I'm about to throw in the towel :(

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably same reason why the news does not report road deaths in India, which is significantly higher than UK.

If you recall Not the nine o clock use where Pamela Stephenson read the news, " today there was a plane crash in Bolivia. 65 people died but none of them were British"

Basically we are more interested what's happening on our doorstep, a jack knifed lorry at junction 4 of m25 closing two lanes is more relevant than whether Herr Schwatzmann in an audi rs4 stuffed himself and family into a bridge.

View attachment 80712
Yes I remember Pamela, she married a Glaswegian.

i don't doubt at all the figures you post, all I know is that i’ve never seen an accident on an Autobahn, or been held up for more than a couple of minutes on one. But i’ve sat on the M6 for 6 3/4 hours once, and been sitting for many hours on the M6 Smart Motorway that is usually at a standstill same as Manchester cut off. Infact squeezed my way through 20 miles of standstill traffic once on the VMax (overheating) The amount of accidents at Stafford is incredible. It is same on the M5 trying to get from Birmingham to Bristol. So maybe less deaths, but surely not being held up with accidents (even minor) that stop the motorway. Maybe Germany does not have so many rubber neckers that cause even more accidents ontop of others.

I worked and lived down that way for years and have booked hotels on a Sunday to avoid the chaos on the M6 on Mondays. One bump and our motorway is down to one lane.

So maybe the figures are not just actual Autobahn’s, I know it says Autobahn, but the way I read it the figures are suggesting Autobahn’s are all of Germany’s highways too. The German highways and motorways are not the Autobahn’s. i’ve never noticed a sign that says Autobahn, I know i’m in one when the speedo disappears from the satnav. Same motorway, just stretches that appear now and then with no speed limit. It would be interesting to know about accidents on the actual Autobahn’s only.

put a rubber washer between the 2 nuts that lock in the neck berrings .... worked for me.

Hi guys ... how are you. I've been fighting wobble for more than three months now. It all started last June when I saw myself inside a very aggressive Shimmi at 200 km / h from which I could get out, I don't know how. Even today I have pain in my wrists from the force that I had to do to keep from going to the ground.

As some of you know, my vmax EURO 2003 changed completely last May, after doing a complete conversion (Vboot kit, exhaust pipes, dyna 3000 and jet to 152.5) which from that moment I started to realize the power of my motorcycle, but the defects of such power also emerged.

The first thing I did was put some progressive springs on the forks (I improved a lot) but the dances were still going on. Later I completely changed the steering bearings, it improved a lot but not enough. The last thing I decided to change were the tires to an Avon Cobra chrome rear (150-90-15) and an Avon Spirit in front (120-70-18)

I have to say that the tires have been perfectly balanced, all the tightening of both the fork and the oscillating arm have been checked, in the latter the condition of the bearing has even been checked. Well, the bike has improved a lot, but even so I can't go beyond 220 km / h without that terrible movement.

I do not want to put elements that are not of stock, for me the Vmax is precious as it is of origin. Which I know what my limitations are. At the moment I want to continue with the standard rear shock, which by the way is at its hardest points (4-4) for a weight of 89 kg.

So I don't know what to do, what to touch or what to look at ... I think the time has come to throw in the towel.

Thank you very much for reading such a novel. Greetings colleagues.

I attach a link so you can see what I'm talking about, look at what happens after 220 km / h (1m 30s)

Any suggestion will be very welcome. Here are the true MASTERS of the VMAX

Tire pressure? Sometimes it’s the simple thing.

@Screwloose indeed, twas Billy connolly.

As for doubting the figures you should. I did a quick search and that was the first table I found, who can say how accurate it is, and if one searches long enough, one should find data on Internet that fits ones agenda.

Re accidents and hold ups on UK vs German roads, a factor that comes into play is the volume of traffic plus driving ability. I haven't searched it but it would not surprise me if Germany has more Autobahn miles per cars registered.
From what I heard, Germans tend to follow orders so the standard of driving may be better, unlike here where many think it's acceptable to stay in the the middle or outer lane when the inside is clear.

I can only imagine Spa and the TT on the Isle of Man being more-terrifying than the Nurburgring.
Whilst I can't comment on Spa I have driven around the TT circuit (in a car) and Nurbrgring. IMO either would be frightening at racing speeds.
As far as my mate is concerned, the only thing worse than Nurburgring when wet with other bikes and cars coming past you faster than the speed of sound, would be a firing squad...on second thoughts he would probably vote for the firing squad. 😵

@Screwloose indeed, twas Billy connolly.

