• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

I removed my listing for sale.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
while completely understanding that my opinion potentially does not carry any weight, i would still like to say something in regards to this back and forth situation.

As a new member to this great forum, I have not engaged in much communication with its members. I am factually an outsider to this group. I do not factually exist to this group. Im not real. Any life experience or knowledge or lack thereof in regards to vmaxes or personal fortitude or integrity etc are frankly not real.

If as an outsider I then proceed to communicate in what may be a normal discourse in my own life to another group, such as this forum. It MUST be personally understood that my well intention communication might not be received in the same manner as intended.

I assume Mr. Huckeby is basically good with a good intention, but somehow his communication was not well received. This resulted in him being upset about that. I imagine most veterans of this sight could agree with that. Being a forum style communication channel, the quality of such is completely dependent on the users ability to form his thoughts and concepts into text. This text then must be duplicated by the recipient.
Too often and too easily can this form of comm get reacted upon. You don’t get any inflection and punctilio gets lost.
Mr. FM, you appear a learned man, with this I hope comes greater understanding of others.
Mr. H. If you would like to participate in this forum for all the great resource it is, I would suggest to simply contribute to the forum.
That is really all this group needs and wants from its members insofar as I can tell.
Contribution by way of exchange of knowledge interspersed with some occasion discourse. Courteous discourse.

That is a well-written observation. Time to look-forward.

Please go to the Columbia Restaurant and have a ropa vieja with congris and plantanos on-me, with a cold Sam Adams.

Last edited:

Please go to the Columbia Restaurant and have a ropa vieja with congris and plantanos on-me, with a cold Sam Adams.
Thank goodness for online dictionaries.

Let's see pics of your 'rat-bike' 🐭 exhaust patching. 'Necessity is the mother of invention.'

View attachment 73667

There we go Fire-medic. Trigger in the bare flesh, no patches on the exhausts can be seen, although I do admit my post suggested I was pop riveting plates everywhere I could find a hole LoL 😀. Its a nice condition bike, but could have done with polishing the cam covers whilst I had it stripped for the carbs and valve clearances. On one photo u will see some ref oxide paint showing through the black VHT paint, but difficult to find. So far my pop riveting job has done the trick. The wheels are a bit oxidised and not sure how to go about cleaning them up, I prefer the original machine turned look, but they have some pitting on them and cant think what the next step is with them. Any suggestions on that front would be greatly appreciated.EDC7D1A9-95A1-45D0-8DD2-8EEB242F2907.jpegFCBA263E-1248-45AE-A341-FD4003C20528.jpegB1D670F4-61CF-4350-B115-7ECB1E0F1556.jpeg9419AC02-5B88-4DB4-9B3C-3D12DE92A5E4.jpegE71E53EB-8F1A-44A0-9895-4CB31EA831D4.jpeg6315BBE5-ADDB-4931-A31F-AEEBCA4DEB1B.jpeg03767E18-44FF-455C-B02D-190896801480.jpeg
My other bike is a completely original 1989 gsxr 750 slingshot with 13k miles (Wee Trigger) love the bike but it cripples me after about 50 miles, so will be selling next year.

Pullease.

You wound the joker up and engaged him on no fewer than five posts and now you’re backing down? Hell, it’s just now getting fun. The guy can barely employ words with more than two syllables, backs nothing up with empirical evidence, spews bile, and has so far and mercifully, not bled his poison into adjacent threads. Maybe this poor lost topic can be the vehicle that allows him to burn himself out.

Or our moderators, if there are any, could simply lock him out.
That doesn't work, because they just come back under a new account from a new location, to rejoin.

What does ropa vieja translate to? Where I'm from, it would be "Old Clothes." Just trying to keep things lite, and I'm one that has Cobras on his bike, but I've already been scoping out something else.

What does ropa vieja translate to? Where I'm from, it would be "Old Clothes." Just trying to keep things lite, and I'm one that has Cobras on his bike, but I've already been scoping out something else.
Hah, that's actually not-far from what it means, it's shredded beef (flank steak is commonly-used) with vegetables, and you can add or subtract according to taste. Read about the 'old clothes' explanation in the link.

Congris: black beans with white rice, mixed.

