I rode a Gen2 ......

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2fear

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another post but I was asked to give my opinion on the Gen1 VS Gen2 . John ( Michmax10 ) offered up a bike swap on our return trip from the Traverse city ride a few weeks ago, I accepted the offer with a huge smile on my face and butterflies in my stomach. Although I have sat on a Gen2 a few times, my first thought when I threw my leg over it was, damn this thing is wide! As I took off I couldn't help but notice how crisp the throttle response was, absolutely no hesitation what so ever and the shifting was vary smooth with instant power at just a slight twist of the throttle. Although I didn't ride it for a long time and being vary respectful to John I did get an opportunity to pass a car and the acceleration was amazing to say the least, it felt vary solid and smooth with no vibration or wobble. As far as comparing the two they are night and day, the only thing they have in common is their name. If you think you can get on a Gen2 and ride it like you do your Gen1 I don't think you will last long, Wildman98 might be able to pull it off but I know I couldn't:rofl_200: Thanks again John for sharing the joy of your 2010 Vmax with me, it was greatly appreciated.

Your very brave Chuck,and must have more control than I... I have bought two brand new snowmobiles doing the very same thing..."Yea,go ahead,take er for a spin." Only to get back on mine and not be happy with it anymore. :damn angry: Twice! :bang head: My rule now is, dont ride anything else till im ready to get one. Its cool you took a ride on one and reading your review makes me want one more. The trouble is parting with coin they are asking for em. Im sure if they were ten grand though,we'd all have one and nobody would talk here about the gen1's:confused2:. Since you got me dreamin, the first thing I would mod is the big pipes out the back.:biglaugh:

John certainly does have a sweet looking candy red Gen2 ... Chuck, glad you got the opportunity to take it for a ride and provide us Gen1 riders how it compares ! :surprise:

I only hope 2Fear doesn't start acting up on ya ... jealous of you riding another bike ..... and a Gen2 nevertheless !!!

I'd agree with the assessment of the Gen 2. Only thing I'm not real happy with is the front end. Just doesn't feel real stable around corners. Or at least not to the level of the rest of the bike.

I remember seeing a youtube video that said the same thing about cornering on it. I have to say that your view of the instant acceleration is most likely do to the fuel injection. I have to say for bike with a carburetor, the Gen 1 is very responsive. Only thing that could make it better a fuel injection conversion in my opinion. My first car was a '73 Plymouth Barracuda with a 4 barrel holley and 340 borded 20 over. When I pressed the pedal to the floor, there was a delay. It was brief but you knew it was there. A moment later, all hell would break loose. It is that experience that make me feel you can have that response on your Gen 1 for the cost of fuel injection. This won't help with the rest of it though, lol.

I have not heard many good things about fuel injected gen-1's. Unreliable, extremely difficult to tune correctly, and no real power gains over a good carb setup. I think there's a lot more effective ways to spend mod money.

People don't realize how much effort, time, and testing goes into the "stock setup" of the bike by the OEMs to give it that flawlessly running motor, with the perfect balance of "tune" and engine reliability and life.

I'm kind of shocked people get 100k+ miles on Vmax motors. I figured a motor like this wouldn't be a high-miler...too much of a monster to keep it up for the real long haul. But I guess they do....good engineering on Yamaha's part.

While my next bike will be a Kawasaki, I still stand by that Yamaha has/does/will make the best engines on the market. Best built, longest lasting, across the board be it a 50cc scooter or a 1700 v-max.

"John ( Michmax10 ) offered up a bike swap on our return trip from the Traverse city ride a few weeks ago, I accepted the offer with a huge smile on my face and butterflies in my stomach."

