I hate trying to tune these damn things!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
UGH! So....been in Arizona for a little over a year now. Still haven't tuned my bike properly for being out here. I spent most of the Fall/Winter working on projects in our new home, and the bike went by the wayside. I tore into the carbs today and realized how much I have NO clue what I'm doing!

Is it wrong of me to cave and just take it somewhere to get done, assuming I can find someone out here who's good with tuning Mr. Max?

(Sean, I should have had you help me when you were out here!!!)

Sorry man, Wasn't there for more then a couple of hours.

Sean

Some of the guys have used the Carb Rebuild Videos and swear by them. It's really expensive to have someone do the work and, do they really have a clue. I almost got killed on my first bike 44 years ago, taking it to the dealer. A mechanic that, I hope gave up his day job....

An acquaintance here got an estimate from that same Dealer, now 44 years later. To rebuild and tune an 06's Carbs. $700.00 for the rebuild and $180 to do the sync... I offered to buy the bike.... The owner's an Idiot anyway... Should be on a Honda Rebel 250...

BTW: There are quite a few here that I'd trust to do the work right..

No, I will never take any vehicle of mine to a stealer.....I know better.
Ran into a small bump in the road tonight....I swapped my mains out with 150s and put it all back together. Turned the A/F screws all the way in and one of them is VERY difficult to turn, either to loosen or tighten. Any tips to avoid me breaking something? I can't get that thing out to where I need it to be and don't wanna force it and break something.

Although come to think of it, last time I played with the mix screws they turned fine....and I did wash the bike since then.....and the stuck screw IS on the right side. May have a bit of corrosion in there. I am gonna soak it with some PB and hope that helps!

I think ur on the right track. Once it moves id remove it and thoroughly clean..

No, I will never take any vehicle of mine to a stealer.....I know better.
Ran into a small bump in the road tonight....I swapped my mains out with 150s and put it all back together. Turned the A/F screws all the way in and one of them is VERY difficult to turn, either to loosen or tighten. Any tips to avoid me breaking something? I can't get that thing out to where I need it to be and don't wanna force it and break something.

Although come to think of it, last time I played with the mix screws they turned fine....and I did wash the bike since then.....and the stuck screw IS on the right side. May have a bit of corrosion in there. I am gonna soak it with some PB and hope that helps!

Does the A/F screw just come out like a regular screw? I always thought there was another step to getting them out...or maybe I am thinking about the mains.

Only If you pay for shipping....lol

nope they come right out.

Some of the guys have used the Carb Rebuild Videos and swear by them. It's really expensive to have someone do the work and, do they really have a clue. I almost got killed on my first bike 44 years ago, taking it to the dealer. A mechanic that, I hope gave up his day job....

An acquaintance here got an estimate from that same Dealer, now 44 years later. To rebuild and tune an 06's Carbs. $700.00 for the rebuild and $180 to do the sync... I offered to buy the bike.... The owner's an Idiot anyway... Should be on a Honda Rebel 250...

BTW: There are quite a few here that I'd trust to do the work right..

As far as rebuilding them, there's not that much to it other than being extremely organized and taking lots of notes and pictures the first time so you know where it all goes, and keeping the parts to each carb with the carb it came from.

Tuning is mostly just getting them synched and the idle a/f screw set,

Back