Icon Accelerant Jacket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shicks16

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has this jacket and what the think of it, i have been eyeing it up for some time and wanted some opinions, thanks

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=3428&id=11936

it comes with either a regular leather or a perforated leather, i have been thinking about getting the regular as i have a joe rocket textile jacket that can be converted to a mesh jacket for the warm days but if anyone has the perf version let me know what you think for breathability and warmth on those cooler days.

I don't know about that particular jacket, but in my experience Icon has always been good stuff. Quality made, good materials. I'd recommend them to anyone.

I've never noticed much of a difference between perforated and regular leather. Both are hot and stuffy when it's warm and when uninsulated, serve only as a windbreaker when it's cold. So it takes you slightly longer to get cold when riding.

IMO the mesh jackets are the way to go. Mine has a water/windproof liner that can zip in, and then it works just the same an an uninsulated leather. Blocks the wind but nothing else.

I have been using an Icon Ti-max II leather but I don't see it on their website anymore.
It's really quality stuff.
But I will agree on the fact it's like a rice cooker when the weather is getting hot.
Next one will be a mesh type waterproof :p

I have an oversize shell I got from a bicycle shop which I sometimes use over the mesh jacket. It's some type of synthetic, I don't have it in front of me now to check, but what it does is function as a windbreaker. I have two mesh jackets. One has a zip in windbreaker liner, a Fieldsheer, I just bought it this riding season, hey, wait a minute, here in FL we ride year-round, so, is there ever an 'end' to a riding season? Sorry, those of you waiting for spring, like Ontario where it's still snowing at the end of April. The other is an older mesh jacket, a Joe Rocket, w/o the zip in liner. That's the one I use w/the oversize shell. another factor for the o.s. shell is that it is loaded w/those microprisms which reflect light, at night the design, which covers the entire jacket, lights up like a Christmas tree when a light source hits it. V. visible! Not just some reflective piping or a few sq. in. of reflective material, it does the job. Layering is the thing to do, so buy your mesh jacket a bit loose, & get another layer underneath it if things turn colder. Or look for one w/the zip-in windbreaker liner. If it isn't waterproof, consider an oversize shell which is Gore-Tex or similar & use that over the mesh jacket. If you don't have too far to go hopefully the combo will get you home w/o hypothermia.

I have a nylon jacket made by Columbia that fit's over my leather jacket which I first used it as a rain jacket until I picked up a real rain suit. I still use it on some cool days as it is a windproof layer that adds a few degrees of warmth. It has a hood that helps keep the wind off the back of my neck but without a decent set of warm pants you are limited to how long you can ride.

I have the Accelerant jacket and I like it. It has a mesh nylon half that is plenty cool when the liner is out and plenty warm with the liner in. Still its black leather and standing still in 100 degree weather will be hot and make you sweat. I have ridden in 30 degree weather with it and it kept me warm enough. The only thing is fit. I have a gut and the one that would fit me around the shoulders and mid section made it really long in the sleeves and overall length. Its cut for a skinny person. The long sleaves are nice in cold weather as they fully cover my wrists (I wear shorty gloves), but the length makes it 'bunch up' when riding. If I had to do it again I would pick a jacket that fits me better, but I have since purchased a mesh jacket that fits me better for hot summer riding.

Latest posts

Back