idea of value of my max,please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imfixinmopars

Reaction score
i have a clean 98,all stock,new tires,runs good,4900 miles,adult owned,exhaust tip has rash,but everything else is very nice.good year for color,all black inc wheels,any good ideas on what i should ask? selling for health reasons,and i will miss the bike,im sure,,,thanks,mike

after looking at some here for sale,i kinda think 4500 is kinda low,and i was hoping for a little more,but maybe thats being too hopefull,lol...any more ideas?.......mike

Actually, I thought 4500 was giving credit for the low mileage... Good Luck asking more...

I think 4500 is probably about a good starting point. I just sold a nice 98 model with Hindle exaust,all braided lines,progressive suspension,corbin seat with backrest & throttle meister for $3500 it had more miles than yours. It took me about 2 weeks to sell it.

well,thats why im asking for ideas. i guess i got a little time to decide,but sure appricate the help,thanks guys......maybe everyone else is really to high,lol....mike

Check your local craigslist and just search for vmax. See what (if any listings) are returned and their condition/prices. This is the perfect time to sell, weather is getting nice and people are looking to buy, so you can get 10-20% more now than you could in the off season. Just keep in mind that's what people are asking, not necessairly getting.

The book value for your bike in "average" condition is only $3200. Even in good shape, I think $4k would be a best case scenario. It is a 13 year old bike, and as they say in the used business, sentimental value often exceeds dollar value.

I personally would start higher on the asking price if you put it up for sale early, like now. This is the ideal time to sell here in MI and it seems like Vmaxes are rare for some reason. I would post on Craigslist with a starting price of at least $5500 OBO. You have nothing to loose but a little time and you can always start lowering the price if you don't get any replies, what price are you hoping to get? What part of MI are you in?

Hate to lose a Mi V-Maxer, I hope your health problems are temporary.......Good luck mike............

I personally would start higher on the asking price if you put it up for sale early, like now. This is the ideal time to sell here in MI and it seems like Vmaxes are rare for some reason. I would post on Craigslist with a starting price of at least $5500 OBO. You have nothing to loose but a little time and you can always start lowering the price if you don't get any replies, what price are you hoping to get? What part of MI are you in?
49036 is in Coldwater, MI.

tumblr_lj5r63QTyx1qbo4dlo1_500.jpg

ID BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR

only 4500? That sounds low to me imho. I posted mine up on craigslist for poops and grins when I found out the starter clutch gear thing was stripped out. I posted it for 2500 and I got a couple trade offers, one for a CBX and the other for a 98 concord, and 4 people wanting to come look at it this weekend. Hell, I'm getting too tempted to sell it now since I only paid a grand for it and got it running for less than 300 bucks. Even the trade for the CBx is mouth watering

only 4500? That sounds low to me imho. I posted mine up on craigslist for poops and grins when I found out the starter clutch gear thing was stripped out. I posted it for 2500 and I got a couple trade offers, one for a CBX and the other for a 98 concord, and 4 people wanting to come look at it this weekend. Hell, I'm getting too tempted to sell it now since I only paid a grand for it and got it running for less than 300 bucks. Even the trade for the CBx is mouth watering
What year CBX are they wanting to trade ?

Every area is going to be a little different for sure.

I live in Houston.

I paid $5200 for my 99 back in '04 and it was pristinely perfect, stock and had 9800 miles.

Selling one like you describe around here for $4500 would be a miracle....Any '98 no matter what condition or mods/add ons would be lucky to go for that.

I've been in the Vmax cult since 85.. To say I have an interest in them would be a gross understatement. I follow Craigslist and eBay throughout the USA on a regular basis. Your great low mileage definitely helps you out but in the big picture, $4,500 is high. I'm not saying it can't be sold for that because I have seen lesser bikes than yours go for more. I am currently seeing 2005, 2006 with double the mileage up for sale for that price. I know I would rather have a bike eight years newer with fresh carb diaphragms, soft pliable intake boots, shift flame paint scheme etc.
Anybody doing their research will soon see what $4,500 can buy in these economic times. I personally am attracted to Maxes that have all the "right" mods done and paid for. For example, you often see a bike with a Kerker or other high end full exhaust system already on there and the asking price is no different than a stocker.
Obviously there is no harm in asking $4,500 other than you might scare away a buyer or two but as many of you know, bikes are often an emotional thing and we all know the mystical lure of the Max!
In the end, you have to decide how low you are willing to go based on your situation. If you get no offers that are reasonable to you, keep it on the battery tender, run it dry of gas, pour a tablespoon of oil in the cylinders and throw a cover over it. Your situation may change or perhaps someone that looked at it earlier will contact you and ask if you still got her! Good luck with your sale and hope you resolve the health issues.

If you only have $1500 tops into the bike there isn't much to lose, shouldn't have any issue at all doubling your money, and getting a 200% (at least) return on resale is nothing to sneeze at.

if you get 4 out of it i'd be surprised, 4500 seems high but the mileage is low. 06s and 07s have popped up around here for 5500-6k, and an occasional one for 10k lol

I come on down to north carolina ill pay for the trip and your lodgeing and we can have a private auction here in my yard of which ill be the only one attending.

as to the op i just paid 3000 for a 95 that is in great shape other than a carb rebuild that is starting round 2 attempt 2 in about an hour

Yes, you can always lower the price, but if you want to sell it, lower will attract more $ offers than someone who is high. $5500 is high. Coldwater market prices are likely not that high. If you lived in Chicago, maybe. Not in SW MI I think. Priced right it will sell w/only 5K mi.

Back