I moved my helmet lock, better location

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanneal

Reaction score
Factory position has helmet resting on pipes. Not good when hot. So, I moved it to my back rack.... And I ordered a second one for the other side so I can lock 2 helmets easily for my sweetie...

Old position mounted to the frame plate

image.jpg

image.jpg
New position

Does anyone know if the new lock I ordered OEM from dealer is universal to all ignition keys, or i presume I will get a new key, or have to re-key to match current key. Dealer didn't know.

Left side of bike, by the side cover I think. You will need to re-do the tumblers to match your existing key. Not too bad of a job to do, but there are a lot of small tumblers and springs in there. A locksmith can hook you up, or maybe Ed (Custommax) will chime in.....he does it for a living!

Yamaha used this same lock on most of their bikes for quite a while, so getting one from a junk yard or flea bay is pretty easy if you want one. Does your bike have the threaded mounting hole Wayne?

Just had me looking all over my Vmax for a helmet lock, looks like no luck. Normally I just leave it sitting on the Sissy bar or take it in with me.

Looks like it might be added to my project list and the placement of Ryaneal's seems to be ideal instead of near the front left scoop where it was initially.

Wasn't initially by the front scoop....its by the left side panel. Directly below your left butt cheek, and back a little :)

Attachments

• pipe 001.jpg
    pipe 001.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 69
Yamaha used this same lock on most of their bikes for quite a while, so getting one from a junk yard or flea bay is pretty easy if you want one. Does your bike have the threaded mounting hole Wayne?

Not that I can tell. Don't look like there were ever any n I painted frame over winter n didn't see this lock you speak of.

They were added sometime during the model run. Don't remember what year. Terrible location. I never use mine because of helmet resting on muffler. If you have a 4 into 1 then you are ok. No muffler on the left side. :biglaugh:

They were added sometime during the model run. Don't remember what year. Terrible location. I never use mine because of helmet resting on muffler. If you have a 4 into 1 then you are ok. No muffler on the left side. :biglaugh:
Yep, terrible location. I have to waite for my pipe to cool down before I can lock it up. Or Have a melted helmet when I got back to my bike:confused2:

Back