I'm 5'6"/buck-fifty .. too small for a Vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holeshot

Reaction score
Hola! As stated .... 5 foot 6 inches, 150 pounds. Flattraker/jockey sized.

In the mid 1980s I had a Harley FXRS. I traded in my Sportster XR1000 for it ... HUGE mistake. Bike was too big for me. Everything sucked ass. I changed the seat, bars, footpegs. Seems no matter what I did the bike felt to large for me. And the seating position blew chunks too. I always felt like I was stuck halfway up in a situp, my stomach muscles strained against the force of the freeway speed winds (no fairing).

My Sportsters always felt spot on. I had an 87 Fazer ("Baby Max") and it's riding position was WAY better than that slug of a bike (the FXR).

So that said ... since I've no access to a Vmax around here (you kiddin'? This is HD mecca!) I was wondering if anyone could coach me a bit about the seating position and general fitment of the Vmax. Am I going to have that same "little kid sitting on Dad's bike" feeling I had with the FXR?

I had no problems riding the living fek out of that FXR, it handled kinda crappy but well enough for cruising I suppose. But it was just too big in the relationship between the bars/pegs/seat. Those three points just drew too large of a triangle to fit my runt ass. I had little trouble with wrestling the 750+ pounds around, but I was just so uncomfortable on longer rides. I got fatigued inside of 2 hours. The ride Dad and I took to Sacramento from Yuma (to watch the Sacto Mile race one year) was murder. 2k miles on a bike that did not fit. Yuk.

Soon as the penny jar has some funds in it, I'll be searching in earnest for ANY Vamx I can afford (project bikes and neglect caes are fine .. whatever it takes, y'know?).

Please tell me that I can fit my self on one of these beloved Yamahas. I'm currently building up an 84 Magna 700cc ... hoping to pawn that off on the wife as Trike fodder if the Vmax project pans out ...

http://www.ironhorsemotorbikeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54

For years and years (20?) I had myself 100% convinced that I could NEVER afford even a used Vmax. I've A.L.W.A.Y.S. loved Yamaha and their philosophies but never thought I'd ever be able to afford a used streetbike. Well, I've discovered that I can at least afford the insurance, and even be responsible about it! Meaning that I can afford to insure my own liability for as much as I insure the irresponsibility of others (in other words, my uninsured motorist insurance coverage is now the same as my own liability coverage is! Hot dayum .. I actually CAN be a responsible bike owner now!). So now I can at least afford to no longer be the same guy I was insuring myself against! (the underinsured motorist!). HAAHAA!! Isn't it funny how people will take out 50/100 on uninsured motorist, but then only pay for 10/20 liability? So it ends up that they are .. essentially .. insuring themselves against people just like themselves? Isn't that ironic?

So .. hopefully I can find a *stepchild* Vmax that was left out in the weather for a few years, or some other less than desireable one and get into the *club*. :)

Um .... if it will fit me, that is!

It's so strange. After giving in and allowing myself to really looking over the Vmax lately I've discovered that I was (unknowingly) building up a "baby Vmax" of sorts with this 700cc. It's so funny how many things are the same in the way I am heading with that bike. Truly odd indeed.

Anyhow ... thanks for the help ... on the sizement issue.

Hasta Lasagne!

Brian ..

I would find someone with a max and ask to sit on it, even if you have to go to a Yamaha shop where they might have a used one or one in the shop not running. Before I bought a project bike I would look for someone wanting to sell one in good condition, check the BUYand Sell on this forum.
I think you will fit just fine on a Vmax.

The max has had such a deep history of being modded, that in a lot of ways the resemble harleys; you rarely see one completely stock. That can be good or bad for you when you go looking for one, depending on the level of compentency of the guy you buy it from. It also means that you have a deep well to pull from when it comes to making it yours. From cut down seats to higher foot pegs to lowering the bike, getting it right is just a matter of money. Getting the bike to fit you once you are underway is doable, certainly.

Now, realistically there is a point at which the easy/cheap mods give over to rediculous ones, that is a matter of your budget. The real important measurement is the one you didn't give, what is your inseam? Stock seat height is about 30 inches. At 650 pounds you don't want to be tip toeing around!

The max has had such a deep history of being nodded, that in a lot of ways the resemble harleys; you rarely see one completely stock. That can be good or bad for you when you go looking for one, depending on the level of compentency of the guy you buy it from. It also means that you have a deep well to pull from when it comes to making it yours. From cut down seats to higher foot pegs to lowering the bike, getting it right is just a matter of money. Getting the bike to fit you once you are underway is doable, certainly.

Now, realistically there is a point at which the easy/cheap mods give over to rediculous ones, that is a matter of your budget. The real important measurement is the one you didn't give, what is your inseam? Stock seat height is about 30 inches. At 650 pounds you don't want to be tip toeing around!
I don't start tippy-toeing until the seat height gets to 31 or more. Depending on it's width, of course. I wear 31's. Standing beside Kenny Roberts or Randy Mamola you can't tell us apart, if that's any help.

