ignition upgrades for my 85

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Reaction score
ok, i did not take the time to see if this subject has been covered on here .
So here it goes.

i plan on upgrading my ignition from stock 85. to a 93 or newer digital igntion.
I have a 93 flywheel and coil pick up. and am planing on buying a dyna 3000 box.

question 1. is this all i need to upgrade?

2. is the wiring harness the same 85 -07?

3. does any other company beside dyna make adjustable ignition boxes?

4.off subject( derian or aluminum motor mounts? )

4.off subject( derian or aluminum motor mounts? )

i did motor mounts and wouldn't ever again. i don't like them at all. tons more vibes, lots of bolts falling off, gaskets weaping. i'd do frame braces.

i did motor mounts and wouldn't ever again. i don't like them at all. tons more vibes, lots of bolts falling off, gaskets weaping. i'd do frame braces.

my stock mounts are shot.
so i will be doing mounts. not a big fan of braces. (yet)

i also have the complete harness from a 93. with all electronics still attached.
but if the harness is the same. then i won't change it.

Sean Morley is the man to ask. AFAIK it's definitely TCI, pickup coil and wiring harness, but there may be more to it.

I put the SMM on mine and love them. Hardly noticed any more vibes (although I did fit Vibranators too and already had bar end weights) and they've really made the frame feel less wobbly on high speed turns, although I think to really be solid you need to lose the high profile rear tire.

I went with Delrin ones, but I know Sean's said that they will wear eventually, whereas the aluminium ones won't. He sells the alu ones too - they are simply the Venture ones.

You will need to change a lot of stuff but not impossible. The harnesses are different and suck to change (just a lot of work winding it out of there). You can reuse the headlight and taillight, coolant sending units, Vboost parts, ignition switch and handlebar switches, coils, fuel pump/sending unit, starter, stator, and regulator (though the harness will have wiring for the newer regulator with ground wire).

You'll need to change:
Flywheel/Pickup
Sidestand Switch (down on the frame) and Relay (mounted to the front coil bracket)
Fuel Pump Relay (under the left scoop)
Turn signal Relay (under the left scoop)
Starter Relay (under the seat)
TCI/CDI (I sell dyna 3000's and even have one on hand - around $250 with shipping)
Diode Assembly (usually sitting right over the TCI/CDI box)
Can't remember what else but I think that's it. Really not as much as I had thought but it sucks changing anyway.

The early model gauge cluster has 11 wires going to it and the late model has 12 wires so that may need to be changed also. My fuel pump would only work in the res position on my 85 with the late model gauge cluster.

You will need to change a lot of stuff but not impossible. The harnesses are different and suck to change (just a lot of work winding it out of there). You can reuse the headlight and taillight, coolant sending units, Vboost parts, ignition switch and handlebar switches, coils, fuel pump/sending unit, starter, stator, and regulator (though the harness will have wiring for the newer regulator with ground wire).

You'll need to change:
Flywheel/Pickup
Sidestand Switch (down on the frame) and Relay (mounted to the front coil bracket)
Fuel Pump Relay (under the left scoop)
Turn signal Relay (under the left scoop)
Starter Relay (under the seat)
TCI/CDI (I sell dyna 3000's and even have one on hand - around $250 with shipping)
Diode Assembly (usually sitting right over the TCI/CDI box)

Can't remember what else but I think that's it. Really not as much as I had thought but it sucks changing anyway.

Wow I didnt realize that much has to changed. I knew that harness needs some minor changes but turn signal relay, fueal relay?
Any chances to tell why?
Maybe I dig into the diagrams and see what I can find!

You can rewire the starter relay to work fine. Not sure about the other relays. The early model signal and fuel relay are combined and i'm sure can't be bypassed easily.

I was not aware of the cluster difference and will check the father in laws bike to see if that's the problem! His is doing the same thing.

Sean

ok, what if I go this route.

Look for a dyna box for an 85-89. or a Morley modified box.
or does anyone else make igniters.

I like the Dyna because of it's adjusting features. But they discontinued the Box
because of lack of sales. Where can I get 1? would prefer a NEW ONE.

I have one that has probably 50 miles on it (currently on my drag bike) I may be interested in selling it if I ever try to go the MegaSquirt III route. Are you wanting it this year? Who knows maybe you can take it home with you after the races in CF.

Jeff

if the price is right, i'll be all over it.
was hoping to have one before cf. but
since the dyna is so hard to find. I think i'm going to upgrade my forks,front brakes. for the track day
And after talking with Sean my solid motor mount upgrade. will be done by the end of next week.

I would really like to build it myself and really learn/understand how it works. It may be way over my head, but there is only one way to find out. I really want to learn more about these systems, and once you learn it, you can do some amazing things. My drag racing career is never going to go anywhere, but I still want to learn things and I'm willing to bet, that electronics will play more and more of a major role into drag racing as time goes by, so by the time my boy is ready to race, I hope to know enough to build him some pretty cool toys. Right now I have zero time, so who knows what the future holds.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back