I'm a Harbor Freight addict

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hf for life. after katrina sears no longer allow returns on tools with rust on them. doesn't make sense since i had a box wrench that got rust on it... meanwhile i went to harbor freight today and brought back a composite ratchet that the release cover fell off. no receipts, no paperwork to fill out, simply grabbed a new one off the shelf and told me thanks. i broke a pair of needle nose pliers but the set comes with both a straight nose and 45 degree. they gave me the entire set. their impact sockets are great, i prefer the 72 tooth ratchets

I love that place,
I just bought a 3/8 drive torque wrench there for $16.00
and it works great for me.
anyway most tools you buy now have a lifetime warranty
and some of china`s alloys are better than ours.
<<Dave>>:punk:

I don't have much opinion on the trade/support america issue other than to say that if it's a long term purchase I wanna buy the best, if it's foriegn and the best, I'll buy it. Made in America doesn't carry much clout to me when American companies and the unions that hobble them make crap as well.

That said, I've bought a fair amount of Harbor Frieght stuff for work when i need to run down the street and grab something to get the job done and leave it at the shop for someone else to break or lose anyway.
I have had luck with about 30% of it, the rest of it was crap that either broke or wore out prematurely, but if it's something wierd I won't use more than once or twice and half the price then it amortizes out to being cheaper per job than something expensive and high quality that I won't use more than a couple of times.....

dunno. got the same post on a powdercoating thread?

On the craftsmen note, I stopped buying craftsmen years ago for several reasons. The biggest was the stores closed around me, The second was hand tool quality dropped significantly. virtually all craftsman "hand tools" were made in china and have been for several years. 82863136-3AB5-4057-816A-17358C2598AB.pngif this changes the quality maybe i'll start buying again.

I'll go out of my way and pay more to not support covid country but on some purchases it's not even possible. Who remembers when "Made in Japan" was a slam on your cycle, car or stereo ? I just like to get good stuff wherever it's made and have it around again for the next time. Our neighbor in the early 70's was a manager at Sears and had garage sales every weekend so as a young cycle mechanic I bought a few tools every weekend and filled my box with Sears tools. I'm kind of stuck with Craftsman but I haven't bought much for a couple of decades now. Nice to see they're back in the US.

I'll go out of my way and pay more to not support covid country but on some purchases it's not even possible. Who remembers when "Made in Japan" was a slam on your cycle, car or stereo ? I just like to get good stuff wherever it's made and have it around again for the next time. Our neighbor in the early 70's was a manager at Sears and had garage sales every weekend so as a young cycle mechanic I bought a few tools every weekend and filled my box with Sears tools. I'm kind of stuck with Craftsman but I haven't bought much for a couple of decades now. Nice to see they're back in the US.

I think you'll need to go well-beyond the average age of the members here to achieve that timeframe! I suggest a modification to the mentioned goods, and say, just 'goods.' Why do I say that? As a Korean War kid, the tin-toys of pressed-steel, some with wind-up 'motors' (springs/flywheels) that were so-popular among the Baby Boomers, would have a small rectangular painted tag somewhere inconspicuous. 'Made in Japan,' it would proclaim. My plastic molded army men all said, 'Japan.' Sometimes the bicycle accessories I bought would have a Japan origin. D-cell bullet lights, reflectors, and other stuff, you could find the 'Japan' label.

In the 1960's, servicemen coming home from tours in SE Asia would visit the P.X. and purchase Japanese stereos and cameras, before hopping-on the trans-Pacific flight home. Those were among the first goods which bore the 'made in Japan' label which impressed Americans with their quality and durability, and which sold in large numbers.