My troubles don't happen at stoplights. The HD weighed in at 750+ with a 29/30 inch seat height. And that part is fixable in several ways, que no? (new seat, lowered bike, etc ..). My thing was the three points I was yammering about ... bars to pegs to seat. Especially the forward-ish "mid-pegs" that the HD had ... not really at the swingarm pivot, not really forward controls either. The bars were too close to my chest, and the pegs were too far from my pelvis. Sat GREAT at a standstill, but moving blew. Sorta like my Magna ... just wrong. The footpegs made it tough to lean into the wind, making my stomach muscles bind.

Here ... look here .. this is just about *right* for me ... this is me on the Magna when it was in mockup ....

IMGP7101.jpg

Everything is good here .. except the pegs, they could stand to go back about 6 to 8 inches or so. Slight forward lean, but not sportbike lean. Arms locked, torso weight supported by legs and arms, rather than by the seat. I've found that bikes that sit well on the showroom floor SUCK on the freeway. I've done a good little bit to get this seating position going you see here. Others work ok too, just as long as it isn't the whole *sofa glide* stuff.

:)

.. but you can plainly see how I didn't fit on this bike. It's great in the garage, but the freeway did not work out ... I prefer leaning into the wind a bit. At sped I'm leaning back a little on the old FLH here. (a 1974 btw, if anyone wondered).

hogdayafternoon.jpg

Stop light are never the problem, it's driveways and parking lots and back road stops where sand and gravel lurk to suck you sure footing away that is the problem. That's where getting you feet not just flat but out and flat is so nice! But if you have been a regular daily rider for any time you know this and I'll gladly concede that if you are comfortable with that the bike should be good for you. While it is hard to judge from a picture (no true frame of reference) it looks about right if you added a drag bar.

I'm 6' with 34" inseam and on cold mornings wish I had somewhat lower pegs (old band injury, f*ck the brass section) but I don't want to give up the lean angle. My knees are about were yous are so I would guess yours would be a litte lower.

Heck one of Sean's friends in Kansas, wife rides one! Erin is a small gal too. I remembered they cut the seat down etc. so she could reach the ground with her tippy toes! So I say you will be just fine....

G

You should not have any problems with a few mods to fit yourself.put drag bars on and rearsets, lower it an inch or 2 and that would be the position your looking for. slightly leaning forward but not laying on the tank,
thats my favorite riding position. also look at jay Gleason, he was a small guy and look how he rode a vmax.:rocket bike:

I'm only 5'8" and 160, so I think you would be quite comfy especially with your previous motorcycle background. My brother has an 883 sportster, and I swear its heavier than my vmax! Get a Sportmax or Morley cut down seat, and you will be able to stand flat-footed, or real close to it. Like Bill said above, you can also lower the front forks in the trees and get a shorter set of rear shocks to bring it even lower. Go for it!

YA there was this one guy who rides a vmax. He's not very big either. his name is Jay something.
lol

i'm 5'10" but we probably have the same damn inseam. a cut down seat and dropping th ebike a bit will help...

some radials help the low speed handling significantly.

Here I am on the 87 Fazer taken in 1991. Stone stocker. It fit me great, at least I thought it did.

Dunes-racing-fazer-1.jpg

Here's PeeWee (Jay Gleason)....

1984SabreV65withPeeWeeGleasonvf1100sabre.jpg

I might even have an inch or so on him! Haa!

I got behind that "Jay" fella during practice one night at Ascot (1977?) ... Holy Radioactive Coyotes Batman! I hung with him for a couple of laps, but I know damned well he was just cattin' with me. Especially in the north turn. I was on a privateer XR750 that had a couple/few seasons on it and he was on his factory ride. The straights were not even funny .. shit ... like I was parked! He let me slip under him in the north turn, only to pass me on the outside as we apexed. I'm riding my brains out and he's just dicking with me. HAA! He came over to our pit a little later and he gave me a few pointers on turn entry, and later I transfered 1st heat! Took second in the Junior Main that night. My mom was in the hospital and I remember how proud I was when I brought her the trophy. That one is burned in there forever, no doubt about it.

If you're not man enough to handle a FXR you probably can't handle a Vmax either.

If you're not man enough to handle a FXR you probably can't handle a Vmax either.
Heheh .... *man enough*? ... Um .... ok.

I suppose I was *man enough* .... just not *tall enough* ... to enjoy it.

Unless you have to be *tall* to be a man, is that the issue? If so, I understand. Many people equate height to masculinity. I never have had a problem with being a wuss.

Welcome to the forum and our addiction . Good to hear you can mod 'em , cause you'll have to , in order to get the " comfortable " position in your picture. 17 " sportbike radials & wheels , Yam R-1 , GSXR 750 / 1000 , Kaw ZX 750R front ends ( w/ brakes ) , cut down seat , shorter Progressive or Works rear shocks will all get you lower and greatly upgrade handling . Sean Morley of Morleys Muscle , a vendor on the forum , racer and modder extradinaire , can also help with parts / advice on all of the above .

Here's a pic of my '98 , which I have to be very careful around even small speed bumps. :punk:

Attachments

• DSC01752.jpg
    DSC01752.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 22
Back