Ignition cutoff relay function

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RempageR1

Reaction score
Hi,

My bike never had the cutoff relay as shown in this picture:

s-l1600.jpg

As by bike currently keeps running when it`s in gear with the side stand out, I want to reenable this circuit so the bike will cut out when the sidestand is extended and the bike is in gear.

I`ve done some measurements to see if I can work out how this circuit works. There are 2 wires: Red and black that provide power to the relay and there is a blue-white wire that is connected to the side stand switch and clutch. Finally, there is a black-white wire that should connect to the ignition.

Below, you can find my measurements:

Relay.PNG

So the bike will only crank when it`s either in neutral, or when it`s in gear, side stand is in and the clutch is pulled.

Funny enough, the only time the blue-white wire gets 12v is when bike is in gear, clutch is pulled and the sidestand is out.

Can anyone tell me the normal behavior of the bike cutting out? I`d assume it`s when the bike is in gear and the sidestand is extendend?

Thank you.

Mine will cut out anytime the stand is down and its in gear no matter the clutch position. I do believe it will crank in gear with the clutch in as long as the stand is up.

This is from the Owners Manual

1) Turn main switch to 'On' and engine stop switch to 'Run'
2) Transmission in gear and side stand is up
3) Pull in clutch lever and push 'Start'
4) Engine will start
5) Clutch switch is OK
6) Side stand is down
7) Engine will stall
8) Side stand switch is OK

the black and white wire going to ign needs a ground to stop there is a pass through wire ,ahot,aground if it is a 4 term relay. give me a minute and i'll draw you a diagram

two grounds one to ign box and one hot so when the switch makes one wire hot it conn the ground wire to the black and white ign wire . In other words when things go bad the black and white wire gets grounded and kills the ign

Thanks all for the help. It`s great to know what the default behavior is and that the blue/white wire goes to ground when the TCI should stop. Since my Ignitech TCI requires a ground on that input as well, I do not need to add another relay to turn it in to +12. So that`s great.

The thing that still eludes me is how the circuitry works when the bike is in gear with the sidestand out and the clutch not pulled. Because that always used to kill the engine of my Yamaha R1. I`ve updated my diagram to show this (the red line)

Relay2.PNG

This weekend I will get that relay and it should fix the green line: In gear, sidestand out and clutch pulled will kill the engine. Luckily, that`s the most important scenario because if you first start the bike in neutral, pull the clutch and put it in 1st gear whilst forgeting the sidestand, you trigger that line.

After connecting the relay, the voltage on the red line went to 12V as well. So now, the bike stalls when the sidestand is extended, weather it be with or without the clutch pulled. So case closed :)

Trying to understand why my 92 Max will not fire all of sudden.it may fire like some magic trick out of nowhere makes no sense to me.

Back