Fried plantains, which become deliciously-caramelized.

I bet if you try this, it will become something you look forward to enjoying-again.

The styrofoam container is what I had for lunch yesterday. Six dollars from a local food counter, Miami.
https://www.daringgourmet.com/best-ropa-vieja-the-national-dish-of-cuba/Ropa-Vieja.jpg
ropa vieja.02.jpeg

Last edited:
All my bikes have factory exhaust, factory jetting, etc..... I pretty much prefer OEM. For a faster more powerful ride, I take out a faster more powerful ride. I have 96 bikes, all except a handful are Yamahas..... about half of them currently run.... 12 are registered and legally for the road. Two are Vmax, all but a handful are XJ-series. Two are trophy winners, one has 10 trophies now. Enough blah blah, I know what I’m doing with my bikes.

To the point—one bike that is not a yammy is my 1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. When I got it, the original exhaust had been previously removed ( it hangs from my ceiling with its blue plastic still on it, never used) and had cobra long shotguns on it. It still has them on. I have no clue what it felt like before them. But, the performance level increased dramatically when I had carb work done— I sent them out to Washington for some machining and a stage III upgrade and added the appropriate K&N open air filter. NOW its got some balls.

if I want to ride cruising with heavy, power, torque- I ride the Intruder.

if I feel like riding loud show-off and obnoxious- I ride my BigDog.

If I want to ride FAST- I ride my XJ 900rk Seca

if I want to blow the Harleys away with a cult-bike and turn heads-I ride my VMax

If I want to ride nimble and zippy, I’ll ride my XJ700X

if I’m riding long distance or just an average daily ride to work - I ride my XJ700

for me— if I want a more powerful ride, I get on a more powerful bike...... Etc——- I ride what matches how I want to ride at the time.

A plus is that I can ride A LOT and keep all odometers low :)

dfox

Screwloose
You could use a S.O.S. pad to clean the rim up only in the direction of the rim & Mothers to polish.

Hah, that's actually not-far from what it means, it's shredded beef (flank steak is commonly-used) with vegetables, and you can add or subtract according to taste. Read about the 'old clothes' explanation in the link.

Congris: black beans with white rice, mixed.

Fried plantains, which become deliciously-caramelized.

I bet if you try this, it will become something you look forward to enjoying-again.

The styrofoam container is what I had for lunch yesterday. Six dollars from a local food counter, Miami.
https://www.daringgourmet.com/best-ropa-vieja-the-national-dish-of-cuba/View attachment 73717
View attachment 73718
I should have looked at where you're from. Cuban food! I've never tried it, but it looks like a variation of the Mexican food we have here. It looks good! I'll have to find a Cuban restaurant around here.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but food is better than fighting, right?

Screwloose
You could use a S.O.S. pad to clean the rim up only in the direction of the rim & Mothers to polish.
Hi mate.
Just looked up the products u mention. I’m going to get them within the week. I was trying scotch pad and various metal cleaners and not getting a good enough finish, i backed off before making a mess of them, but i never thought of the soap pads and mothers.
Sounds good, thanks allot mate.

Tired of the Cobra posts..sure but I gotta jump in here with all you thin skinned sissies.
It seems some of you didn't read the original post from Poolio. Who the hell criticizes a
fellow Vmaxer who is trying to sell? A pig hunter?
It seems CH was coming to the aid of Poolio and a few others jumped in with more
criticism of the Cobras. Long and boring with a lot of specs and examples. And the pig
hunter dissapeared?

You would think exhaust is the only way to make power for the Gen 1. Not sure why CH let a
few Monday Morning Quarterbacks get him fired up. You know 'em...MMQ's..the pussies
who never had the balls to play football in high school or college but they can quote all the
spec's and name all the players. AND they criticize everyone. They need the attention.

Back in the day CH and I rode everything we could get our hands on..Norton'MAX9 copy.jpgs, Triumph's,
Ducati's, 1 Water buffalo, a couple Z1's and a bunch of dirt bikes. We raced everyone..in the
dirt, on the street, and occasionally at the track. Then the Vmax...

