Ignitech cops/stock coils

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rzwanink

Reaction score
Hi there,

Couple years ago I bought myself an Ignitech unit. Also conversed to COPs.
Got cables with and without resistors.

Now I got the max to an expertised bike shop. Does a lot of tuning here in Holland. He asked me for the stock coils. In his expert opinion the would work a lot better. However I prefer the COPs, I lean towards his opinion...

What are youre preferences

Most people who use 'em like the convenience of being able to quickly replace the COP's 'sticks,' in the event of a failed coil. If you've been running them for 2 years and they have performed well for you, I'd keep 'em, and politely tell the mechanic, "no, thanks."

People more-experienced than I will inform you, "no-difference performance-wise over the OEM coils, just easier to replace when one dies."

I use 'em, I have Gannon's kit, been using 'em for years with an aftermarket ignition box, not an Ignitech, primarily for the rev-limiter function.

If you want a hotter spark, look at the DYNA green coils of the proper resistance.

I agree with Mr Medic, nothing between CoP's and a properly functioning OE set-up.
However as there is more potential for something to go wrong in the OE system my vote, particularly as even the youngest Gen I is a bit aged, I'd stick with the CoP's.

And last but not least, if you have a problem with the front coils they are a beast to get to.
The trades have a phrase: abandon in-place (AIP). That 'heavy' pair of coils helps to keep the front-end down when you power-wheelie! Should you decide to sell the bike, remove the COP's, and plug-in the OEM ones.

I have been running the ignitech with COP and non-resistor harnesses setup since about 2013 or 14. Have not had one fail yet. As long as you do not have any dreams of grandeur about being a performance upgrade then you will not be disappointed. While the ignitech does not require resistors in the COP harnesses, you will want to make sure that the dwell is set according to the resistance of the coils. I just leave mine set to "auto" and it works fine.

I have been running the ignitech with COP and non-resistor harnesses setup since about 2013 or 14. Have not had one fail yet. As long as you do not have any dreams of grandeur about being a performance upgrade then you will not be disappointed. While the ignitech does not require resistors in the COP harnesses, you will want to make sure that the dwell is set according to the resistance of the coils. I just leave mine set to "auto" and it works fine.

Please note that the dwell setting changes the amount of time the coils are 'charged' before ignition. A short dwell results in the VBOOST servo not opening since the controller cannot pick-up on the short dwell time. For this, I now control the servo directly from the Ignitech without the controller.

And yes, It`s not a performance upgrade but the Ignitech unit works just fine!

Same here. I had forgotten about the older units that do not have servo control. I had one and upgraded as soon as the newer version came available. It was well worth it.

Hello,

In my experience it’s a bad idea to run cop in series on a wasted spark setup, each coil only sees 6V resulting in a weaker than stock spark.
When you get a 4 channel ignition module, like the ignitech, you can drive each coil at 12V.
Increasing the dwell time to overcome the 6V issue helps, but you should measure coil saturation time and current with a scope. This current should not exceed the value when driving the stock coils by much, or you will fry the transistors.

I’m running an ignitech 4 channel with cop.

btw, can anyone running an ignitech tell me wich dwell numbers the software shows at idle ?
also cois used and how they are wired ?
It occurs strange to me that the numbers are identical when selecting ‘short dwell’ and ‘auto’
Mine always displays around 3,6 dwell (opt 1,3ms)

Latest posts

Back