Ignition problem diagnosing development. Stage 2.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
Right now:
Bulb, connected to ign. coil connectors is blinking on connector 2 and 3.
Connector 4: no blinking
Connector 1: always glowing, slightly blinking.
(Changes from stage 1: pick up coil connector was disconnected, I connected it, resistance is OK)

You may want to try using small LED bulbs as they have vastly imported turn on/off times.

I would need to check the wiring diagram but every ignition coil I've come across had one end connected to power and a switched ground so the correct way of connecting the bulbs is one end to power (12v) and other to connector.

But you've kinda confirmed the drivers in the ignition module are bad, without delving inside the unit, fitting a working one is the way to diagnose/confirm that.

Chances are the output transistor had blown so in theory fixable for less than a couple of dollars.

I've never looked inside one (in fact I don't know where it's located) so ain't gone be able to help any further.

You may want to try using small LED bulbs as they have vastly imported turn on/off times.

I would need to check the wiring diagram but every ignition coil I've come across had one end connected to power and a switched ground so the correct way of connecting the bulbs is one end to power (12v) and other to connector.

But you've kinda confirmed the drivers in the ignition module are bad, without delving inside the unit, fitting a working one is the way to diagnose/confirm that.

Chances are the output transistor had blown so in theory fixable for less than a couple of dollars.

I've never looked inside one (in fact I don't know where it's located) so ain't gone be able to help any further.
2 burned transistors

Last edited:
So you've taken the unit apart - could you post a couple of photos of the board and maybe a close up of the transistors?

The age of the board I wouldn't expect surface mounted components which are a lot harder to remove /replace.

Manufacturers sometimes blank out the part numbers else have proprietary parts made but it shouldnt be that difficult to figure out a replacement part.

Back