I wasnt aware of this until now.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
On Labor Day 2013, Welfare Pays More Than Minimum-Wage Work In 35 States

Since 2009, the Fair Labor Standards Act has dictated that the federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Some people think that’s too low; others think it’s too high. But it turns out that, in 35 states, it’s a better deal not to work—and instead, to take advantage of federal welfare programs—than to take a minimum-wage job. That’s the takeaway from a new study published by Michael Tanner and Charles Hughes of the Cato Institute.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...ays-more-than-minimum-wage-work-in-35-states/

Attachments

• Welfare-v-work-2.jpg
    Welfare-v-work-2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 22
I thought welfare can only be used a short time like a year or something like that. Am I wrong?

This is what I found from E-how..

There are 32 states that have 60-month lifetime limits on transitional assistance benefits. Once the 60-month limit is reached, the state either closes the assistance case or removes the adult from the assistance program. Those states are: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina and South Dakota. The District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico also follow the 60-month limit.

The states of Florida and Georgia have 48-month lifetime limits for welfare assistance. As in most states, if an individual becomes noncompliant, their welfare assistance case is automatically closed. When that happens, the case has to be totally reopened and reviewed by the state welfare board.

The state of Arkansas has the most aggressive welfare reform program in the United States. Arkansas is the only state with a 24-month lifetime limit. After the 24-month limit expires, the individual has to reapply for benefits through the state welfare commission and start a new case file, a process that can range from one to three months.

Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska and Oregon have no lifetime limits for individuals receiving welfare assistance. In the state of Oregon, a time limit can be imposed on noncompliant cases. However, these four states have developed flexible programs concerning workforce development and they use a portion of welfare funding and benefits for business and economic development.

I thought welfare can only be used a short time like a year or something like that. Am I wrong?

The issue is enforcement.
Sure there are limits, but in many states, and more correctly in many larger cities, there is no enforcement. This is how you end up with lifetime welfare recipients.

2 things should happen.

1) Welfare and minimum wage should be switched around. There should be no condition where it is financially beneficial to stay on welfare as opposed to work.

2) Limits should be strictly enforced. Once you go past your time, thats it, cut off...

Until those who have made it a career to game the system and stay on welfare have motivation to get a job then the process will continue as it has been.

The issue is enforcement.
Sure there are limits, but in many states, and more correctly in many larger cities, there is no enforcement. This is how you end up with lifetime welfare recipients.

2 things should happen.

1) Welfare and minimum wage should be switched around. There should be no condition where it is financially beneficial to stay on welfare as opposed to work.

2) Limits should be strictly enforced. Once you go past your time, thats it, cut off...

Until those who have made it a career to game the system and stay on welfare have motivation to get a job then the process will continue as it has been.

That's only the tip of the iceberg there's alot I mean ALOT of freeloaders that work in the gov't that receive a healthy salary .:bang head::bang head:

It also depends a lot on if you are a man or woman. I was collection Manger at a collection agency for many years. we had tens of thousands of "ADC" families. Many of them 3rd or 4th gen. It works like this: Girl gets knocked up, gets housing, food stamps, monthly check, free phone, and medicaid (basically free health care). Often the father of the children will move in with her and get free room and board. She finds out that she needs more money and food stamps to help support the dad, so they pop out another baby and get a raise. and then another and so on. now the oldest girl gets saddled with taking care of the younger kids and she decides to move out. So at 14 she get PG, pops out a kid and soon has q place of her own. Down the line her kid will do the same thing and so on.

And the only thing they ever have to do is vote dem in november so they can keep their benefits.

once in the system, they almost never get out. when their last kid reaches 18, they go on public assistance and have to take a small pay cut. Thats how we get stupid people like Obama and Dingle elected. I hope you remember that come November and vote out ANY dem. so we can slow down this out of control president

I was a Paramedic on an ambulance for about 12 years before it was time for a change. At the time I was working 2 jobs. Full time 24/48 on the ambulance and 33 hrs a week at the local ER.
I saw SO many people abuse the system.

One time I took a girl that was 15 to Oklahoma City Baptist hosp. It was her 2nd child.

Back