idk wtf is wrong with my bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, i got a set of those cheap guages as pointed out by FM. Cheap but they do the job. There are even cheapar ones with nasty plastic bodies, at least these are metal with a small limiter knob to stop the needles bouncing.

1603921227299.png

Good call on the choke - i had the enrichment mechanism stick i.e. not fully retract - some carb cleanr and moving the choke in/out sorted it. The one on the left is not retracted.

1603921324862.png

Yes the enrichener pistons are a source of 'hang-ups,' and usually a spritz of carb cleaner and some WD-40 does the trick.

You also want to check the alignment of the forks which lift the piston shafts, and the tightness of the set screws aligning the shafts. A bit of fiddling with the screw holding the choke lever will allow the choke to stay-on if it won't stay-open, when you thumb it down.

that look retracted? I worked it in and out for 5 minutes. Sprayed some carb cleaner in there. These pics were taken after the fact.

Attachments

• 2B12A21C-3C46-4249-9702-DD9040795530.jpeg
    2B12A21C-3C46-4249-9702-DD9040795530.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 18EA60CD-290F-46C9-97AC-0D2B8E1F884D.jpeg
    18EA60CD-290F-46C9-97AC-0D2B8E1F884D.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 31
Yep, looks like they're where they should-be, when off.

Thumb it on (the lever) and see if the piston exposed shaft lengths are all the same. They should-be.

I love my vmax to death, I do, but shit just keeps breaking. Recently, cylinder number 4 went dead, so I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and boots. When I fired it up, it sounded really bad, the right pipe sounded like a flip flop being slammed on the ground repeatedly. The left pipe seemed fine. Not only that, but white smoke was pouring out of the right pipe. So I pulled the plugs, did a compression test on all 4 cylinders, got 60 on both right cylinders, 115 on the left two. Then I did a wet compression test by pouring a tiny bit of oil into each cylinder and compression got better. Immediately, I thought it was the piston rings. Now i'm not to sure. I did an oil change, and added in some "engine life extender" I don't exactly remember the brand. Now, the right pipe doesn't smoke anymore, still flaps but not as badly. It also idles way higher, at about 1500 rpm and rev hangs pretty badly. I turned the idle adjuster all the way clockwise and counter-clockwise, nothing. What's odd, is that it still accelerates just as ferociously as it always did. I wanted to get you guy's opinion before I take it to a shop and pay a couple hundred bucks or so to have it diagnosed.

Good call on the choke - i had the enrichment mechanism stick i.e. not fully retract - some carb cleanr and moving the choke in/out sorted it. The one on the left is not retracted.

I am glad it fixed your problem, sorry the post was Carb Syn Before Carb Sync Before sync make sure the choke jets are free as the rubber dries and the jet do not retract because the springs are week. Push with your finger to ensure they are seated, add a little graphite grease to free up. If just one jet is out your mileage will be cut by 25%. The choke lever should only pull the jet out, not push the choke jet in as it will damage the jet. There is a choke jet on each carb, make sure the choke jet nut has not come loose. (95 Max) If a jet is out you have wasted your time trying to sync the carbs. [email protected]

Back