IL USA wheelie fine to be $1K

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Another unusual law taking effect at midnight is Public Act 97-743 in Illinois. This law imposes a fine of $1,000 on anyone who pops a wheelie on a motorcycle while speeding. While this law might upset some motorcyclists, the state is now giving them a free pass to go through red lights. Motorcycles are often not heavy enough to trigger magnetic sensors at traffic lights to inform them a vehicle has pulled up. Motorcyclists usually have to wait for a car to pull up before the light turns green. The new bill states that after a "reasonable" amount of time, the motorcycle could pass the red light if the coast is clear. The law doesn't apply to cities where the population exceeds 2 million people.

The moral of the story: "don't speed when you pop a wheelie!":rofl_200:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/welcomes-oddball-state-laws-122832764--abc-news-topstories.html

images

While speeding huh? Looks like they're after the shithead stunters who ride wheelies on the freeway in a circus atmosphere of "look at me" vanity.....

I wish the hell all states would make some law about the sensor issue, wait forever and then be forced to run a red light or else make an illegal cut through a parking lot to get around it? That sucks!!

On the "heavy" thing?

I find that one hilarious whenI see some guy on a bike bouncing up and down trying to get a sensor to trigger:rofl_200:

Those things don't weigh the vehicle they trigger on "steel/iron mass", the sensor is a current loop with a fixed current being pushed through it, the stee/iron mass of the vehicle entering the loop causes the current to go up, triggering the "brain" just as the current goes up in a transformer when you insert an iron core inside the center of the winding.....You can jump up and down all day long all you'll get is buff legs...

Those magnets that go on the bike are snake oil too....

That's not too bad I guess. The fines for reckless driving here in Illinois go as high as $2,500. Popping a wheelie while speeding could be described as reckless and be hit with that charge. Exhibition driving on the other hand is $100 fine, and so a speeding + exhibition is going to be about $200.

This doesn't overly concern me I have to say. I just wish they would legalize lane splitting here. That could very well save me $75 in the future, and make drivers more accustomed to it and less likely to try and hit me with their car door.

While speeding huh? Looks like they're after the shithead stunters who ride wheelies on the freeway in a circus atmosphere of "look at me" vanity.....

I wish the hell all states would make some law about the sensor issue, wait forever and then be forced to run a red light or else make an illegal cut through a parking lot to get around it? That sucks!!

On the "heavy" thing?

I find that one hilarious whenI see some guy on a bike bouncing up and down trying to get a sensor to trigger:rofl_200:

Those things don't weigh the vehicle they trigger on "steel/iron mass", the sensor is a current loop with a fixed current being pushed through it, the stee/iron mass of the vehicle entering the loop causes the current to go up, triggering the "brain" just as the current goes up in a transformer when you insert an iron core inside the center of the winding.....You can jump up and down all day long all you'll get is buff legs...

Those magnets that go on the bike are snake oil too....

+1 on the loop wires / loop detector situation. I install these all the time for my gate operator installations for vehicle safety and vehicle free exit functions. If not paved over , you can look for the sealant / lines in black or grey as you pull up to most any traffic light. Just position the bike / motor so that it straddles a line ( there may be 2 or 3 ) just before you stop , that will trigger the loop detector to start counting to whatever number of seconds it has been programmed to ( 5-30 seconds is standard ) . When it gets to the pre-programmed number , it will trigger the light to change. Weight has nothing to do with it . A heavy belt buckle or a shovel can trigger it , if laid on the pavement. It's looking for the presence of metal.

+1 on the loop wires / loop detector situation. I install these all the time for my gate operator installations for vehicle safety and vehicle free exit functions. If not paved over , you can look for the sealant / lines in black or grey as you pull up to most any traffic light. Just position the bike / motor so that it straddles a line ( there may be 2 or 3 ) just before you stop , that will trigger the loop detector to start counting to whatever number of seconds it has been programmed to ( 5-30 seconds is standard ) . When it gets to the pre-programmed number , it will trigger the light to change. Weight has nothing to do with it . A heavy belt buckle or a shovel can trigger it , if laid on the pavement. It's looking for the presence of metal.

Yup. Ever since someone pointed that out to me several years back it greatly reduced the number of intersections I have problems at now.

Well i better stay in MI USA. :biglaugh:
Mike_Big_Wheelie-1-2.jpg

Right, this is gonna give the squids a thousand more reasons to outrun L.E. ( law enforcement )
I ran on my Max just twice for speed since 1986 so that ain't too bad I think.

Right, this is gonna give the squids a thousand more reasons to outrun L.E. ( law enforcement )
I ran on my Max just twice for speed since 1986 so that ain't too bad I think.

I always get off my bike.. walk over and push the cross walk button.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

not sure what the $ amount is out here, but I do know they will impound your bike for 30 days and arrest you. 30 days at impound is near $1k+fines

Not everyone will agree with me; that's fine.
I'm just stating my opinion.
I may not agree with your opinion either.

If you want to do burnouts, pop wheelies, and drive over the speed limit in traffic, where there is a liklihood of being pulled over; go for it.
But you should be prepared to accept the natural consequences for what you did.

I think a better solutions (the one that I use), is to "pick my spot".
I pick areas where there is little if any traffic. The liklihood of me hurting anyone but myself is extremely remote. It is also very unlikely that I will see any law enforcement in those area, and end up with a ticket.

Am I going to stop doing burnouts, popping wheelies, or going over the speed limit?
No.
BUT, I will continue to pick my spots.
I don't need an audience; I know what I did, and why I did it, and it was not to impress anyone else. It was all for me.

If I do get caught; I expect the natural consequences.
Will I be happy about it? NO
Will I try to talk my way out of it? YES
After having been burned once, will I do it again?
Probably.

My major concern is not hurting anyone else, because of my poor decision making.

Jester 42

That's a good point, there's a time and place for hooligan antics, and the middle of traffic is not the place for it. Extreme speeding, wheelies, weaving through traffic at best will get you a ticket and at worst get you killed. Deserted highway, clear streets, 2am? Go for it. Most MC accidents are single vehicle, as in rider error. Only person who gets hurt was the rider, so if you want to chance it that's your call to make.

In NY anything 40+ mph over the limit is an automatic license suspension, vehicle impound, and ride in the cop car.

Most cops around here don't even bother if you're really hauling ass. If you're going to speed, do it good and proper.

I'm not sure the vmax can wheelie and speed at the same time? I mean sure you can huck one off the line and ride it a bit if you're really daring, but it's not a sportbike where you can snap it onto one wheel at 90mph.

I'm not sure the vmax can wheelie and speed at the same time? I mean sure you can huck one off the line and ride it a bit if you're really daring, but it's not a sportbike where you can snap it onto one wheel at 90mph.

Agreed but, you don't need to be doing 90 to be speeding. I got a ticket for going 23 mph a couple months ago. :bang head:

lol Was that in a parking lot? Where in the hell is 23mph speeding?

School zone in a small town I had never been to before. I was pulled over before I even knew there was a school there. A couple other cars were on the road driving slow so, I followed suite. Guess I didn't slow down enough though.

I did pay a fine but they reduced the charge so no points against my license. The cop saw my laptop in the truck with a map on it and figured I was trying to find my way around.

"There are three commonly seen shapes, and the way you position a two-wheeled vehicle over them can affect whether or not it gets detected. "
http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights

Back