Yes I had drilled out Cobras on my 88 Vmax and loved them...I like noise and bling on a bike.
When I went from stock to Cobra I didn't even notice the HUGE drop in power. As CH stated,
I still beat every Vmax I ran against. Almost no one else wanted to race..I had the VMFF..
the Vmax fear factor. I did have a few things going on to overcome the HUGE loss. I rebuilt
the carb's at least once a year during the 11 years I owned the 88. Stage 12, reversed shifter,
body work, lowered 3". Still a stock motor..still a street bike. Never NOS on a street bike
as was suggested (twice) by some know-it-all. And still the best looking pipes on a Gen 1.

Later on I found a lot of crotchrockets that could beat me. Who wants to ride one of those?
I'm just sayin' dyno figures are not the most important thing in racing. I think tires are very
important and just a tiny bit MAY belong to the rider. Knowing your power band, learning to
shift at the correct rpm, and reaction time.

I suspect you have a few MMQ's on this forum who have never even owned a Vmax and have
never been to a dragstrip except as a spectator.

Wow!! I mentioned long and boring posts and now I'm doing it. Sorry..one last note: When
I bought my '09 Gen 2 I quickly lost interest in the 88. I was so excited to be able to smoke
the rear tire in 3 gears. I was pretty deflated when I took it to the quarter track. Barely beat
the 88. Launching the heavy beast is near impossible with the junk Battleaxe tires. Maybe
I'll bore you with my quest to get into the 9's next post.

I hope we can all get on level ground and have fun with this forum.

You mentioned the water buffalo.... yup, one of the few non-Xj’s I have.
It’s a ‘75 GT750M, only 7,000 mi on it. Strange brown color that doesn’t seem like a repaint, but I can’t find any stock description.

Trying hard to restrain myself...but I cannot.

Dan, at-least we see where Craig learned the name-calling, and the keyboard commando insults. While I'm always willing to-hear others' experiences with their vehicles or rides, I don't see any 'value-added' benefit to use demeaning terms to describe numerous members while relating what-fun you've had on two wheels.

I'm pretty-sure I'm older than you, and from an early age I learned the importance of behaving as you wish others to treat you. Apparently that never-stuck in your household and it's probably a multi-generational thing. It's time to break the cycle. Rant all you want. Two relatives behaving in a way that has been avoided here for a long time, the forum doesn't need it.

You want to talk bikes, I'd like to listen. But please, stop the insults.

Trying hard to restrain myself...but I cannot.
I know the feeling.

My other bike is a completely original 1989 gsxr 750 slingshot with 13k miles (Wee Trigger) love the bike but it cripples me after about 50 miles, so will be selling next year.
That's a badass bike. Just beautiful. If my back and neck weren't so bad I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't make it 20 miles before giving it up.

But it would be a really fun 20 miles! :)

I know the feeling.

That's a badass bike. Just beautiful. If my back and neck weren't so bad I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't make it 20 miles before giving it up.

But it would be a really fun 20 miles! :)
Thanks allot, Yip i’ve had it 14 years and nearly killed myself twice on it, the last time I slowed to 140 mph to take a sweeping bend, but unfortunately the bend got tighter. The bike leads u into a false sense of security and convinces u its okay to do these stupid things, it handles like a racing bike and takes u right to the edge of skill. Nerves cracked eventually 😂. But apart from that I would need a collapsible wheelchair 🦽 to take on runs with me, and it would look so uncool carrying one, so it has to go. Sity-up VMax at least saves my back and arms, but does not do anything for the now cracked nerves.

Looks like you do have a hard time restraining yourself FM. I didn’t say anything but the truth and I don’t think we are any more abrasive than you. I think you may a little thin skinned. BTW I turned 82 last April so I may be a little older than you. I don’t race now. With my wrecked back I’m grateful I get to ride at all.

Looks like you do have a hard time restraining yourself FM. I didn’t say anything but the truth and I don’t think we are any more abrasive than you. I think you may a little thin skinned. BTW I turned 82 last April so I may be a little older than you. I don’t race now. With my wrecked back I’m grateful I get to ride at all.

I will give anybody, anybody who gets on a motorcycle at 82 a world of credit.

Hope I will be able to do that - (in 20 years).

Latest posts

Back