Igniter tester, 10 sec. to make. 2.5 Ohm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
Use 3157 bulb
straighten wires
remove plastic
twist 2 wires together
Testing:
disconnect ign coil connectors Red/w wire and yellow(gray, white, orange
attach bulb to harness connector, push start button, watch bulb blinking.

20210827_162547.jpg

So with all this chatter about cracked coils, transistors and igniter testing, do you have fire in the hole on that dream V4 yet or not? The suspense is killing me.

I received new igniter today. Bulb on the picture was blinking, when attached to each coil connector.
tomorrow morning I will attach bulbs to each Ford Focus coil (resistor) and start engine (hopefully).

Or, pull plug wire from head, insert new spark plug, make sure the strap is touching to the head somewhere. Start bike and watch the light show! Advisable to resist reaching out to touch it though!

Yes, bulbs are cheap ways to implement a power resistor but be aware that the resistance increases as the temperature goes up so is not linear.

So if you get reliability issues, try a 10w 1ohm like this, couple of $

Screenshot_20210828-051626.jpg

I suspect that for a quick and dirty ignition trigger check, linearity is not really a concern. All you’re looking at for is a blinking light. Intensity of that light is irrelevant.

^^^^^indeed, I didn't realise it was for test purposes.

Filament bulbs take a bit of time to react so I wasn't sure they be fast enough to see them flash on be a steady-is glow. (17 x per second at 1,000 rpm).

Back