I need your valuable opinions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Hi All,

I ordered a set of exhaust from Mark's, they are 4 into 2 black ceramic. I'm having second thought about the black, I plan to do chrome work on my bike, scoops, carb covers, hand grab and side covers.

I'm wondering if the chrome pipes will look better on my 2007 VMAX with the new chrome work on my bike

What do you think? here is a pic of my bike with the current pipes which are black and you can see the motor and imagine the parts I mentioned chromed. Do you think Black pipes or chrome from mark's ?

ufo_pipes.jpg

Chrome all the way, blk pipes are gay (lol), unless you have the carbon model vmax !

Chrome all the way, blk pipes are gay (lol), unless you have the carbon model vmax !

easy now. i'm getting some holeshot black ceramic but i have a matte black bike... i like the black look myself, but chrome would look good if ur getting all that other stuff done. big $$ difference i assume tho?

Well Mark just made my decisiom a lot easier. He doesn't do chrome anymore because unless your header pipes are doubled walled like the stock exhaust the chrome always turns colors and then looks bad.

Mark said that the black ceramic pipes that he does go well with the satin,flat or dull finish or whatever you want to call it....lol of my 2007 motor so I will stick with the Black.

Thanks for your opinions anyways..

Ron

Call Mark back and ask him about this:

http://www.hpcoatings.com/chromeshield.html

I've never tried it myself, but sounds like it solves the discoloring problem with chrome on single walled pipes. If you do end up doing this, let us know how it turns out. It sounds pretty tempting...

Mark already told me that the claims about chrome not coloring is BS, he said no matter what places tell you the chrome will turn colors. Since he worked for kerker and now has his own business that everyone on here seems to think highly of I trust what he says and won't question him.

Plus, even if this works I can only imagine the cost. I think I'll be fine with the black ceramic.

Thanks
Ron

The only issue with coating the head pipes is the fact that they will chip after a while and look bad. His stock stainless you can always make look like new again. I have an 06 which is the same as the 07 and I think they look fine with the stainless. My last pipes had 3200 miles on them and the ceramic coating was already getting beat up in front.

Just thought you should know.

The only issue with coating the head pipes is the fact that they will chip after a while and look bad. His stock stainless you can always make look like new again. I have an 06 which is the same as the 07 and I think they look fine with the stainless. My last pipes had 3200 miles on them and the ceramic coating was already getting beat up in front.

Do you have a picture of your bike with the stainless pipes so I can see how it looks?

Soon... Very soon...

I hope soon enough for me to change my order if I like it..... You know what really sucks, just when I listened to someone who said ceranic was the way to go then someone suggests chrome, then I find out Mark doesn't do chrome so I'm back to Black ceramic and now stainless is suggested. You guys really know how to confuse someone........lol

I'm joking, I know you are all trying to help but damn.......I wish everyone could agree on one.........lol

Do a tag search for Marks and you'll see a lot of pics. Someone here has an 06 with them and posted pics.

Were the coated pipes you had problems with from Mark's??

Here ya go, lots of info on Mark's SS pipes on a '06 and on my '92.
Here are some recent photo's of Redbone w/ Marks exhaust.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 26
The headers look colored so I guess no matter what finish you get there is a chance of the pipes getting colored.... Think I'll stick with the black ceramic.

Thanks for the pic's though

Ron

If anyone manages to find a header pipe in ANY finish that does not discolour, chip or get covered in road crap, LET US ALL KNOW.

As far as I know, they don't exist.

Triple Chrome rules :punk:

That is my point so my first choice of black ceramis is the one I am going with.

Yeah stainless turns a nice bronze color with time but it won't chip or flake like others... You can usually get several years out of ceramic before it starts looking dull and starts chipping. Some manufacturers have a warranty but I'm not sure that applies to motorcycles as they tend to take a bit more abuse.

Black will look good!

Chris

Blk looks tuff. Seems to be popular these days with Rat rods
etcetera. Look at the HD nighttrain and Crossbones. I personally
will be slowly blacking out my bike. Mirrors and levers 1st.
Lata

Yeah stainless turns a nice bronze color with time but it won't chip or flake like others... You can usually get several years out of ceramic before it starts looking dull and starts chipping. Some manufacturers have a warranty but I'm not sure that applies to motorcycles as they tend to take a bit more abuse.

Black will look good!

Chris

I just talked to Mark for about 15 minutes about the black ceramic chipping after time and he said he didn't see that with his, he said if a ceramic pipe chips it is due to the pre work before applying the ceramic, i.e. finger prints, not cleaning the pipes good.

With that said he did agree if I want to be 100% sure of no chipping stainless would be the best option, he said they do change color but the color on the header pipes can be cleaned to look new again.

I also asked him about the loudness of the 12" cans I ordered and he said what I could do is get the 14" cans and if they are too quiet it is very easy to cut them down. Just remove cap, cut and replace screw holes then replace caps.. I think that is the way I am going.

So because Mark said he has not tested any exhaust for 300 miles or 3 years to find out if black ceramic chips he can't say no they will not chip but does offer a 1 year warranty because he feels if they will chip from poor pre work it will happen in the first year.

With that all said I have changed my mind to stainless with 14 cans no turn down tips.

Thanks for all your opinions

Ron

Back