Toyota and Datsun were west-coast only in the early 1960's, about the same time that the Japanese manufacturers of motorcycles began getting some sizable sales, and in one of the greatest marketing campaigns of all-time, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda." Sales were often done from sporting good stores and hardware stores, not the first place you'd think to buy a motorcycle. As the affordable small-displacement motorcycles demonstrated their reliability, demand grew, and dealerships became stand-alone businesses no-longer based in places like hardware stores. The success of Honda also allowed the growth of other Japanese motorcycle manufacturers, even promoting American companies to order Japanese factories to build to American specs. PABATCO Trading in OR started Hodaka, Fuji Heavy Industries built the Rabbit, a popular scooter whose lines were similar to a Cushman. Soon communities were seeing many of these small-displacement motorcycles and mopeds, especially places like college campuses. Many riders who chose to stay in the motorcycling arena bought the larger displacement Japanese bikes as they became available, while other riders dropped-out, but switched to four wheels from two, and they often chose to buy Japanese cars and small trucks, because they had become familiar with the gas economy and reliability of the Japanese products. My family bought its first new Toyota in 1968. Toyota, Datsun, and Mazda dealers were doing great business, and the Arab oil embargo of 1973 sidelined many a muscle car which were replaced with Japanese cars and light trucks which got in some cases several-times as-many MPG as the GTO's, 442's, GS, Mach 1's, Boss 302/351/429, Charger, Daytona, Super Bee performance vehicles idled by their poor gas mileage.

My first quality toolset I got was a Wright-manufactured metric socket set, and a set of metric open-ended wrenches. I got that to work on the family VW bugs, and I still use that Wright socket set to work-upon my metric motorcycles today. Wright is made in USA. I have plenty of Japanese tools of one sort or another. How-many of you have a ratcheting pvc pipe-cutter? That was invented by a Japanese company. I agree with Tom on the utility of domestically-produced Sears Craftsman, most of my sockets and wrenches are Craftsman, most of-which were bought in the 1970's. I'm glad to see that factories are returning to the USA, and I don't mind paying more for that. Not long-ago I bought a 1/4", 3/8" standard and deep socket set from Wright, to allow me to 'give a rest' to my 1960's Wright metric socket set, but those old ratchets (mine is the 'Tootsie-Roll' cushioned handle) are hard to put-down.

Nice to see they're back in the US.
I don't know if that's a guarantee they're going to be any higher quality but at least you can find them again at Lowe's, which used to be a pain after all of the closings of the actual Sears stores.

Although, as others have mentioned, their 'lifetime guarantee' isn't really lifetime. 20 years ago I bought a Craftsman torque wrench at an actual Sears store and the thing broke after about six months of use. Took it back to the same store with the original purchase receipt and was told there was only a 90 day warranty on it. Asked them to show me where it said that and pitched a fit and they finally agreed to exchange it, mostly just to shut me up I imagine, but that is the last Craftsman tool I ever purchased.

Seems you can get Rigid at Home Depot or Kobalt at Lowe's and likely have a similar quality tool that doesn't have the premium for the name on it and it's far easier to find a place to return/exchange it should the need arise.

The only time I ever was unable to exchange a Craftsman hand tool carrying a lifetime warranty, was when my pop-rivetool bearing the Craftsman name broke, and as they were no-longer carrying that tool, they offered me store credit on its purchase price, with-which I was satisfied.

The only time I ever was unable to exchange a Craftsman hand tool carrying a lifetime warranty, was when my pop-rivetool bearing the Craftsman name broke, and as they were no-longer carrying that tool, they offered me store credit on its purchase price, with-which I was satisfied.
Far better results than what I had...

I should have never found this place.......lol
Just found another must have in my tool cabinet.

hf.jpg

I said I've never buy any of their junk. But then last week dropped over $800 on a US General Tool box. Very nice.

There is a Harbor Freight here in Aurora outside of Denver, a motorcycle shop in plain view down the street.
Guy's would give each other shit if you where seen going in or out of that HF.
LMAO! I used to go in that store on Monday when the bike dealership was closed.
Id also make the purchase with the sole intent of using the "inferior junk tool"
and returning it, cuzz if you keep it too long its going to break.
I mean just up and "Break" LOL because it has no brand name, comes from a different tome zone, or a place with an unfamiliar name, it just can't last!!!
No way, not at that price, you only get what you pay for....

I now have more than a few HF tools, but I will say this!
Their biggest and baddest impact, the 'Earthquake" has been no match
to the power of my Milwaukee.

