Ignitech programmable TCI-plug & play group purchase definately happening

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingy

Reaction score
I have enough commitment and 6 payments already in hand to definitely proceed with the Ignitech module group purchase.

Original thread with some more details linked below. Please note this thread has reference to a used MAP sensor which is not going to be the case (will include new MAP sensor) & price adjusted to reflect new unit.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19130

I am doing this in conjunction with the Venturerider.org group.

I will order the TCI's Sunday night, so I need commitment by then.

You will get following:

Pre programmed new, version 80 Ignitech module (warranty by Ignitech)

A revised program that is much better than what Ignitech is supplying.

Adapter harness for either a 1985-1989 VMax or a 1990-2007 VMax, plug & play & matching program in TCI.

A new 1 bar GM MAP sensor and wiring connector properly connected to Ignitech harness.

All documentation and original files from Ignitech along with any useful info I have collected on a CD.

Marine grade velcro to attach TCI & MAP sensor.

Small tube of dielectric grease.

I am trying to find some 3/16" vacuum hose, but is rare apparently, at least locally.

All TCI's for the 1985-1989 will be tested on my bike. I cannot start the 1990-2007 TCI's due to coil differences, but I can program module.

Cost is $248 including USPS Priority shipping to US addresses. I will send anywhere, but shipping will be more.

Ignitech also has a series of connectors that are a match for some on the VMaxs and if any are wanted I will get them along with TCI.

I don't know if this group buy will be done again, due to the number of units I need to get at a time to make it feasible.

Gary

Gary, I might be interested or could take over for supplying these possibly. Let's put me down for 2 of these. I just need to decide what years to get. An 85 unit and a newer unit I guess.

Gary, I might be interested or could take over for supplying these possibly. Let's put me down for 2 of these. I just need to decide what years to get. An 85 unit and a newer unit I guess.

This is exactly what I am hoping for by doing this is to get guys like you involved with this TCI.

I really think there is HP potential inside this box.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary I have two fifty foot rolls of Goodyear windshield washer and vacuum hose. One is 7/64 inch I.D.
Use with 1/8 inch nipple
And a roll of
5/32 inch I.D.
Use with 3/16 inch nipple
Let me know if either of them is what your looking for.

If the unit can be programmed to retard timing for boost then it's definitely a plus. We'd probably have to come up with another sender if we can get it to go one step farther and have it retard based on the amount of boost too!

Sean

Has anyone checked to see if this TCI will work with COPs? Just wondering if the higher amp draw would be an issue. Will be keeping an eye out on these as they sound like an amazing alternative to a stock TCI box!

Has anyone checked to see if this TCI will work with COPs? Just wondering if the higher amp draw would be an issue. Will be keeping an eye out on these as they sound like an amazing alternative to a stock TCI box!

I am currently running the TCI with a cops setup & no resietors in cops.

There is a setting in software for Short Dwell, Long Dwell, Auto Dwell and Manual Dwell.

Ignitech recomends short dwell time for coils under 2 ohms. (I think this is correct #), Long dwell time for over 2 ohms.

If the unit can be programmed to retard timing for boost then it's definitely a plus. We'd probably have to come up with another sender if we can get it to go one step farther and have it retard based on the amount of boost too!

Sean

Ignitech has a different version of this TCI called the Racer 3.

It has nitrous retard features included. Some other features also.

I can get this unit as part of the group buy.

TCI is about $75 more and software interface hasn't been updated to match the V80 style. Not bad software, just missing a few things like the ability to view the timing curve in 3D, the dwell settings are only Short or Long, etc.

Manual attached below.

Gary

Attachments

• manual_sparker_racing_3_en.pdf
    78.3 KB · Views: 19
I need a picture of the harness wiring connectors at the TCI for a 1990 - 2007 VMax.

Ignitech is asking for a picture to verify wiring harness adapter connections.

Gary

You can actually plug in the cdi's from the other years just the bike won't run. So, i'd say the connectors are at least the same (though I am not sure how many of the pin locations are the same).

You can actually plug in the cdi's from the other years just the bike won't run. So, i'd say the connectors are at least the same (though I am not sure how many of the pin locations are the same).

They want to see what terminals are used in each connector for proper wiring of the adapter cable. Also wire color.

This is to verify which pins are actually used in the connector that hooks to the single pickup coil.

Do the TCI's appear the same externally, which would confirm what you said about the cable connectors being the same. Almost certain that the 1 pickup coil version will be missing 3 wires on the one plug that are present on the 4 pickup coils.

Gary

I believe I have the wire harness images on the muscle how to section.

I just checked amazon.com. I searched automotive for vacuum hose and they have a 50' roll of 7/64" gates brand on sale for $9.99 it would be faster than me trying to send you mine.

I believe I have the wire harness images on the muscle how to section.

Sean,

I sent you a PM, I can't find them in your face book page.

I still could use a picture.

Also a high resolution scan of the 'Official' Yamaha 1990-2007 wiring diagram from the service manual. The I have the clymer and it does not have info on it I need.

Gary

Sean,

I sent you a PM, I can't find them in your face book page.

I still could use a picture.

Also a high resolution scan of the 'Official' Yamaha 1990-2007 wiring diagram from the service manual. The I have the clymer and it does not have info on it I need.

Gary

I have a copy of the 2001 service manual now and it has the wiring diagram in it that I need to get the harness correct on the 1 pickup coil models from 1990-2007

Picture of harness end wires at TCI would be nice visual still.

If anyone is interested in this that hasn't contacted me, I will be ordering Monday so I need to know by Sunday.

I am getting at 12 TCI's that have been requested at this point.

Gary

I will be ordering the Ignitech TCI's that I have payments for tomorrow, 8/15/11

If there is anyone else interested, contact me today, 8/14/11.

Gary

MAP sensors arrived today.

Where can you mount this on a VMax, I need to know how much vacuum line to send.

3.1" (long) x 2.02" (wide) x 2.1" (base to wiring harness top)

Gary

Attachments

• DSC02398.JPG
    DSC02398.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC02399.JPG
    DSC02399.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC02403.JPG
    DSC02403.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02406.JPG
    DSC02406.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 31
Wouldn't it take some pretty involved trial and error dyno tuning to dial this device in properly?

Wouldn't it take some pretty involved trial and error dyno tuning to dial this device in properly?

Probably, also with help from people like Sean Morley, we can dial this thing in.

I am going to try to get some dyno time for my VMax wannabe in the next few weeks. I have a shop nearby that will do it and spend as much time as I need to work this thing out (hourly rate). I will have laptop there to tweak timing in. I probably need jetting work also at this point. Anything I learn will be shared with anyone interested. I can adjust timing between dyno runs in a couple of minutes with upload to TCI in bike.

Several of ways to look at it,

Used TCI from Ebay, maybe $100 same technology and maybe a POS.

New TCI from discount vendor, $490 for a 1990, same technology though.

Dyna 3000 for 90-07, $300, newer technology, limited to 8 curves that someone else picked. I don't know if it incorporates boost sensor.

Ignitech $248 (from me) modern technology, full control of timing curve in three dimensions, built in rev limiter, built in fuel pump control (if needed), inhibit functions for no start circuits. Tach output. Can use COP's without resistors (or with users choice)

I just have to believe there is horse power waiting to be had with this module.

You re-jet carbs, put headers on, better air filters, whatever, there has to be some benefit to be able to adjust timing like we did back with a standard distributer on car engines. And with this TCI, we can go far beyond simple advance and messing with the weights on a car distributor.

Gary

Back