ICU ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayle.ding

Reaction score
After sitting for some time, I replaced my battery and plugs. The bike, 85', started instantly and ran smooth as silk until hot. After turning it off, I tried to restart. No dice. The starter turns strongly, all the switches work properly, but I have a weak spark at all four plugs. I've studied the schematic and am now suspecting the ICU. What do you think?

OMG, call fire-rescue! You need the ICU? No-time to-waste!

I suppose it's the ECU you want to replace. You have an '85, multiple pickups, and an analog Electronic Control Unit. I suggest contacting Sean Morley for info on the aftermarket system for replacement of the stock box. The Ignitech has more capabilities than the stock unit, which was used from 1985-1989 model years. The 1990-2007 were a digital ECU and are generally considered to be more-reliable.

The pickup coils could be bad, one of more of them, yours has > 1 coil, that's inside your left crankcase cover, and inside where the rotor is. The rotor is a pain in the butt to remove, but Sean Morley has a kit you can get which will give you common electrical parts which fail, you only need to buy that one which fixes your problem. You can also rent the use of a puller from him.

A common symptom of the pickup coil(s) going-bad was the inability to hot start due-to an open circuit in the pickup coil(s). The bike starts OK, but after it warms-up, it shuts-off, and until it cools-down, it won't re-start. Replace the pickup coil assembly. They are available aftermarket, and when you see the OEM price, you'll be begging to buy one of the aftermarket replacements.
[email protected]

Last edited:
Back