I would like suggestions on Tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metzeler or Shinko 170-80-15

• Metzeler

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Shinko

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looks like I will be putting new rubber on my VAMX in the near future. I always like to change both tires so that the same brand is on both front and back. I'm looking at either the

Shinko 170-80-15
or
Metzeler ME880 170/80-15

I like the wider tire in the back, I will be putting the stock size on the front in the same brand I chose for the rear.

Can you please tell me your opinions on which brand tires you think are the best tires.

I would appreciate when you say which one you would chose you also tell me why so I can take all the opinions and see which one comes out to be the best suggested and why.

Thanks

Ron

Metzler vs. Shinko

Hey guys, hopefully this question hasn't been brought up recently..I've read all the posts I could find regarding the tire of choice for the max. I need to replace both the front and rear tire. I'm going to stick with stock front size of 110/90/18 and bump up to 170/80/15 for the rear. Based on all the post I've read regarding tires, seems like the two favorite tires amongst the group are both the Metzler 880's and the Shinko 230's. From what I'm seeing on this forum, seems like its a split decision...

Just priced out both brands and the Metzlers front and back will run $249 vs. the Shinkos @ $128 thats a difference of $121 bucks.

Question, based on what tires you guys are running does going with the Metzlers justify paying almost twice as much as what I would pay if I went with the Shinkos..

Thanks in advance for your help....

Re: I wouild like suggestions on Tires

If you want a long lasting tire go with the Metz, stickey tire go with the Shinko

No opinion on handling?

Looks like we posted the same questions just minutes apart...Are you my long lost twin :) :)

Hopefully between the both questions we will find out which is best, I didn't see yours.........lol I tend to post in the v-boost forum because more people view it. I did a search about 10-15 minutes before posting and didn't see anything so I think we are both innocent in this case and neither should look dumb..........lol

eagle i really think you're going to find a difference in opinions b/c i don't think many guys have run both.

i stick with shinko b/c the rears have lasted me about 5-7k miles and the fronts almost 10k. and they're cheap. i run oversized front and rear.

Mmm, unsuccessful at the delete so I'll add the part about pricing here as well..The Metzlers are 2x the cost of the Shinko's which is a big difference.

i merged them!

Hopefully between the both questions we will find out which is best, I didn't see yours.........lol I tend to post in the v-boost forum because more people view it. I did a search about 10-15 minutes before posting and didn't see anything so I think we are both innocent in this case and neither should look dumb..........lol
I think most people use the option under "MENU" and click on "Todays Posts" as that brings up all the new posts since the last time you were here or refreshed. Keeping the the questions in the correct category makes no difference when you choose "New Posts" but what it does is makes it hard to find info when looking for info in a particular category. There may be info posted that could be useful to others but gets lost in a general category.
Besides, you'll make Buster and the Mods happier that way too.:clapping:

Mmm, unsuccessful at the delete so I'll add the part about pricing here as well..The Metzlers are 2x the cost of the Shinko's which is a big difference.

Yes I realize that the Metzeler's are double the cost but the only reason that would affect my decision would be if the 2 tires were even in the quality tire for a VAMX. That was my intent in posting was to find out if paying double is worth it. I'm getting that the Metzeler's are a harder tire and the Shinko's are a softer or stickier tire. I'm leaning toward the Shinko's.

gamorg02 is there a advantgae to going with a oversized front, I like a big fat tire on back for looks and also more tire on the ground. Can you share your thinking on a bigger front and what size do you go with?

Thanks
Ron

Yeap that was my intent as well..Lets see what resonses we get..I know my stock tires spin when I'm gettting on it through the gears..From reading about the Shinkos and how sticky they are I assume this is not an issue with them. How about you guys with the Metzlers, any spinning when your getting on it?

I think the Shinko would handle better than the Metz because it is softer. Just my opinion - I've run Shinko (and love them) but not the Metz.

Also, the Shinko speed rating is V (149mph) which is correct for the Max. The Metz 880 is only H rated (130mph) as it is basically a cruiser tire.

I know most people won't spend that much time above 130mph, but I prefer having the correct speed rating, even if only for insurance purposes.

And then the Shinkos are SO much cheaper too!

I think you really need to ask yourself what type of riding you do first before you make a decision. If you like to "carve" and want grip, go with the Shinkos. If you just cruise and want the most mileage, go with the Metz. I put a set of metzlers on at the beginning of last year and have about 3,000 miles on them with absolutely no wear. I do find that if I am coming out of a corner and get frisky with the throttle, it breaks the rear tire loose a little. The only advise I would give is not to buy the OEM Dunlops, they only lasted me 4,500 miles before they were bald.

IMO I like the metz. Personally haven't used the shinko. The metz will definately last a long time. I think looks better and is a little wider. And I don't like the name shinko, just sounds like a cheap crap tire to me. Kinda reminds me of the cheng shins. Just my opinion.

eagle i really think you're going to find a difference in opinions b/c i don't think many guys have run both.

i stick with shinko b/c the rears have lasted me about 5-7k miles and the fronts almost 10k. and they're cheap. i run oversized front and rear.

I've run both on both bikes and developed severe front end wobbles on the '06 with Shinko's....it didn't like them at all! I now have a Metz Lasertech ME33 on the front with a Shinko Tour Master on the rear and no more wobble! When I wear the rear down I will go back to an ME880.

The '99 had ME880's and I switched to Shinko's and she loves them. No wobbles anywhere....rock solid to 120 or so but I will go back to Metz with this bike also when it's time for new tires...overall, I like them better.

For me both bikes will be switched and will stay with ME33 Lasertec front 110's and ME880 Marathon rear 170's.

Plus I agree with rob.....Shinko is just too close to Chinko IMO!!

I have Shinko on the front (110) and rear (170) right now but I didn't like the way the front tire is wearing. I have a new ME880 front tire I will install next week as I liked the look of the tire better that the lasertec. I like the Shinko and I got over 5k out of each of the 2 previous to the one that I'm running now. I will put on close to 3k of highway miles at the end of the month on my trip to the Brownie Run in New York and then back to the U.P..

I have Shinko on the front (110) and rear (170) right now but I didn't like the way the front tire is wearing. I have a new ME880 front tire I will install next week as I liked the look of the tire better that the lasertec. I like the Shinko and I got over 5k out of each of the 2 previous to the one that I'm running now. I will put on close to 3k of highway miles at the end of the month on my trip to the Brownie Run in New York and then back to the U.P..

Couldn't agree with you more on this, I don't like the Lasertec tread pattern at all, but it almost completely eliminated that nasty wobble so.....that sells it for me!

Couldn't agree with you more on this, I don't like the Lasertec tread pattern at all, but it almost completely eliminated that nasty wobble so.....that sells it for me!
I'll probably try the lasertec at some point and will be convinced of it's merits as well. I'm just don't have as many tire testing mules as you do...hopefully someday I will!:punk:

Back