I need to REDUCE air intake

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi all:

I've asked a version of this question before, but I need to ask it in a different way:

Let's assume I cannot do any carb work at all on the bike (in this case, a 1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer)...and it currently has the individual K&N filters on it, one for each of the 4 carburetors...

Is there any type of cover I can put over each of these 4 air filters so that I can REDUCE air intake? (I know K&N sells what they call a "Drycharger" cover, but I'm not sure if it will reduce air intake sufficiently.)

Remember, I am not allowed to modify the carbs themselves in any way.

Thanks muchly!

Elimax

How about putting back on the original airbox? I may have a spare around here? Otherwise you can tape off some of the filter (or even silicon over part of the area).

Thanks for the info, Sean...I actually have the old airbox, but the rubber boots are old and have shrunken somewhat. They can't seem to seal correctly, no matter how much pressure I put on 'em!

When you say use silicon, is there a specific kind you recommend?

Thanks.

Aaron

Think the best would be to return to stock if possible, assuming the carbs aren't jetted but if that isn't possible the tape is probly the next best way to go. You can restrict air in a more measurable way....by adding one strip at a time and testing. :confused2:

Think the best would be to return to stock if possible, assuming the carbs aren't jetted but if that isn't possible the tape is probly the next best way to go. You can restrict air in a more measurable way....by adding one strip at a time and testing. :confused2:

+ 1 , pretty basic yet effective

Thanks. What does "one strip at a time" mean...a strip of tape?

Elimax

Yes, cover a little bit at a time until you get the desired effect (running like you want it). Once you make sure it's like you want then you can silicon it off for more permanent use.

Sean

Excellent. Thank you. Do you have any suggestions for the silicon I should use?

Aaron

Plain old regular clear silicon you can get at the hardware store (lowes/ect...) You want SILICON and not acrylic.

i believe maleko used to put a strip of duckt tape on his morley air box when the temps got low... i could be mistaken.

Back