There is a Harbor Freight here in Aurora outside of Denver, a motorcycle shop in plain view down the street.
Guy's would give each other shit if you where seen going in or out of that HF.
LMAO! I used to go in that store on Monday when the bike dealership was closed.
Id also make the purchase with the sole intent of using the "inferior junk tool"
and returning it, cuzz if you keep it too long its going to break.
I mean just up and "Break" LOL because it has no brand name, comes from a different tome zone, or a place with an unfamiliar name, it just can't last!!!
No way, not at that price, you only get what you pay for....

I now have more than a few HF tools, but I will say this!
Their biggest and baddest impact, the 'Earthquake" has been no match
to the power of my Milwaukee.
"Earthquake" (Chinese) is why I started with and stayed with Milwaukee. An old friend loves HF for the cheap "Get it done once is good enough" aspect so I went in there with him one time and quickly realized the name should be "Chinese Harbor Freight". I think the only thing in those stores that's not Chinese is the employees. (Here in Mpls MN anyway)

I bought a HFT combo demo hammer/impact drill in SDS-Max size to demolish two bathrooms. The tool cost <$100 on-sale. The contractor wanted $1,000 apiece for the bathroom demolitions. I did each in two days, and took the debris to the dump in contractor's debris bags, several tons. I used-up one wide bit, it broke on the second bathroom, and the replacement bit is still-performing.

Later I tore-down a wire lath and stucco storage shed the father-in-law built, about 15 ft X 15 ft., the HFT demo hammer/drill worked flawlessly. That was 4 tons to the dump.

Putting it in VMax terms, that less-than $100 tool from Harbor Freight gave me enough in $-saved, to buy a decent running VMax! Or, several parts bikes!

In my experience, the quality of their hand tools is improving. Since you can no-longer pop-into Sears Roebuck to pull-off the wall of tools what you need, HFT has filled a place in the market. The Ace Hardware Craftsman displays are nowhere-near what was sold in the Sears hardware sections.

I don't have one but their air compressors have good customer reviews on tool websites, especially the ones that have Italian pumps. The bike lifts are a good value for the $, and they last. Ask Kyle, he's had one or more for years.

Last edited:
On a whim after using them for odds and ends, I began purchasing some power tools from HF some time ago. I have (so far) been pleasantly surprised with their durability (AC drill, angle grinder, DA buffer/polisher). Bought an IR spot temp reader, also trouble-free after several years. Motorcycle lift table. No worries.

So yes, I agree that their quality seems to be improving. Their prices are going up, too. I used to be astonished at how they could sell at the prices they listed. Although they still have pretty low prices, I am not "astonished" by them any more...

Also, and for me, they remain my 'go-to' spot for consumables and high-wear items: gloves, bungees, zip-ties, flashlights, tow straps, etc.

Oh, and I bought a small, roll around, tactical US General tool box. Works fine.

YMMV

I like the 4-pack orange ratcheting straps, I use 'em for all sorts of storage around the shop. I will use the two inexpensive furniture dollies, and the orange ratcheting straps to secure heavy and-or bulky items to them, for ease of rolling things around, as I play garage Tetris to make my limited-space two-car garage work for me. I also will use 2x4's for the furniture dollies, and use the casters, for a more-sturdy wheel-about. Their "1,000 lbs rating" seems to lack under the weight of a VMax engine, as the 'one-by' lumber becomes sway-backed beneath the 250 lbs weight of a complete engine, when stored for a longer period.

Last edited:
I used one the table lifts for years to with no issues at all and used it every day not just occasional use. I have several friends that have the quiet run generators and have had great luck with them so I broke down and bought one last week. I will admit some of the stuff they sell is junk but the quality has improved on a lot of other stuff.

I used one the table lifts for years to with no issues at all and used it every day not just occasional use. I have several friends that have the quiet run generators and have had great luck with them so I broke down and bought one last week. I will admit some of the stuff they sell is junk but the quality has improved on a lot of other stuff.
What generator did you purchase ?

Latest posts

Back