Ignition coils

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vic

Reaction score
Need the assistance of the group because my coils are cracked and my mechanic says the are not up to specs. So does anybody know if I can replace with the COP coils I read somewhere. Or if anyone has at least two good ones for sale.
Thanks again everyone that gives us vmaxers so much time!!!!

I like the COP's, easy to replace, if you have the proper connectors on 'em. Gannon used to make them, I believe Sean Morley [email protected] handles the sales for him. What year is your VMax? Supposedly the first model ignition '85-'89 is more-sensitive to proper ohms of the ignition coils, and may give-up the ghost because of it, if you don't use the proper resistance. Gannon's are correct ohms.

I believe Sean Morley also stocks the Ignitech replacement VMax ignition, and his assistance in getting things properly-connected is a primary reason for purchasing from him.

It is not uncommon for the exterior plastic of the coils to crack, this is often only cosmetic, and they continue to function despite the visual flaw to the case integrity. Since the mechanic said they're 'bad,' either trust his pronouncement, or ask him to show you the difference from factory spec if you have any doubts.

I agree with just 'abandon in-place' the stock front coil pair, if you switch to COP's.

"Make motorcycling great again"

Last edited:
Don't pay labor by the hr. to remove the front coils. Maybe keep for ballast? I had to use heat, a hand impact tool and remove the radiator to get the dam things out. If going to COP's an Ignateck module is a good upgrade, at the same time. Both proven reliable and the features on the Ignateck make it worth the expense. IMO. +1 Many good coils have cracks.

Don't pay labor by the hr. to remove the front coils. Maybe keep for ballast? I had to use heat, a hand impact tool and remove the radiator to get the dam things out. If going to COP's an Ignateck module is a good upgrade, at the same time. Both proven reliable and the features on the Ignateck make it worth the expense. IMO. +1 Many good coils have cracks.

yeah my front ones were a pain in the bloody a** to remove.

But now i use the brackets for the resistors :)..

Personally i went with a custom COP setup for the future ease of it, but ALOT of hassle in the short run to do.

Back