I got to ride an FZ1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyg-5386

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Someone is selling an FZ1 on craigslist 30 miles from my house and I decided I wanted to check it out. I showed up on my vmax, talked to the owner for a few minutes and then we did a bike swap. I gotta tell ya, the FZ1 is a very nice bike. It was a 2003 in almost mint condition with 30k on it. I really liked the way it pulled and handled and he told me he enjoyed the vmax also. He's asking $3500 for it and it looked/handled as though it is worth it. On the way home I cracked the throttle on the vmax and the V-4 brought the usual smile to my face. The next day my wife and I did a 150 mile run on my 1979 xs1100 Special. I've had this bike for 20 years and it is in awesome shape. She loves that old bike and it is super comfortable for her with the way the backrest is setup for her. At the end of the day she said "I know you liked the FZ1 but please do not sell this old bike. It is perfect for 2 up riding. The vmax is nice but I do not enjoy being a passenger on it as much even with the backrest." She even said "heck, if you want the FZ1 so bad buy it and enjoy it." Owning 3 bikes would be a bit much as I feel guilty about not riding the xs1100 as much as I used to since I got the vmax. The vmax is addicting. I really want to thank everyone on this forum for all of the advice/assistance with the glitchy problems I initially had with the vmax. Sean M deserves an honorable mention for loaning me parts and always answering emails.

A buddy and I bike swaped in Bandera one year my max and his 03 FZ1. I really liked that bike, great low end torque, very fast, took a little more steering effort in the curves but man did it handle. Funny thing though, my buddy also a vmax owner did not like my bike. the steering was to neutral for him. He has been the only one to dislike my bike. All others can not believe it is a VMAX and want to know everything I've to improve the handling.

Last edited:
I still own an '03 FZ1. I've had it since it was new, and it is pretty heavily modified these days. I've never had a better do-it-all bike. It is definitely faster than the VMax, and quicker, too, and will walk away from it in the canyons. It lacks the personality of the V4, all the sound and fury, but for a bike you can carve corners on, do track days on, saddle up for a long weekend trip, drag race, and commute, I don't think the FZ1 is easily rivaled.

Back