idle stuck high after reinstalling carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aikidoka

Reaction score
obike ran great last year and every time I started it this winter. Maybe a slightly low idle but not the 5k I have now.

One carb started recently spewing gas from the top.vent hose. I removed the carbs but did not fully separate them. I removed enough brackets to rotate the offending carb enough to get to the float bowl. I only replaces the needle valve and the float bowl cover gasket. Good news, that problem seems fixed but now the very high idle

butterfly valves appear in sync and all close. Throttle bottoms out on idle screw. Boots are all seated and clamps tight

what could have gone wrong to change the idle so much?

yes choke seems fine. I'm thinking that with how hard it was to pull the carbs out I may have opened up an air leak somewhere

Just dbl check that all 4 are seated into the boots still. Triple check the choke rods, linkages and operation. Recheck the carb linkages where the little springs are at. Too easy to get those screwed up during reassembly. If all those check out, get the synch gauges hooked up and check that.

I only removed one throttle linkage spring and that's the one by the idle screw. Didn't seem like that could go in any other way but I'll check.

balanced carbs can get unbalanced but by removing and the minor work I did on one?

More than likely you have the throttle cable misrouted and in a bind.
Turn your idle screw all the out and push back on the carb linkage with your finger to try a close it. If it goes back to idle around 900rpm then it is your cables.

I removed my carbs, split them into pairs, and must have been distracted or just not paying attention on reassembly, I also had a high Idle maybe 2500, turned out I had not fully tightened the Plates that hold the carbs together.
Resulted in the linkages pushing and pulling the carbs a little instead of just moving the butterflies.

I removed my carbs, split them into pairs, and must have been distracted or just not paying attention on reassembly, I also had a high Idle maybe 2500, turned out I had not fully tightened the Plates that hold the carbs together.
Resulted in the linkages pushing and pulling the carbs a little instead of just moving the butterflies.

I figured it was the linkage- make sure you put threadlock on those screws.

I think I found the problem and boy do I feel stupid. That one carb's butterfly is actually open when the others are closed. I got the one and only spring I removed in exactly wrong apparently. LOL

I'll fix this week and let you guys know of that fixed it. I need to open my eyes when I look at things haha

I think I found the problem and boy do I feel stupid. That one carb's butterfly is actually open when the others are closed. I got the one and only spring I removed in exactly wrong apparently. LOL

I'll fix this week and let you guys know of that fixed it. I need to open my eyes when I look at things haha
Well glad you found it and i hope that solves your problem-I have seen some with the spring overlapping the tab and trying to sync those were pure hell.

Just dbl check that all 4 are seated into the boots still. Triple check the choke rods, linkages and operation. Recheck the carb linkages where the little springs are at. Too easy to get those screwed up during reassembly. If all those check out, get the synch gauges hooked up and check that.

You're welcome.

Latest posts

Back