I HAVE TO REMOVE IGNITION TO GET KEY MADE IS IT HARD ? 85 VMAX 1200

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie g

Reaction score
I HAVE TO REMOVE IGNITION TO GET KEY MADE IS IT HARD ? 85 VMAX 1200

Never done it so can't say without looking at the manual.

Note that the same key opens the fuel cap and releases the tank cover.

I suspect yamaha won't have made it easy for security reasons.

You won't remove the fuel cap without a key so the tank release may be the easiest to attempt?

Yes to pretty-easy to remove the ignition switch. Several 6mm screws. Unplug the harness. I believe the side air horn and the vanity plastic cover over the ign switch have to be removed.

You might get lucky and have a sticker on the bottom of the switch with a numerical code.

The code is on the side of the ignition cylinder or on the bracket itself. it's a black sticker and easy to miss. The code has to be read at just the right angle to the light.

I'm stuck in this same situation. Only had one key and didn't go get a copy. Now the only key I had is lost. Grrr. can only be mad at myself. Is there any difference between the 85 and my 02? Can I still pull the ignition switch without the key as the faux tank is also locked with a key that I now do not have.

I think you will need to have a locksmith pick a lock, and then make a key from that cylinder. You have the steering head lock, the ignition lock, the faux tank lock and the gas cap lock, newer bikes have a helmet lock. It may be that the number of pins is more on the ignition lock, compared to the helmet lock.

I think you will need to have a locksmith pick a lock, and then make a key from that cylinder. You have the steering head lock, the ignition lock, the faux tank lock and the gas cap lock, newer bikes have a helmet lock. It may be that the number of pins is more on the ignition lock, compared to the helmet lock.
So I will try to keep this updated, I was able to get the faux tank removed by pulling the seat then squeezing my fingers in under the latch to release it and remove. From there fairly easy to remove the ignition switch. Mine still has the black sticker on it as mentioned in a different thread. The hardest part so far has been trying to read the code on the sticker. The lighting must have to be perfect. I've not had much luck so far on locksmiths but am continuing to search.

So I will try to keep this updated, I was able to get the faux tank removed by pulling the seat then squeezing my fingers in under the latch to release it and remove. From there fairly easy to remove the ignition switch. Mine still has the black sticker on it as mentioned in a different thread. The hardest part so far has been trying to read the code on the sticker. The lighting must have to be perfect. I've not had much luck so far on locksmiths but am continuing to search.

"Joe's Cycle Shop, Inc. / Al's Key Shop" Dayton OH

I bought a Yamaha Raptor from them years ago and found it odd it was also a key shop. Not necessarily recommending but an idea

Try your cellphone camera with light at several different angles of incidence, and then play with enlarging the picture.

This happened to me a few yrs ago, remove ign. and take to local locksmith. The other locks aren't as specific as ign.

Just an update, I got the ignition switch out and finally found a locksmith that could cut the keys. took them all of about 10 minutes. Thanks for all the help guys. I added a image to show what the sticker looked like. If I didn't read about it in a thread here I don't know that I would have known it was a code tag. The locksmith was able to read it right away.20220903_142304[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back