I fixed hubby's bike!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee_brake

Reaction score
My best friend and riding partner is my husband David. We argue plenty but he's a keeper overall: a fine rider, good character, and faithful as an old hound dog.

When we were just married in active duty Army and living in what amounted to a chicken shack, each with one po-dunk old cruiser and sharing my old '78 pickup, he made it clear he didn't want me to mess with his bike. But I did have to show him how to gap a spark plug. :biglaugh: I was raised maintaining the family's stuff; he just wasn't.

It's been 9 years now and we've both come a long way both with riding and wrenching. His KLR 650 is only a couple years old with less than 7k miles on it, but it sat for a year before he traded the Harley on it.
This summer it suddenly began missing and wouldn't idle. He cleaned the carb, I cleaned the carb, he cleaned the carb again....no go. Even bought a good used carb, same problem. He said he went through everything there was to test in the book. He dropped the insurance on it and it just sat. Then he got temporary work this month, so there was a good reason for me to tackle the bike. Not like he can chase me away, right? I told him I was working on it, he's out of ideas and we sure can't hire a mechanic.

I tested everything in the book too, put it all back together, and got a compression tester, thinking last shot was maybe a bent valve because he rides it hard. He said he checked the plug, but when I pulled it out, there was almost no gap at all, and the terminal was bent all funny.
I yanked a plug off my Honda CB750 that was the same kind, gapped it and went for a ride on hubby's KLR! :punk: Damn that thing is tall, and fun! And it's running great.

So yeah, I'm only gloating a tiny little bit to you guys, because it would be awful to gloat in front of him when he gets home tonight. Ya'll understand, don't you?

So...what is this worth for marital favors? :th_529:

Good on ya! My girlfriend likes helping me wrench on my Max. She was into drag racing and worked on the pro street car that her boyfriend at the time had. There is something about a woman with a wrench in her hand and a smudge of grease on her cheek:punk:

I don't think he'll see it that way...I'm no wrench like your GF but dang...a bad plug? C'mon!

Oh....this is a major victory on your part....some valuable braggin' rights at stake here! :clapping:

Properly managed this could be parlayed into several little marital favors!!

Good on you, sometimes the simplest things get overlooked!

I think he owes you big with no expectation of recipricol on his end.

I reckon you got a truckload of marital favors coming your way. In my book anyway, whenever I fixed ex-wifey's car, I got dinner cooked for me, nice dessert, laundry done, exempt from cleaning, and of course plenty of bedroom action..:th_love031:

My best friend and riding partner is my husband David. We argue plenty but he's a keeper overall: a fine rider, good character, and faithful as an old hound dog.

When we were just married in active duty Army and living in what amounted to a chicken shack, each with one po-dunk old cruiser and sharing my old '78 pickup, he made it clear he didn't want me to mess with his bike. But I did have to show him how to gap a spark plug. :biglaugh: I was raised maintaining the family's stuff; he just wasn't.

It's been 9 years now and we've both come a long way both with riding and wrenching. His KLR 650 is only a couple years old with less than 7k miles on it, but it sat for a year before he traded the Harley on it.
This summer it suddenly began missing and wouldn't idle. He cleaned the carb, I cleaned the carb, he cleaned the carb again....no go. Even bought a good used carb, same problem. He said he went through everything there was to test in the book. He dropped the insurance on it and it just sat. Then he got temporary work this month, so there was a good reason for me to tackle the bike. Not like he can chase me away, right? I told him I was working on it, he's out of ideas and we sure can't hire a mechanic.

I tested everything in the book too, put it all back together, and got a compression tester, thinking last shot was maybe a bent valve because he rides it hard. He said he checked the plug, but when I pulled it out, there was almost no gap at all, and the terminal was bent all funny.
I yanked a plug off my Honda CB750 that was the same kind, gapped it and went for a ride on hubby's KLR! :punk: Damn that thing is tall, and fun! And it's running great.

So yeah, I'm only gloating a tiny little bit to you guys, because it would be awful to gloat in front of him when he gets home tonight. Ya'll understand, don't you?

So...what is this worth for marital favors? :th_529:

You should make him do the naked plug dance.

I don't think he'll see it that way...I'm no wrench like your GF but dang...a bad plug? C'mon!

Hmmm Bad PLugs... Where have I seen this issue before? Hmmmm...
It's like deja vue...
Geeeeeee... I wonder where it was? Seems like it was just yesterday. :a014:

Aw heck ya'll shoulda seen him grinning when he got back from his short ride last night, on the KLR. First ride on it in months.
He didn't believe I fixed it until he fired it up and it idled just fine.

This morning (after he made me coffee) he said he felt stupid for missing something as simple as a plug.

I'm satisfied, it's really good to see him riding that bike again, he really likes the KLR and he missed it.

The bedroom action is just bonus....

I'm satisfied, it's really good to see him riding that bike again, he really likes the KLR and he missed it.

good on you Jenn! I had a KLR myself (my first bike in the UK) and really loved it too. It's great fun and pretty quick from 0-100. Just eats rear tires like crazy!

Back