Idling problems after some time

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello out there

I have got a problem with My vmax 97.
After some time of riding. (30-60 min) My bike seems to stall when holding still and idling. It also has some sputtering when i just touch the throttle but halfway or at full throttle it seems to go smooth. I have oem airbox and filter, oem exhaust and before this season cleaned All carbs with ultrasonic cleaner and blowen air. Recently checkes My carbs and All looked fine, nothing wrong. I have checked rubberjoints between carb and airbox for leaks.
Checked resistance on spark plug cap All fine. New spark plugs for this season.
Riding in Denmark at about 15 degrees right now.

Any thoughts on this one?
Thansks

Recently checkes My carbs and All looked fine, nothing wrong.

Thansks

I would say pilot jets.
When did you check them and how - did you remove them to see if they were not blocked?
Also have you synchronised the carbs?

I would say pilot jets.
When did you check them and how - did you remove them to see if they were not blocked?
Also have you synchronised the carbs?
Thanks for the Quick answer.
Carbs also synched. Pilot jets and main jets All new. Should not have Any blockage inside.

Could be ignition coils starting to fail when they get hot.
I dunno, I think the break-up would happen across the rev band if the ignition coils were at-fault. Sounds more like pilot jets to me. Open up the gas filter and see what the owl entrails tell you. That is, see what material has been trapped in the gas filter.

It's pretty-easy to check on the ignition coils, to see how-big a gap they can span with a spark, and what color it is. Or, ask your ignorant friend to 'hold this wire,' and see what his reaction is when you hit the start button.

when my bike idled badly after getting hot it turned out to be the original plug caps arcing, new caps and leads sorted it out, might be worth checking yours if they are still original

It's pretty-easy to check on the ignition coils, to see how-big a gap they can span with a spark, and what color it is. Or, ask your ignorant friend to 'hold this wire,' and see what his reaction is when you hit the start button.

Rather than trying to kill a friend perhaps something like this might be more appropriate? :oops:

Carbs also synched. Pilot jets and main jets All new. Should not have Any blockage inside.
one more thing - check the enrichment plungers go all the way in when the choke is off; else it does appear to be ignition related but strange it only occurs when idling.

Rather than trying to kill a friend perhaps something like this might be more appropriate? :oops:
I don't think it needed to be said, but since MM brought it up? "Kids: Don't try this at-home!"

"No juggling running chainsaws, either; don't attempt to catch a falling machete; and don't throw gasoline on a fire. "

when my bike idled badly after getting hot it turned out to be the original plug caps arcing, new caps and leads sorted it out, might be worth checking yours if they are still original
Hi
Im pretty sure they are original. I would say that you should always buy the oem caps. Whats People point on this?

one more thing - check the enrichment plungers go all the way in when the choke is off; else it does appear to be ignition related but strange it only occurs when idling.
As a result of the plungers some times being stucked a little bit out, i always check if they are pushed in before driving, but yes, its certainly seen before that they hang.

I think your running a bit rich, back off all 4 pilot jet screws 1/4 a turn, see what happens, and possibly 1/2 a turn. Sounds like its rich and loading up.

Hi
Im pretty sure they are original. I would say that you should always buy the oem caps. Whats People point on this?
The originals are 4 times the price of ngk alternatives, and no better. You will get little change from £100 on the originals.

The originals are 4 times the price of ngk alternatives, and no better. You will get little change from £100 on the originals.
Okay. The oem caps seem to be 10 k ohm resistance caps. Is that correct? I have searched for NGK 10k ohms caps without Any luck. Do you have a type thats fits the vmax?

Okay. The oem caps seem to be 10 k ohm resistance caps. Is that correct? I have searched for NGK 10k ohms caps without Any luck. Do you have a type thats fits the vmax?
I used these below. There is a thread already about this, but I do not know how to give you the link. The heading of the thread is about running at temp, and I pasted the below photo on 14th April. You can see the code etc.
1621448917964.jpeg

I used these below. There is a thread already about this, but I do not know how to give you the link. The heading of the thread is about running at temp, and I pasted the below photo on 14th April. You can see the code etc.
View attachment 77146
Hi again
I have searched for the thread without luck.
Isnt a problem running with 5kohms caps when oem caps are 10kphms?

Hi again
I have searched for the thread without luck.
Isnt a problem running with 5kohms caps when oem caps are 10kphms?
I would have investigated that at the time of changing them, as It will be in the manual and I ran all the tests on every item. I just cannot remember what my own theory produced that allowed me to move forward with the ngk’s.

I do remember spending about a week on the subject looking into leads, plugs and suppressor resistances, also spoke to ngk and Fowlers (yam experts in the uk) before deciding what to do about it. Sorry about that mate, i’m always fiddling around with different vehicle things and constantly moving to new tasks. All
I can say is i’ve not had a problem with them and the collated advice I had worked out for me. Plus I really do thrash the bike and get no problems in that area.

Hello out there

I have got a problem with My vmax 97.
After some time of riding. (30-60 min) My bike seems to stall when holding still and idling. It also has some sputtering when i just touch the throttle but halfway or at full throttle it seems to go smooth. I have oem airbox and filter, oem exhaust and before this season cleaned All carbs with ultrasonic cleaner and blowen air. Recently checkes My carbs and All looked fine, nothing wrong. I have checked rubberjoints between carb and airbox for leaks.
Checked resistance on spark plug cap All fine. New spark plugs for this season.
Riding in Denmark at about 15 degrees right now.

Thansks
If i was you and if i really understand the nature of your promblem and if you have done all the works that you said...First of all i would start the bike, wait to get hot and start the promblems and then i would pull the spark caps away from spark plugs one by one to locate which cylinder have the promblem. Then i would start to search and find the issue. But i agree with Zeus36 that could be ignition coils starting to fail when they get hot....or something about the ignition componets-parts.

Latest posts

Back