• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

I removed my listing for sale.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hah, that's actually not-far from what it means, it's shredded beef (flank steak is commonly-used) with vegetables, and you can add or subtract according to taste. Read about the 'old clothes' explanation in the link.

Congris: black beans with white rice, mixed.

Fried plantains, which become deliciously-caramelized.

I bet if you try this, it will become something you look forward to enjoying-again.

The styrofoam container is what I had for lunch yesterday. Six dollars from a local food counter, Miami.
https://www.daringgourmet.com/best-ropa-vieja-the-national-dish-of-cuba/View attachment 73717
View attachment 73718

Never had Cuban food. I've heard it's quite good but a bit too spicy for most.
Try that recipe, it's representative of Cuban food, but to characterize it as 'spicy,' I don't think is what it really-is and I eat it almost every-day. Paella is a good dish to-have, it's delicious. In Miami, it's a holiday dish or one for a family celebration. Local businesses have huge-diameter paella dishes they prepare it in, as-in 'feet-across,' for large groups.

Paella-Seafood-And-Sausage.gif

Many foods popular among Cuban households may have a similar recipe in another Caribbean country. I don't-see any need to insist, "only Cuban!" and trying a different preparation may show you that your taste-buds appreciate another regional preparation. Also, like almost any food, if you want, try a variation, and see if it's an improvement; if it isn't, you always can return to the recipe you started-with.

If you've never-had a tostone, "bet you can't eat just-one!" A perfect snack for a Superbowl party, or any party!
Tostones (Fried Green Plantains) - Host The Toast

Tostones good and crispy.jpg

Another favorite of mine is picadillo, easy to prepare, fairly-quick, not-expensive, and really-good.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ingrid-hoffmann/cuban-picadillo-recipe-2047190Cuban-Picadillo.jpg

huckeby1, your bike is a great example of custom work for appearance. If you've lived in Ormond Beach for a long-time, I wonder if you brought that to Joe Rauff's place in Holly Hill during Bike Week? Something that colorful is hard to-forget. It kinda-strikes a memory with me of having seen it, or another with a similar pinata paint-job. For some reason I'm thinking it may have-been parked at the Speedway during the races, and I may have-seen it or something similar while walking from my bike into the racetrack. I'm pretty-sure that's one I would have snapped a pic of, but I don't have my pics easily-organized for retrieval, other than by date.

As someone formerly from NYC, I have had Cuban food. GOOOOOOD food. And yes, they love their spicy. And being from NY, you cant be a true NYer unless you make the pilgrimage to Buffalo. Specifically, the Anchor Bar. The place that started the chicken wing. Alot of bars and pizzerias in NY do pizza and wing combos. Alot of these places love trying out the, "lets burn the throat" hot wings. And I love spicy food. So I try EVERY hot wing I can find.

Fast forward to my moving to New Mexico. The locals thought they could burn this Yankee with their chili peppers. Of course it started tame with jalapenos. Then they thought they had me with a ghost pepper. Very good flavor. I think chicken wings would be good with a ghost pepper sauce for the chicken wings.

For Cuban foods, I always like their Pernil. I dont know how well I would fare now as I pretty much got burnt out on pork. Hunting hogs for a while and taking home all the bacon you could ever want burns one out pretty quick. But I remember the sauce this one place would use. A sweet and spicy get up. Maybe I need a trip back to NY and get an order to go, LOL.

I live in Georgia. About the only culture we have is in little 5 points after night fall.

And that's pretty thin.

Try that recipe, it's representative of Cuban food, but to characterize it as 'spicy,' I don't think is what it really-is and I eat it almost every-day. Paella is a good dish to-have, it's delicious. In Miami, it's a holiday dish or one for a family celebration. Local businesses have huge-diameter paella dishes they prepare it in, as-in 'feet-across,' for large groups.

View attachment 73731

Many foods popular among Cuban households may have a similar recipe in another Caribbean country. I don't-see any need to insist, "only Cuban!" and trying a different preparation may show you that your taste-buds appreciate another regional preparation. Also, like almost any food, if you want, try a variation, and see if it's an improvement; if it isn't, you always can return to the recipe you started-with.

