Ignition pickup coil non-OEM replacement $130

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/19902007-Yamaha-VMax-VMAX-VMX1200-Stator-Pick-up

A new pickup coil for the ignition at a price about 1/3 of Yamaha. This is a new listing for them where w/the addition of the stock rubber wire o-ring, is a bolt-in replacement. Their previous offering required you to mount the pickup coil to your original bracket.
Listed as fitting 1990-2007.

1990-2007 Yamaha V-Max VMAX VMX1200 Stator Pick up
*[P4901] *$129.99*

Replacement Part: Sometimes this is the only part that fails on your stator. This is the for the pickup coil only as shown. The rubber grommet is not included. Will need to use original rubber grommet from old pulser. To replace it pull the wires from the new pulser through and then attach the provided terminals and connector to the wires.*

OE number: 3UF-81670-00-00.

This product was added to our catalog on Wednesday 04 March, 2015.

Guys this I believe is what I am looking for. My 2005 ran last year. installed new battery this year. No spark, any cylinder!! following the manual it has you verify the pickup coil resistance. mine is infinite (open circuit). Going to Yamaha shop today, they quoted me $465 for a new pick up coil. OUCH!!!! Any comments or advice would be appreciated! maybe im not on the right track? how could it fail over the winter, no use? appreciate it!

Check for continuity on the circuit for the pick up coil and the connector. Use the ohm reading from the manual to see if the pick up coil is within spec, refer to the electrical section stickies. The p-u coil can read good but break down under a heat load (go infinite-open) and that is something you will find out from running it. Where the coil showed the correct ohm range when the bike ran, when it shuts off the reading because of the now open circuit should read infinite, o ohms and no continuity. P-u coil replacement should restore the bike function.

I ordered the new aftermarket coil specified in this thread. yes, my coil was open circuit for sure. I even cut the wire off. down by the coil and re-took my measurement. still open circuited. no spark from any cylinder like I mentioned. it sounds like other riders have seen this part fail as well so perhaps I am not unique here. I hope this new part ships soon. LOL.

I have had this VMax part go bad twice in 22 years of ownership. Let us know how it goes upon installation.

Yep still functioning. It looks like I might be getting one here rather quickly.

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/languages/french.php' (include_path='/home1/regulato/public_html/catalog/ext/HTMLPurifier:.:/opt/php52/lib/php') in /home1/regulato/public_html/catalog/includes/application_top.php on line 231

Another fuck... bug for french users...(The peering problem seems to be solved by the ISP)
Same message with FireFox or IE. i don't understand why it try to open it in french language...?

OK. I ordered and installed this Pick up coil. its $130 plus shipping and it arrived in about 5 days. It is shipped in pieces. you need to install your rubber grommet from your old sensor, slide on the protective sleeve they send (check length first).then they send electrical pins contacts that you must crimp on the wires. I used a small set on needle nose pliers to fold the tabs around the wire, then gently crimped with a standard wire crimp tool. After you do that the pins slide right in and click into the back side of the new blank electrical plug. they give you 4 pins which is smart. just in case you destroy one or two. make sure you get the right color wire into the right slot (like your old senor). bolted right in and bike fired instantly! it actually feels like its running a touch better than before the sensor failure. could be the new rear tire though,,,, LOL. so far so good after 50 miles. no idea how long it will last, time will tell. But so far I would recommend this part, unless you want to spend the $465 the Yamaha dealer quoted me.

Glad it worked well for you, we appreciate the input. Their original one they offered was cheaper but required mounting to your OEM bracket, so for what amounts to 'plug & play' (a grommet swap and a couple of crimps) I think we're all gonna be happy w/the results if or when we need one.

If I was gonna be away from home on my bike, as in hundreds or more miles, I think I would carry one of these w/me, but I'm a local poseur and not into touring.

6a00e54ed05fc2883301901d814f2e970b-400wi

Not like this fellow, anyway!

I appreciate the forum. We are stronger together as one than individually solving everything ourselves. I have to say, the Yamaha service manual took me to this part of the troubleshooting after 5 or 6 checks. it actually pointed me to the defective part, so that was impressive. I don't usually get so lucky following those troubleshooting steps. now anyone have a link to some decent slightly wider than stock handlebars? no Chinese junk though. LOL.

so far so good after 50 miles. no idea how long it will last

Got the same one on my 91, except you got a nice bracket (Later Release).. I had to cut the old sensor off the mounting brace and affix the new sensor to it. That was done 2 seasons ago, and at least 1500 miles put on her. Still going strong.
You are correct when you said, "it feels stronger". and NO it not the rear wheel.. LOL.
It produces a NICE spark compared to the failing one from a cold start.

Glad to hear you're back in business.

If a guy has a pre-1990 bike and doesn't want to spend the cash for OEM pickup coils and cannot use these for $130, could you just replace the entire stator coil with this?
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...rs/rick-s-motorsport-electric-stator?m=146672
I emailed them and they said they come with the pickup coils. Just curious if anyone used them before. For the price you might as well switch out the entire thing, no?

You better check w/them, I see nothing on the website that they (actually, the stator) come w/the ignition pick up coils, which as I said before, I believe there are two pick up coils on the '85-'89. You may be confused that the stator comes w/ coil windings which supply energy for the ignition function and for the lighting, as it supplies the current to the regulator/rectifier, and then the battery, the four ignition coils (note this is different from the pick up coils) and the lighting.

The functions of the stator and the pick up coils are two separate things. The stator supplies electricity to run the bike's electrics, and the pick up coils supply pulses courtesy of the rotor (bolted to the crankshaft end) turning inside the stationary stator. This causes (1) an electrical field picked up by the stator windings, which are stationary, which is then sent to the regulator rectifier, where the voltage is converted to the 12 volt range, and is changed from AC current to DC current, and then to the battery to keep it charged, and (2) the rotor turning inside the stationary stator has its pulses 'read' by the pick up coil. Those pulses are then read by the ignition module and that tells the plugs when to fire. The rotor has ferrous material embedded in it which when it passes the pick up coil, senses the presence of the material and sends a recognition of this to the ignition electronic control module (ECM). That tells the ECM how-fast the engine is running, and the ECM sends the spark to the primary ignition circuit to fire the correct sparkplug at the correct time.

You can switch the ignition to the 1990+ model but that is an expensive proposition, even w/used or aftermarket parts.

If a guy has a pre-1990 bike and doesn't want to spend the cash for OEM pickup coils and cannot use these for $130, could you just replace the entire stator coil with this?
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...rs/rick-s-motorsport-electric-stator?m=146672
I emailed them and they said they come with the pickup coils. Just curious if anyone used them before. For the price you might as well switch out the entire thing, no?

Yeah, they just had a simple response that they did come with the pick up coils. I just figured that since a guy has that all tore apart you might as well change them both. Morley is sending me a different set of pick ups.

Back