Man are you lucky,I can't wait for my Gen.2 ride!
Awesome:clapping:

I mentioned this in another post but I was asked to give my opinion on the Gen1 VS Gen2 . John ( Michmax10 ) offered up a bike swap on our return trip from the Traverse city ride a few weeks ago, I accepted the offer with a huge smile on my face and butterflies in my stomach. Although I have sat on a Gen2 a few times, my first thought when I threw my leg over it was, damn this thing is wide! As I took off I couldn't help but notice how crisp the throttle response was, absolutely no hesitation what so ever and the shifting was vary smooth with instant power at just a slight twist of the throttle. Although I didn't ride it for a long time and being vary respectful to John I did get an opportunity to pass a car and the acceleration was amazing to say the least, it felt vary solid and smooth with no vibration or wobble. As far as comparing the two they are night and day, the only thing they have in common is their name. If you think you can get on a Gen2 and ride it like you do your Gen1 I don't think you will last long, Wildman98 might be able to pull it off but I know I couldn't:rofl_200: Thanks again John for sharing the joy of your 2010 Vmax with me, it was greatly appreciated.
might be able to pull it off :rofl_200:

I've only sat on one in a dealership and it seemed to fit my 6'2" frame a little better than my lowered Gen I. With all the good things I'm hearing about them I'm almost afraid to ride one.:biglaugh:
Mike

the big thing he didnt mention was the comfort of the gen 2. it makes the gen 1 feel like youre riding on TOP of it rather than in it

also, the throttle response isnt just fuel injection.

when you open full throttle at low rpm, the air box doesnt have enough pressure and will cause slow acceleration, however the gen 2 only opens up as much as it can take. full throttle isnt actually full throttle.

ycci, genich, etc

So john when are me and you going riding. LoL. 2fear you have done your time on a gen1 and im happy for you.

Well, since there's already a thread here, I finally took a test ride on a Gen II without getting pulled over by the cops while doing 15 mph.:rofl_200:

Yamaha has their test ride bikes at Barney's in St. Petersburg. Yesterday and today. I timed my ride perfectly. Only the ride master and I went out.
He told me no wheelies or burn outs. He did set me up to get a good feel for the bike and it's capabilities. Allowing for some hard acceleration,
even made it to 90 one time. We went on a 9 mile course that was fairly clear of any traffic...

My impression: It'd eat either of my Gen I's in a heartbeat. The riding position is a little troublesome for me. With the hugely wide scoops, it
was like riding a Clydesdale Horse... I see my legs getting pinned between the scoops and a car bumper as I would be unable to move fast
enough from that spread position to get them out of the way. It handles like a much lighter bike, the brakes are fantastic... I could only talk
Yamaha into an additional $200.00 off. So, I'm still waiting on a $10,000 deal on an 09...

I may go back today for a free Hot Dog and a Ride on the inline 800. :clapping:

The FZ8 is a pretty fun bike. I'd put it about on-par speed-wise with a Vmax. I'd also rate the "seat comfort" on part with one as well, as in brick-like firm.

The MC world needs more bikes like it....bikes that haul ass, handle well, are easy to "live with" and ride every day, and priced reasonably.

So john when are me and you going riding. LoL. 2fear you have done your time on a gen1 and im happy for you.
Yeah Mike, I have 21 years of a Gen1 under my ass at this point between my 1985 and my current 2005 and I have no intentions of giving it up anytime soon. Although the Gen2 is an awesome machine it would for sure bring me trouble, avoiding trouble was one of the main reasons I got rid of my 04 Ninja ZX10R. When I have that much power at my finger tips I'm riding on borrowed time for trouble, so for now I will keep riding my loud and slow Gen1. Everyone looks to see what's coming when they hear it and I look good when I roll up, oh and it's paid for :biglaugh: Some day I would love to have one in the stable but I doubt it will be anytime soon.

Yeah Mike, I have 21 years of a Gen1 under my ass at this point between my 1985 and my current 2005 and I have no intentions of giving it up anytime soon.

Substitute the 21 yrs for my having 26 yrs on my gen1, and I feel exactly the same way.

I've got both a Gen1 and a GenII sitting in my garage, and I'll be the one riding the 85 next spring in Eureka Springs, while my wife rides the 09. The GenII is super fun to ride, but not worth giving up my one true love - the Gen1.

Latest posts

Back