If you've never-had a tostone, "bet you can't eat just-one!" A perfect snack for a Superbowl party, or any party!
Tostones (Fried Green Plantains) - Host The Toast

View attachment 73730

Another favorite of mine is picadillo, easy to prepare, fairly-quick, not-expensive, and really-good.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ingrid-hoffmann/cuban-picadillo-recipe-2047190View attachment 73729
I used to live in San Antonio, and you could get picadillo tacos everywhere. Down here on the border, it's not very popular. In fact, when I ask for it, I get a poor representation of what I'm used to.

Please stop with the posts. It’s a dead issue and won’t be brought up again. I have received much help from
The vmax community and appreciate and represent the help. The post was removed or tried to be removed for this reason.

As someone formerly from NYC, I have had Cuban food. GOOOOOOD food. And yes, they love their spicy. And being from NY, you cant be a true NYer unless you make the pilgrimage to Buffalo. Specifically, the Anchor Bar. The place that started the chicken wing. Alot of bars and pizzerias in NY do pizza and wing combos. Alot of these places love trying out the, "lets burn the throat" hot wings. And I love spicy food. So I try EVERY hot wing I can find.

Fast forward to my moving to New Mexico. The locals thought they could burn this Yankee with their chili peppers. Of course it started tame with jalapenos. Then they thought they had me with a ghost pepper. Very good flavor. I think chicken wings would be good with a ghost pepper sauce for the chicken wings.

For Cuban foods, I always like their Pernil. I dont know how well I would fare now as I pretty much got burnt out on pork. Hunting hogs for a while and taking home all the bacon you could ever want burns one out pretty quick. But I remember the sauce this one place would use. A sweet and spicy get up. Maybe I need a trip back to NY and get an order to go, LOL.
While you’re here, don’t forget Dinosaur BBQ, or Nick Tahoe’s, either———

While you’re here, don’t forget Dinosaur BBQ, or Nick Tahoe’s, either———
In Rochester, home of Larry Fitzgerald and LCR Performance for your VMax work:
It's Nick Tahou's, for the Garbage Plate. Might as-well try The Genesee Brew House:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ew_House-Rochester_Finger_Lakes_New_York.htmlBy the Genesee River, and the Genesee Brewery. I suspect the outside dining may be closed for the season, though it does have great views of the Genesee River.

In Rochester, home of Larry Fitzgerald and LCR Performance for your VMax work:
It's Nick Tahou's, for the Garbage Plate. Might as-well try The Genesee Brew House:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ew_House-Rochester_Finger_Lakes_New_York.htmlBy the Genesee River, and the Genesee Brewery. I suspect the outside dining may be closed for the season, though it does have great views of the Genesee River.
Yep, that’s right on all points—— and they did a real good job on the remodeling a few years back, and the food is outstanding. The last time I was there was back in December for a conference. The beer keg Christmas tree is always a cool sight.

Yep, that’s right on all points—— and they did a real good job on the remodeling a few years back, and the food is outstanding. The last time I was there was back in December for a conference. The beer keg Christmas tree is always a cool sight.
A couple of my Florida refrigerator magnets I got at the Genesee Brew House last time I was in Rochester. They're on a Gladiator tool cabinet in my garage.

I'll add some more pics I described, gotta run an errand.

A shot of the Genesee Brew House building, and the historical marker for it. A pic of one of the places to-eat, at the bar. They have tables and you can climb the stairs or use the elevator to enjoy the outside seating.

Genesee Brew House.jpg

Genesee Brew House plaque.jpg

The guy who took me there, while I was visiting, has a huge collection of bikes. There were 5 brothers, they were all involved in bikes-racing building, selling. He was the Kawasaki dealer in Rochester for many years, now retired. Here's a shot of his brother's place down in Dundee, the Finger Lakes region, showing a CZ motocrosser and a Bultaco flat tracker.

Genesee refrigerator magnets.jpg

Latest posts

Back