I need advise about buying a GPS for my bikes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I've been looking at GPS's for my bikes quite a while now. I can't seem to get past the part of them being so expensive for a bike. My troubles are bigger because I want to be able to use it on any of the bikes... That could mean that I need to pick up multiple sets of mounting hardware. What are you all using and how do you mount the unit. If you don't have a waterproof unit, how do you protect it from the elements. How do you hear it. :confused2:

Basically, Help..... Anything will be appreciated...

Dave

I was planing on puting a gps on my bike and my wife wanted smart phones so i put the money into them and now i have a mini lap top with me. What i do is set up a route and print and take it with me. When i stop for gas or food i look at it. By the time i get the route printed i have most of it in my head. anything else i need to know i can get from my phone. The only time i use a gps is when im in my semi. You cant back double's up and you might need to go a long ways before you find a place to get turned around. On my bike if i do get lost its just another adventure.

I run a RAM handlebar mount and my Garmin GPSMAP 76CSX. It works great for all my toys, snowmobile, boats, cars whatever. The mount can be removed and changed quick or more can be bought for cheap.

Love it!

If you have money Garmin zumo.
Else (like me) garmin nuvi with bike mount and waterproof casing. i added an hard wire too.

Dave - I've been using a Magellan 1424 for a couple years now. No doubt about it - a GPS can be a useful device, particularily when trying to find a specific service , such as the nearest gas station or campground. Also, having true speed, elevation, direction, time to destination, etc., makes a trip more interesting.
I opted for a car-specific model because I didn't want to invest too heavily in something that could be easily ripped off (although I do usually disconnect and store the GPS, when stopped for extended times). Rain is no problem - a plastic baggie provides waterproofing.
For bike use, a headphone jack, or Bluetooth capability is absolutely essential - you won't be able to hear the commands above city speeds, even lower if you use a full-face helmet. I installed a jack in my unit, and use a single earbud when I use the device. Not a modification I would recommend, however. Too much hassle!
Also, look for a model that allows "paved highways only". My GPS doesn't have this option, and has often pointed me down "roads" only suitable for dunebuggys.
For mounting, I made up a custom holder for the GPS, with it's own sunshade (in direct sun, you will not be able to see the display, which is another reason why you have to be able to hear the commands) I have it mounted so that I can easily work the touch-screen while riding, although I try to keep this to a minimum.
Cheers!

Attachments

• West tour 2010 006.jpg
    West tour 2010 006.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 21
Here's what gets me there Dave, I use the GPS app. on my Verizon cell phone. It works great and has about the same features as most units. I have a blue tooth helmet set I bought for under $100. The directions come over the head set. No visual distraction or mounted unit on my bars.You can stash your phone anywhere on the bike or pocket It is also handy to get a call you would have missed. Your voice activates the phone, so if you don't want to answer, you don't have too. I wish I'd bought the next model up from mine, it wasn't a lot more. Hope this helps out. Now, if only Verizon had a radar detector app, that would be sweeet?
Steve

Here's what gets me there Dave, I use the GPS app. on my Verizon cell phone. It works great and has about the same features as most units. I have a blue tooth helmet set I bought for under $100. The directions come over the head set. No visual distraction or mounted unit on my bars.You can stash your phone anywhere on the bike or pocket It is also handy to get a call you would have missed. Your voice activates the phone, so if you don't want to answer, you don't have too. I wish I'd bought the next model up from mine, it wasn't a lot more. Hope this helps out. Now, if only Verizon had a radar detector app, that would be sweeet?
Steve

what headset do you have? sorry to steal the thread here a little bit.

I have used the Garmin Zumo 550 for about 5 years without any problems. I highly recommend it for anyone on a bike that also wants XM radio. If you don't need XM I'd use the less expensive one. I have moved this on the bike and truck when I needed to and have it mounted on the bike using mostly the hardware that came with it. Has worked well every time I've used it and it gets used often.

I like others on here use my Android with head phones. There is an app for that

I run a RAM handlebar mount .... The mount can be removed and changed quick or more can be bought for cheap.

I love the RAM mount, I use one for my cameras. I like the way its not a total mount and that you get to pick what you want, mounts for phones, GPS, Cameras, iPods and more. I use the mount that attaches to one of the reserviors on the bars + a couple of adaptors (one for the flip camera and one for the gopro. These things are great, made all the difference in the world with vibration when I changed over to it vs my other mount.

