I have inverted front end with 2 inch extention--NEED HELP PLEASE!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyvmax

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a sweet looking 2001 VMAX fully customized.
It came with inverted Yamaha warrior triple tree and forks, and has 2 inch extension...the problem I have is the extension leaking oil and seems to be loose.
took it to Yamaha dealer and was told that I need to replace it with original front end.
Not sure if it's true or if I can simply get it fixed by replacing the seals and tighten the extension.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, buying a new/used original front end is very costly and as of now I have the bike parked in the garage until can figure out a away to solve this issue.

Thanks for reading an looking forward to all comments and suggestions.

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 78
I would think it would be a simple fix. It may be a front end set from Tom and Cycle One Off. He has a thread for his services on here too.

Sean

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your quick response, I emailed him last week and he replied asking what kind of triple tree I use and responded to him right away but have not received an answer yet.
From looking at it and moving the forks back and forth it looks to me the extension are loose and hopefully as you mentioned it's a quick fix.

really the yamaha dealer wouldn't work on their own front end?!

The Yamaha dealer/mechanic says it's a death trap and didn't offer a fix, told me to put the original front end when I asked the service guy for price was told 1300+ labor. I'm having a friend of mine help me take the front forks off and will take it to another Yamaha dealer.
Hopefully I can get fixed and start enjoying the ride.

they are not custom installers. They are simply bolt on mechanics. If they can't just bolt it on using a microfiche they can't handle it. Even then some of them still can't handle it.

Sean

Thats so true
I called a dealership just last week when I was doing the valve shims to ask if they had any for swap or sale. They asked what kind of bike and what year, told them '86 Vmax. He asked me to hold, came back and said we dont work on bikes that old so I quickly countered "What do you mean that old, it is only 3 years old?" He said "What year is it again?" I said "06" he asks me to hold again, then comes back and says "I am sorry I thought you said '86, sure we can work on your '06." I told him I didnt need him to work on it, I just need some valve shims. He put me on hold and transfered me to the parts department. I was just laughing my ass off while I was on hold.

So back on track it should be a simple fix for a competent mechanic.

The Yamaha dealer/mechanic says it's a death trap and didn't offer a fix, told me to put the original front end when I asked the service guy for price was told 1300+ labor. I'm having a friend of mine help me take the front forks off and will take it to another Yamaha dealer.
Hopefully I can get fixed and start enjoying the ride.

LOL... death trap! Think of the children!! :rofl_200: Try phoning Tom, I know he is usually pretty busy, but you will get faster results if you talk to him.

could u just take the forks off the bike and bring them to a shop since they are yamaha forks and tell them to fix them that way and don't tell them what they are off of? i think its a better bet u working on them yourself, but thats a potential work around

could u just take the forks off the bike and bring them to a shop since they are yamaha forks and tell them to fix them that way and don't tell them what they are off of? i think its a better bet u working on them yourself, but thats a potential work around

Good thinking, I'll just don't mention anything about the VMAX, it's 2006 Warrior foks.

Thanks bud.

LOL... death trap! Think of the children!! :rofl_200: Try phoning Tom, I know he is usually pretty busy, but you will get faster results if you talk to him.

I'll do that, just have to take a break from work and try calling Tom in a day time.
The problem I'm running into is no seen that setup before.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back