idle mixture screws

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepseamax

Reaction score
Hello,
Does anybody know how to set the idle mixture screws? I did the "shotgun," and synchronized the carbs with the carbtune, but I'm not 100% sure I got the mixture screws back to where they were originally. I'm also, not sure they were set right to begin with. I put in "sea foam," but I'm still gettin "hiccups" at slow speed (first gear speed). Any sage advice would be appreciated.

well i assume the brass plugs have been removed and that you can turn all four screws with ease and they are not stuck.

a good starting point would be turn them all the way in, lightly seated dont force them and then turn them out 2.5 turns, then go from there........ id recheck your sync also just to be safe at around 1000 or 1100 rpm

Hello,
Does anybody know how to set the idle mixture screws? I did the "shotgun," and synchronized the carbs with the carbtune, but I'm not 100% sure I got the mixture screws back to where they were originally. I'm also, not sure they were set right to begin with. I put in "sea foam," but I'm still gettin "hiccups" at slow speed (first gear speed). Any sage advice would be appreciated.
There's a thread on here about adjusting the mixture screws but I couldn't find it. Here's what a couple of guys on the forum recommended to me anjd it really made big improvements.
- Warm the bike up...completely
- Take each screw in until cylinder dies ( of course this is one at a time ), then back out until cylinder sounds it's smoothest, then go another 1/4 to 1/2 turn out. I don't think you need to be concerned that each cylinder ( a/f screw ) is adjusted exactly the same...that's what hung me up.
This along with a treatment of Sea-Foam made the best improvent for off-idle on my Max...for me anyway. Keep us posted. Rick

Hello,

I use very little of it when I cook (I don't like the taste of it myself). :biglaugh: Whhaaaaaatttttttt? He asked......:biglaugh:

Seriously, I've found it easier to focus in on the air/fuel mix by lowering the idle speed as low as it will possibly go without killing the bike before adjusting the mix. To me, it's easier to tell the sweet spot on each cylinders' mix that way. When I have all four zeroed in (I similtaneously set the sync while doing this), I will then put the idle speed back up to 1050rpms.

I used to use my co2 sniffer, one cylinder at a time, but that method can be VERY time consuming and only then IF you have a co2 sniffer.

Does the idle air screw let more fuel through when it comes out or goes in. Im getting fowled plug after fowled plug and its only one one cylinder so I think it might be running to rich at idle because its fine when accelerating and higher rpms.

Does the idle air screw let more fuel through when it comes out or goes in. Im getting fowled plug after fowled plug and its only one one cylinder so I think it might be running to rich at idle because its fine when accelerating and higher rpms.
Out more fuel.

Latest posts

Back