• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

I removed my listing for sale.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first Vmax had Cobras on it. It was a '98. The baffles had been punched out, so it was LOUD. I installed a switch to make the Vboost kick in at half the RPM of stock. At some point, I lowsided the bike and replaced the Cobras with a set of Jardine slipons. I don't recall there being a noticeable change in power output after switching to the Jardines--perhaps debaffling the Cobras negates their power loss? My second Vmax was an '02, and it had UFO slipons on it. It was ear-bleedingly loud. I bought smaller end caps and had baffling installed, which helped with the noise level. There were several years between the '98 and the '02, but I don't remember the '02 feeling noticeably different in power.

Meanwhile, on my Gen2, I switched from the stock exhaust with an Optimal Carbone x-pipe to a Hindle 4-1 full system, and while it was literally two months between when I started on the project and when I finished it (part of that downtime was sending the shock off to be revalved), my butt dyno says there is significantly more power. And I haven't even had the ECU reflashed for the Hindle system yet.

3, 4, 5 HP on 140 HP is 3-1/2 % at most and even if you find 10 HP even that's only 7 %. The butt dyno doesn't have that much resolution, not even counting the fact that the comparison's are usually on different days with different temp, humidity, wind, even road locations. (Do we time them or use the exact same secion of road to test top speed in eveery gear ?) The only way to know is with trusted dyno comparisons with corrected numbers. Even some mfr dyno stuff might be misleading.

Sell bikes ? I try very hard NOT to do that, only buy. # 35 arriving tomorrow, Duc FILA 999R, LE # 126 of 200.

I'm not usually in favor of censorship but that CH guy needs it.

My first Vmax had Cobras on it. It was a '98. The baffles had been punched out, so it was LOUD. I installed a switch to make the Vboost kick in at half the RPM of stock. At some point, I lowsided the bike and replaced the Cobras with a set of Jardine slipons. I don't recall there being a noticeable change in power output after switching to the Jardines--perhaps debaffling the Cobras negates their power loss? My second Vmax was an '02, and it had UFO slipons on it. It was ear-bleedingly loud. I bought smaller end caps and had baffling installed, which helped with the noise level. There were several years between the '98 and the '02, but I don't remember the '02 feeling noticeably different in power.

Meanwhile, on my Gen2, I switched from the stock exhaust with an Optimal Carbone x-pipe to a Hindle 4-1 full system, and while it was literally two months between when I started on the project and when I finished it (part of that downtime was sending the shock off to be revalved), my butt dyno says there is significantly more power. And I haven't even had the ECU reflashed for the Hindle system yet.

When you get the ECU reflashed, it will be night and day. I went from 170 hp and 108 tq, to 185hp and 119tq. One change that Ive made AFTER the last dyno run was to change the main filter from a specter to a DNA filter, it has significantly more area. Using the autotune, there were a few areas where the fuel was increased 8 and 12%. Now, not every area, but in a few, which I found interesting. I will try and dyno again in Dec

Attachments

• 124333526_694871831143213_3679916855129105875_n.jpg
    124333526_694871831143213_3679916855129105875_n.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
desert-max, write me if that CBX ever needs to move on. My brother in law runs the Renfair so I'd run out to vist them and bring it home. If they ever open up again I'll get you a couple tickets.

I find the original exhausts on the VMax Gen1 the nicest looking of all. I don't focus on increasing the power and just spent about a week patching my originals with many pop rivets and plates, and quite allot of exhaust paste. The first time i seen a VMax Gen 1 was way back when they first came out, i drove past it and thought ‘what an ugly bike’ i then spent all day thinking about that bike and decided its ‘so ugly that it has now become beautiful’. I’ve used that line a few times for different things 👿 but the VMax Gen 1 in original form is the most beautiful bike i’ve seen in my life. Hence the closeness of Trigger and I.

I find the original exhausts on the VMax Gen1 the nicest looking of all. I don't focus on increasing the power and just spent about a week patching my originals with many pop rivets and plates, and quite allot of exhaust paste. The first time i seen a VMax Gen 1 was way back when they first came out, i drove past it and thought ‘what an ugly bike’ i then spent all day thinking about that bike and decided its ‘so ugly that it has now become beautiful’. I’ve used that line a few times for different things 👿 but the VMax Gen 1 in original form is the most beautiful bike i’ve seen in my life. Hence the closeness of Trigger and I.
Let's see pics of your 'rat-bike' 🐭 exhaust patching. 'Necessity is the mother of invention.'

Mothers Freak Out.01.jpg

Last edited:
LoL. Wish I had taken some photos of the exhausts before I put them back on. The upper side of the collector box was totally peppered, I think condensation must lie up there, just under 1&3 exhaust outlets, also I don't have a welder so pop rivets and exhaust paste were my next choice. I then painted the collector box with oxide, and finished with VHT black spray. U cant see a thing, honestly! I should put a picture of Trigger on the site, its actually in good condition, 1999 canadian carbon, original everywhere, 18k miles and seen the rain maybe 4 times, which is good as it rains almost constantly in Glasgow.

When you get the ECU reflashed, it will be night and day. I went from 170 hp and 108 tq, to 185hp and 119tq. One change that Ive made AFTER the last dyno run was to change the main filter from a specter to a DNA filter, it has significantly more area. Using the autotune, there were a few areas where the fuel was increased 8 and 12%. Now, not every area, but in a few, which I found interesting. I will try and dyno again in Dec

Sorry, I should have clarified--my bike has a Guru tune for the now-removed Optimal Carbone x-pipe. I just haven't sent in my ECU to have the tune updated for the Hindle. It's a little grouchy on startup with the Hindle and I feel like the fueling may be a little off elsewhere in the RPM range, but even so, the bike feels significantly quicker. Oh, and the 4-1 sounds WAY better than the x-pipe with stock mufflers.

LoL. Wish I had taken some photos of the exhausts before I put them back on. The upper side of the collector box was totally peppered, I think condensation must lie up there, just under 1&3 exhaust outlets, also I don't have a welder so pop rivets and exhaust paste were my next choice. I then painted the collector box with oxide, and finished with VHT black spray. U cant see a thing, honestly! I should put a picture of Trigger on the site, its actually in good condition, 1999 canadian carbon, original everywhere, 18k miles and seen the rain maybe 4 times, which is good as it rains almost constantly in Glasgow.
Oh, I know all-about that because I'm watching The Spanish Princess here in the colonies.

Back