I snapped of trip meter knob on speedo!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Dang it!

In a moment of idiocy, I accidentally snapped off the knob on the left side of my speedometer, which I always use to adjust to "0" when I gas up.

Any of you folks know a good way to re-attach it? (The darn thing snapped way down into the speedo, so it doesn't look like an easy glue fix.)

I'd rather not buy a new speedometer, if at all possible.

Thanks!

Elimax

You might be able to disassemble the speedo, then drill a small pilot hole in the end of the broken piece. Then take the knob portion and drill all the way through it for a clearance hole. Then get a screw of the correct length and put it together. Need to be careful not to go too big on the screw or it will weaken the plastic.

Had the same thing happen to me and yes its a right pain in the arse not having a tripmeter , however i had a local guy i know make up a new end for it with the screw thread on it and problem was solved .
Also i think there was an older bike with same speedo setup and same sized tripmeter knob .

I just happened to remove an otherwise dead speedo from my project bike last night (spring rusted out and snapped). If you PM me your address, you're more than welcome to have my trip meter knob. I'll be replacing mine with something digital anyway.

Hi folks:

Thanks for the info.

I wish the drilling then screwing mod would work...it's easy to do to the knob, but the the part still in the speedo actually is plastic with a metal core in the center. I tried to drill that as well, but no go.

So, I'm gonna have to glue them together, but I need to find the right adhesive.

Any of you know of a "balls-to-the wall" adhesive that can handle this job? It will save me the price of a new speedometer!

Thanks again.

Elimax

I just happened to remove an otherwise dead speedo from my project bike last night (spring rusted out and snapped). If you PM me your address, you're more than welcome to have my trip meter knob. I'll be replacing mine with something digital anyway.

You go for a Koso speedo/tacho ?

Back