Ign. module transistor 951 ETD41-035 and link to article

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reporting: I feel stupid, but smarter(not much:().
Jag ECM has 3 different transistors of same T220 type (exterior)
Non of 3 fits, according to my multimeter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It took me all day long to figure out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OEM transistor is NPN type (base positive lead to other 2 pins (emitter, collector) has about 0.5 Ohms(???)), multimeter in diode mode.
I have bunch of other ECMs to check transistors w/o removing them.
On Monday I will pay $137 for new igniter from ebay.
Bad news for igniter repair guys:
NPN transistors are not manufactured anymore (?) because they suck 2.5 more energy and get hotter.
I still have 1 more day to outsmart Yamaha20210821_181234.jpg

Last edited:
Reporting: I feel stupid, but smarter(not much:().
Jag ECM has 3 different transistors of same T220 type (exterior)
Non of 3 fits, according to my multimeter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It took me all day long to figure out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OEM transistor is NPN type (base positive lead to other 2 pins (emitter, collector) has about 0.5 Ohms(???)), multimeter in diode mode.
I have bunch of other ECMs to check transistors w/o removing them.
On Monday I will pay $137 for new igniter from ebay.
Bad news for igniter repair guys:
NPN transistors are not manufactured anymore (?) because they suck 2.5 more energy and get hotter.
I still have 1 more day to outsmart YamahaView attachment 79188
Sounds like you've done some homework. Depending on how you va$ue
your time and that $137 you can pick-up an Ignitech here on this forum.
A safe known good cdi replacement/upgrade for your max.

Sounds like you've done some homework. Depending on how you va$ue
your time and that $137 you can pick-up an Ignitech here on this forum.
A safe known good cdi replacement/upgrade for your max.
If I can buy cheaper than $137 shipped, I am definitely interested.

You won't be able to characterize a transistor with a multimeter, you'd need a curve tracer to get close. Are there no markings on the OEM units?

You won't be able to characterize a transistor with a multimeter, you'd need a curve tracer to get close. Are there no markings on the OEM units?
PN in title, not manufactured anymore, but can be bought from China (not going to wait for a month)
Substitutes are MJE5740 and MJE5742.
NPN are tested with red lead to base, black to other pins, showing about 0.5 and 0.6V(?) in diode mode.
PNP are tested with black lead to base, red to other pins, showing about 0.5 and 0.6V(?) in diode mode.

Sean has had few issues with the Ignitech units and they offer versatility in tuning.

Any car 85 -up has lots of transistors NPN. Isn't it a brilliant idea? I'll let you know tomorrow... Junk yard people don't even know what kind of electrical box people pay for. they know PCM, TCM, ABS, Air bag modules. Lots of other electrical small boxes, looking like big relay. I'll go, open cover, check if transistor is NPN and buy the box. I guess $5 for big "relay".
I am sure, every airbag module with blown air bag has good transistors.

What he says. At best a multimeter will give the hfe value, it won't for example give maximum Vce voltage.

Just because a device looks the same, does not mean it equivalent.

It is like saying you can fit a rear tyre from a Dodge Viper to a VMax because it is black and circular.

Like I suggested earlier, don't waste your time trying to repurpose used transistor but crack open the piggy bank and spend 5 dollars on the correct devices.

Any car 85 -up has lots of transistors NPN. Isn't it a brilliant idea? I'll let you know tomorrow... Junk yard people don't even know what kind of electrical box people pay for. they know PCM, TCM, ABS, Air bag modules. Lots of other electrical small boxes, looking like big relay. I'll go, open cover, check if transistor is NPN and buy the box. I guess $5 for big "relay".
I am sure, every airbag module with blown air bag has good transistors.
That is a very bad idea. There are probably more different types of transistor than the number of Big Macs you've eaten, the vast majority being not equivalent else there'd be one device.

Please stop this nonsense and as above, buy the equivalent device.

You need 2, 4 at most.

Ebay item 381438828475
Postage for you would be much cheaper.

BTW I believe this is the device in the article you quoted but I need to find some time on the laptop to compare specs.

Screenshot_20210822-110230.jpg

Note I can get them for about $2 (min quantity is 5) but postage to USA would be pricey.

PN with last digit "2" has better specs, but 5x more expensive. I am going to junk yard to find transistor.

That is a very bad idea.

Please stop this nonsense and as above, buy the equivalent device.
It is a game. If i win, I prove to myself, that I am a smart guy (sometimes) :)
I repaired Toyota BCM and Vulcan1500 module, installing external relays. (Camry door actuator didn't work, it was BCM problem, Vulcan had electronic module with integral dead relay). We'll see...;)

If I can buy cheaper than $137 shipped, I am definitely interested.
My brother, "cheap" and Vmax, these worlds can't collide.
If they do you end up with a Jackalope of a bike made up of
$16 carb kits and other such ebay offerings. That'll alienate your
mod monkey which would cause you permanent starter clutch chatter.

$105 new shipped from ebay

Last edited:
Tell me what I am missing here.
Summary:
The driver device is Fuji ETD41-035 whcih appears to be obsolete.
The artice you quoted mentions that MJE5740 was used but the bottom line seems to be that the ST901T is actually superior in performance than the OEM transistor.

So if people have built and tested the circuit and are saying that the ST90T works better than the MJE5742, why are you posting about buying that device?

Mouser.com has ST901T for $1.54

Incidentally, those NEC device you removed from the Jaguar module, I've found datasheets for 2 of them and they are N channel MOSFET so incompatible.

more useful links
Looking for transistor data: ETD41-035 - Page 1 (eevblog.com)
Yamaha Vision TCI Rebuild (jetav8r.com)

Thanks for the info and links.
1. I didn't read the article completely, I stopped after finding substitute transistor PN MJE.... Mouser probably has $15 shipping(?)
2.Yesterday I spent about 1 hour digging thru jello (see pic) of 96 Mitsu Eclipse ECM. I checked 5 transistors, only one of them could possibly work (???) but it had 5 pins and one of them I broke off.
It was very hot and I didn't want to check other cars.
3.Today I paid $113 shipped for new igniter from Minnesota, ebay.
4.Alibaba.com has Hitachi igniters for $35(?), but you have to buy 15 of them.
103_8517.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back