identifing chrome vs high polished aluminum

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
Exactly what title says.. i've been polishing my aluminum kosmans and the front hub is like being compared to rest and zero imperfections im scared it is chrome.... does anyone know how I can tell???

Try a magnet.
If its polished AL it should easily scratch with fine sandpaper. Chrome would be much more reistant. I would doubt the hub is chromed if the rest of the whel was not.

That's what I was thinking. But im telling ya I've been polishing stuff since last Saturday... Saturday 10hrs, Monday 9 hrs, and today 10hrs. Im getting everything anodized so it can not ne chrome but I can see a big difference unless I just did a perfect job on that one lol...

Would a magnet stick even if it is aluminum chromed? I really don't want to try sand paper lol

Well, couldn't you look inside the rim next time it's getting a tire? You could sand there w/abandon! I think the chrome vs. Al would be very noticeable.

That's what I was thinking. But im telling ya I've been polishing stuff since last Saturday... Saturday 10hrs, Monday 9 hrs, and today 10hrs.

:rofl_200::rofl_200: Not laughing at you..just glad someone else gets crazy with it as I do:rofl_200: if you cant tell if its chrome you might try some good aluminum Polish and rub a spot good cause it will turn real black on aluminum vs chrome as you work with it but you should be able to look close at it and be able to tell:confused2:

Well, couldn't you look inside the rim next time it's getting a tire? You could sand there w/abandon! I think the chrome vs. Al would be very noticeable.

The rims are aluminum the kosman and there in pieces I know there aluminum. But can't you still chrome aluminum?? Its only the the hub.. the spokes and outter rim is deffinetly polished

That's what I was thinking. But im telling ya I've been polishing stuff since last Saturday... Saturday 10hrs, Monday 9 hrs, and today 10hrs.

:rofl_200::rofl_200: Not laughing at you..just glad someone else gets crazy with it as I do:rofl_200: if you cant tell if its chrome you might try some good aluminum Polish and rub a spot good cause it will turn real black on aluminum vs chrome as you work with it but you should be able to look close at it and be able to tell:confused2:

Last year I did all this minus rims because I just got them.. im redoing it because I was talking to the anodizing place they said the skinnier the better they will look.. like colored chrome!!!! So I've been going balls to the wall lol.. its very teatious but you really gotta love your bike to dedicate this much time to it

:rofl_200::rofl_200: Love:rofl_200::rofl_200:Its more like a Crazy Drug.:bang head: I have walked away from love before and never looked back..:rofl_200: I walk away from the Vmax and im thinking what I can do next to it..:bang head: I removed my valve covers just so I could polish the clear coated parts between the black:bang head:

Attachments

• 2013-03-13_20-31-17_832.jpg
    2013-03-13_20-31-17_832.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 2013-03-13_20-32-01_904.jpg
    2013-03-13_20-32-01_904.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 22
I'd bet its aluminum. Best way to check is to get some Mothers Billit polish and make sure it's the Billit. It's about $15-$16. Then rub it on if its aluminum the paste will as well as the rag, turn black. It's easy to tell. Chrome isn't porous.

Always send out a test part/small part to see if the anodizing/powder coating/chrome comes out the way they describe or the way you expect it to come out or you may spend a ton and be disappointed in the end.

uploadfromtaptalk1363917884413.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363917898252.jpg

This is the part in question. Its just the front hub. When I whipe it with a rag it doesn't really put light scratches in it like the rest of the aluminum

uploadfromtaptalk1363917913917.jpg
This is my rear spokes I did today..

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

That looks like Billit alum to me. Don't be fooled by the shine, they laser cut aluminum discs used as mirrors on the Hubble Telescope.

+1...Rub with a small dab of aluminum polish on a cloth, if it shines better and the cloth is black it's def aluminum. Chrome always looks like highly shined aluminum after a simple wax or detail spray cleaning.

Always send out a test part/small part to see if the anodizing/powder coating/chrome comes out the way they describe or the way you expect it to come out or you may spend a ton and be disappointed in the end.

Yes I thought of that but this place is local and pritty big.. recommended by a couple people.. after talking to owner on phone he says they do a lot of motorcycle and car parts and I will be very happy with the outcome.. he did tell me to sand all scratches and repolishing everything ill be much happier with the outcome.. like colored chrome!

Latest posts

Back