I tried to fix $15 taillight... I can!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
It would probably take me 3 hours to fix $15 taillight, burnt resistors, I have them!!! I gave up and bought new one... Shame on me... Quitter! :( ;)
I know, Fire medic would fix it... Maybe I will!!!
this is new one from ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/35359642383720210918_182757.jpg
20210918_183924_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
The diagram you have drawn must be wrong.
It looks like the 4 leds arranged in a triangle to represent arrows pointing left and right at each side are the turn signals. They have to have separate feeds so cannot connect together to the 58 ohm resistor.

Cost of components about $5, time to remove and solder about 1 hour.

Do you have a desoldering pump tool, it'll make the job much easier and quicker.

Screenshot_20210919-083511.jpg

I see there are heated desoldering pumps (never new they existed) for about 2x price of the above so the task requires one hand instead of two. I may actually buy one.Screenshot_20210919-083531.jpg

This is a "cat eyes" tail light and has 2 separate lights (see Ebay link)

There are 4 circuits and 3 types of components (LED, resistor, diode):

1.Yellow wire (turn signal, 8 LEDs)
2.Red wire (brake, 6 LEDs)
3.White wire (tag, 3 LEDs)
4.white wire (run, brake LEDs, half bright)

Circuits work as follow:

1. and 2. Yellow and red are identical: one resistor and 2 chains of LEDs
White "tag" circuit has resistor, 3 LEDs and a diode, which has no purpose(?) and can be removed (Chinese electronic guy was probably drunk, engineering the tail light)
White "run" circuit uses same 6 "brake LEDs" half power because it has 2 resistors (why 2?), it also has a diode, which is not needed (?) and can be removed.
Diagnosing and repairing of $15 tail light is more like entertainment.
So far I found 2 bad resistors and 2 bad LEDs. A few resistors work but look burnt.
After my "high level" diagnosing 3 more LEDs stopped working.
Improved diagram:
turn diagr tail.jpg

Last edited:
No.
If you want the indicators to flash separately, I cannot see how that can be done without a separate wire to each circuit, else they act as hazard lights.

An example below showing the minimum wires required.
Screenshot_20210919-141720.jpg

No.
If you want the indicators to flash separately, I cannot see how that can be done without a separate wire to each circuit, else they act as hazard lights.

An example below showing the minimum wires required.
View attachment 79800
My old taillight has separate harness for each "eye". Check link to new identical taillight from ebay (post 1)
BTW, I used tallight on your picture for another bike, brake light broke after 5 min. or so. I posted testing video, seller refunded money. I still used the tail light but bought and installed additional light just for brake.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back