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx#/wizard

Here are a couple of pics of my old mount, and the new RAM mount. It holds the cameras real nice, not made of plastic but aluminum. It's real tough. IMO, best mounting system out there.

Attachments

• 37439_135218743170823_100000480955607_339873_3727270_n.jpg
    37439_135218743170823_100000480955607_339873_3727270_n.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 37439_135218749837489_100000480955607_339875_3705976_n.jpg
    37439_135218749837489_100000480955607_339875_3705976_n.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 223194_260469647312398_100000480955607_1153419_2304106_n.jpg
    223194_260469647312398_100000480955607_1153419_2304106_n.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 250149_260469620645734_100000480955607_1153418_3052528_n.jpg
    250149_260469620645734_100000480955607_1153418_3052528_n.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030486.jpg
    P1030486.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 16
  • P1030489.jpg
    P1030489.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 14
What ever gps device you end up going with, use a RAM mount system. I have RAM mounts on 3 bikes so I can easily swap around. I started off with a Garmin GPS MAP60CS, but since getting an Android phone and a RAM mount for it, I doubt if I'll ever use the Garmin on the bike anymore.

i have a zumo 660 and i like it a lot. they are expensive but they stand by their product. my buddy wrecked his bike and they replaced his with a new one, no charge. seems like garmin would start coming down on prices since phones now come with free gps.

Wow, I really appreciate all the responses. Figured this would be a
Lame Duck Thread and take days to see a reply.... Thanx to all....
I'm checking out all the suggestions....

Most GPS devices use a "pressure" touchscreen, as opposed to "capacitive" touchscreens found on smartphones and other stuff. The difference is capacitive screens detect a "touch" by your finger disrupting an electrical field, why they won't work with gloves or behind a cover.

Pressure touchscreens work just fine inside a ziploc baggie. In the rare case I take a GPS on the bike I just velcro it to the handlebar clamp, then stick a baggie around it. It's a standard garmin automotive unit. Of course I got caught in a downpour the one time I took electronics on the bike, but it survived just fine.

I suppose it wasn't the neatest or most professional system, but effective. Usually I couldn't care less where I am on the bike, making a GPS pointless.

I'd agree that Garmin is the top notch stuff though. I have an automotive nuvi, and a eTrex Venture handheld, and both have worked flawlessly for years.

Else (like me) garmin nuvi with bike mount and waterproof casing. i added an hard wire too.

This is the same route I took. But be careful which nuvi model you buy, if going the less expensive way.........get one with an outlet for adding the hardwire to your headsets. Mine doesn't have this feature (didn't know to look for it when I purchased), and I have to rely on looking at the screen, which can be a PITA if the sun is just wrong. I got a stick on screen sunshade to help with that, but still have trouble at some times of the day, and going certain directions.

Also note, SENA headsets with the bluetooth technology won't mate to the less expensive nuvi models either. Sena techies tell me it is the fault of the people at nuvi not building the feature into their GPS devices, and not the other way around. The nuvi will mate to my wifes' phone, but not to my helmet sets.

This is the same route I took. But be careful which nuvi model you buy, if going the less expensive way.........get one with an outlet for adding the hardwire to your headsets. Mine doesn't have this feature (didn't know to look for it when I purchased), and I have to rely on looking at the screen, which can be a PITA if the sun is just wrong. I got a stick on screen sunshade to help with that, but still have trouble at some times of the day, and going certain directions.

Also note, SENA headsets with the bluetooth technology won't mate to the less expensive nuvi models either. Sena techies tell me it is the fault of the people at nuvi not building the feature into their GPS devices, and not the other way around. The nuvi will mate to my wifes' phone, but not to my helmet sets.

+1
I got screwed discovering I didn't have 3.5 audio output on my Nuvi 1490t and that the Bluetooth won't pair with my intercom. It does the job despite not having the voice navigation. Still trying to find a workaround... :bang head:

I'm taking all this in... Guess it's really worth spending the extra $$$$$$....

Added: I've been checking specs all night. Frigging Zumo's are expensive and don't seem to come with lifetime updates.
But for weatherproof, looks like the only game really... Almost convinced on the Zumo 550... None seem to be perfect though.

This is mostly what i'm doing as well.......Nuvi on a RAM mount.....works well. haven't got caught in bad weather yet......don't use the audio. just watch the big purple arrow from time to time.......wanted it mostly for when leading groups or trying to get off the same old routes for new secondary roads.....would love a Zumo some day. They must be awesome cause nobody seems to part with them. been watching for a used one.........

Back