbs or rejetting or splitting in the future

The brake mounting bolts have been replaced with chromed stainless button head allen bolts-- ooooooooooooooo shiny stuff drooool

it also has a UFO rear tail light -- eh, nice if you like that kind of thing

and a K&N filter----hmmmm S7s usually have 4 individual pods. "a" filter? prolly left off with S7 install. where's the airbox?

i don't have the patience to recall and/or research the amount invested into all of the mods, but i can confidently say that the guy spent somewhere between a quarter to half of his asking price. also ask the guy what he did with all the factory pieces he took off (ie, airbox, rear suspension, rotors, grab rail, etc.)

Wow... nice critique. So you would vote for the 1999 over the 2000?

depends on what you want. one is notably more modded than the other. both have seen relatively speaking the same number of miles. on paper, if the bottom dollar is same, i would go for the '99 and if i were into pure stock, sell the mods, restore with oem parts and gain a little profit.

BUT my final answer would depend of in-person visits.

OK. I enjoy tinkering with bikes, but I don't have a lot of time to do it. So I probably wouldn't want to have to take the '99 back to stock. But I think I could live with the mods on the 99 since they are non-cosmetic or cosmetically subtle. I guess the thing with mods is, I love the way the gen 1 Vmax looks. If there's going to be any variation from that on a bike of mine, it will be subtle and tasteful variation.

With that said, I want a nice-looking, good-running gen 1 for the best price I can get one. The 2000 model is in good overall shape, but a backrest is required, along with a rear tire and brake pads. I'm estimating 750 bucks for that stuff, putting the final around 4,650 and a little (precious) time to install that stuff. Maybe a little more down the road to tend to the scoops. The 99 already has a backrest, new tires and (hopefully nice) paint. I don't know about the exhaust. There's one picture that looks as if maybe it was drilled. Seems tacky to me. And the air filter thing makes me wonder too. I don't plan to spend the kind of money it would take to get an exhaust system. Seems to me they are way expensive. Buf it goes for 4,200 or so, I think I'd be better off with the 99. Of course I'd need to see it, and the guy hasn't replied to me yet. Noticed the exhaust has 5 small extra holes. There's the "tuned" exhaust. Missing tank/hood Yamaha logos. Hoping the guy gets with me while I hope the guy with the 2000 doesn't sell his before I can check out the 99.

Can ya tell I'm obsessed with this process? I do appreciate the input very much, and Dave's gracious help on that '99 in Granger. I'm looking forward to checking out the up-close pics of it.

As far as the 5-hole mod. It doesn't buy you much. Just kinda makes your exhaust a bit louder. You can always return this to stock just by using rivets to reattach the end plates that were removed. ask the owner if he still has them.

I'm starting to wonder if there really is a Stage 7 now. Most guys would only put this in IF they had upgraded the exhaust. If you get a chance to see it, pop the lid. You should see 4 individual pod filters, a puke can between the back pods and a hose that goes from the puke can down to the oil fill port.

good luck!

Noted. If I get the chance to see it I'll definitely check that out. If he's waving a Stage 7 kit and he's lacking the air setup, hmm...

I'm starting to feel impatient, and I know that's bad, but if this guy doesn't get in touch with me about seeing the '99 some time today, I will probably try to make some progress with riding the 2000.

Thanks again!

You can't go wrong with 2000. To me it sounds like the only thing wrong with it is that it's seen over a decade of road.

You can't go wrong with 2000. To me it sounds like the only thing wrong with it is that it's seen over a decade of road.

Yeah... of course that was a selling point from the owner, ha. (Bikes that sat have carb issues)

Hopefully I'll be taking it for a spin tomorrow. I guess I'll offer this guy the cash to hold while I ride it in the event of the unthinkable. Title is at the credit union.

Yeah... of course that was a selling point from the owner, ha. (Bikes that sat have carb issues)

Hopefully I'll be taking it for a spin tomorrow. I guess I'll offer this guy the cash to hold while I ride it in the event of the unthinkable. Title is at the credit union.

don't pull a Bonehead. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=23029 :rofl_200:. i'm just ribbing you, Bonehead (if you read this).

Looked over the pictures... looks rougher than the local 2000 model I'm considering for $3,900, though it's not a perfect bike either. The red one looks suweeeet!!!

Looks like I'm going to ride the 2000 tomorrow, weather permitting. No word from the guy with the 99 on ebay. If the 2000 pans out I'll own it tomorrow afternoon.

I very much appreciate the time and effort!!!

Back