Ignitech installed and did Coil On Plug conversion.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonestarmedic

Reaction score
Tore the old Venture completely apart. Install the Ignitech on top of the now empty coil rack. Perfect fit between mounting ears. Made conversion wired for coils. Set the box for short dwell and one revolution before spark. Fired it over and runs pretty nice. Box is set for you Vmax guys. Have to move the curve down a tad. More for the heavier bike that tours. Tied all 4 vacuum ports together as an experiment to smooth out pulses to MAP. Need to adjust the voltage on the MAP a bit yet. Above 3500 rpm it wants to rip out asphalt!! From 2000 to 3500 it is a bit flatter than original. Second gear at 4000rpm is wicked. Ignitech has a strange tach drop at 4000rpm. Will drop to 2000. Just the tach and not all the time. Seems to be just when I punch it then let off a hair. From here it is fine tuning. I still may send carbs to Dannymax for a final workover. Think I still have a slight problem in one carb idle circuit. But maybe I am nitpicking a 30 year old machine.

May do that next programming. Right now just enjoying a strong ignition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Ok new data!!

Set my dwell on short with the new coils and fired over. Tach/RPM dropouts all over from 3500 to 4500 or so. Running like mud in carbs.

Set the dwell on AUTO tonight and the bike and box love it. Steady RPM and I can watch the dwell adjusting. The box is a pretty smart feller.

Working on the advance curve and MAP settings now. And remember this is a VENTURE folks. I dropped top end advance to 47 degrees from 50. Set my rev limiter at 8000 rpm. Then put more advance from 2000-3000 rpm. And a more gradual curve from 4000 on up. Now my 2000-3000 flat spot is gone sitting on the centerstand.

Dropped my base timing to 5 and it felt off a bit. So I have settled on 8 for now.

Using 1 revolution of no spark before ignition.

Have set MAP for 2.3-4.7 volts. Seems to be covering my range.

All 4 vacuums tied into one then to MAP sensor. Experiment for levelling out pulsations. I may even put the stock sensor back in and test it.

The bike ia starting to sound and feel pretty good. Now for a few time trials in various gears and rpms. Then fuel mileage. Maybe I can go a bit leaner at the 3500-4000 spot. That is the usual cruising RPM.

When I am satisfied, of course I will do a write up and supply my data and programming. But not until I make sure the various curves are safe.

Last edited:
Glad that your getting the bugs worked out.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I ve got tach bugs too with the ignitech, i use the tach wire to feed My LM-2 and the RPM drops to 0 each 3 or 4 seconds...

That make weird RPM curves in Logworks.
I tried differents settings, same results.

When i plug the LM-2 to the HyFire VI of my Stang, => no drops in RPM signal, so this is not a LM-2 issue...

Not much experience with the LM-2 air-fuel meter. I can only surmise that the signal from the ignitech has too short of a dwell. That seems the case on my bike tach. The auto setting was my cure.

Ok 250 hard miles after work today. Ignitech is running great. COP conversion great. It was the dwell setting to auto that cleared it up. My advance curve is extremely close. Think I can put a bit more between 3000 and 4000. Then call it quits for a couple weeks. After that on to the MAP and Vacuum sensor. Bike is a monster from 4500 to 7000. I took her to 8000 on one run. Did great. And found the soft rev limiter. I am keeping the limit at 8000. Venture valve springs are not good for much more.

Yes I do. But not on my 80,000 mile motor! I had a brand new set of cams and I sold them. If I go that route I will find a wrecked Vmax and pull everything. And get another Venture to stuff it in.

Bike was wedding present from my wife. So no hot rodding this one. It gets restoration, TLC, and we ride.

OK. ...I understand. Lol.....unfortunately vmax hp is in my blood....so that's how I tend to think.

I added a small reservoir to the MAP sensor vacuum line. Built from 1.25 inch pvc coupler, two plugs, and two brass fittings. MAP reading now only have a 3% total variance. Almost got this sucker where I want it!

I added a small reservoir to the MAP sensor vacuum line. Built from 1.25 inch pvc coupler, two plugs, and two brass fittings. MAP reading now only have a 3% total variance. Almost got this sucker where I want it!
Can you post a pic?

Latest posts

Back