As for doubting the figures you should. I did a quick search and that was the first table I found, who can say how accurate it is, and if one searches long enough, one should find data on Internet that fits ones agenda.

Re accidents and hold ups on UK vs German roads, a factor that comes into play is the volume of traffic plus driving ability. I haven't searched it but it would not surprise me if Germany has more Autobahn miles per cars registered.
From what I heard, Germans tend to follow orders so the standard of driving may be better, unlike here where many think it's acceptable to stay in the the middle or outer lane when the inside is clear.
Exactly, also Pamela's body and looks were personally crafted by the great T&A god.

I did not want to go too deep into the subject, but your comment on driving abilities is very accurate, not to mention more than likely observant.

For fear of being ripped to shreds by someone I'll elaborate. Being a contractor that up until last year traveled the world going in and out of different countries I've made observations about people's driving abilities and attitudes in many countries. I also like to explore during vacations and go mostly camping as I hate hotels and end up in remote areas throughout mostly EU. So I'll give my take on the UK first; there is a reluctance to let people into spaces at for example motorway cut-offs, and plenty of people would rather crash than let others in. There are some chancers just trying to abuse everyone, but to me it's not worth a crash, maybe a few swear words and signals. Then Germany, where generally I find the people are very polite and try to be helpful, out on the Motorway they move over when you come up the back of them, and on the Autobahn everyone going slower sticks strictly into the slow lanes and do not come out unless there is absolutely no-one in the outside lane. They give respect to very fast moving traffic. For instance go anywhere near Stuttgart and the Porsche's are out at 200 MPH, with the 'welly to the metal' and at the end of Autobahn stretches it looks like they are dropping out of warp speed. Middle lane slow traffic has become a big problem in the UK and some people refuse outright to move in, and cannot understand or do not care if they are forcing people to undertake them, or holding up people with trailers that cannot go on the outside lane. Some people are truly in a hurry at times and in my view just better to accommodate that. We have bad attitudes here, but it is not getting any better, I'm now seeing very young females cutting up people, its tragic. Yes we certainly do have different driving abilities and attitudes to Germany. And again yes; in my view the infrastructure in Germany is superior to the UK.

Some of my best camping stories come from Germany with allot of the people (including young children) having what I can only describe as a regimented nature (like the Arni film where they are marching through a night club in line, and that is them enjoying themselves). But spend time with them and it is very hard to find more genuinely considerate people anywhere in the world, hence why I do not think there would be many accidents on the high speed Autobahn's.

Almost 20 years ago I road my Vmax 2-up(wife) from Miami to Alaska. Total trip including visits to national parks was 14000 miles. So the Vmax served as a tourer without a problem. I must add that we were much younger at about 50 hrs old.
I'll say! Diaper changes must have occupied a lot of time!

My hat's off to you doing that ride.

My friend who owns the shop I frequent rode his GSXR1100 two-up from FL to Mexico, round-trip. I don't want to even think about that!

Buy a Gen 2 all problems are solved
And to be very honest even the Gen 1 I had (frame braced fork braced and Metzlers was no issue doing or chasing sportys I don’t know why people have such an issue with this bike both styles have worked great for me I could very well come down to my geometry top heavy and long inseam I love them both but I’m hardcore Gen 2

First of all, don't ride fast, you'll die, wobble or not.
Wobble reasons:
bad tire/pressure(bubble) (front/rear)
wheel bearings fr/rr
wheel balance fr/rr
steering bearings/adjustment
bad forks/low fluid level
loose engine holding bolts (?)
worn out control arm bearings

...So I'll give my take on the UK first; there is a reluctance to let people into spaces at for example motorway cut-offs, and plenty of people would rather crash than let others in. There are some chancers just trying to abuse everyone, but to me it's not worth a crash, maybe a few swear words and signals. Then Germany, where generally I find the people are very polite and try to be helpful, out on the Motorway they move over when you come up the back of them, and on the Autobahn everyone going slower sticks strictly into the slow lanes and do not come out unless there is absolutely no-one in the outside lane.
Middle lane slow traffic has become a big problem in the UK and some people refuse outright to move in, and cannot understand or do not care if they are forcing people to undertake them, or holding up people with trailers that cannot go on the outside lane.
We have bad attitudes here, but it is not getting any better, I'm now seeing very young females cutting up people, its tragic. Yes we certainly do have different driving abilities and attitudes to Germany. And again yes; in my view the infrastructure in Germany is superior to the UK.

If you think the UK is bad try Sri Lanka, India or Nepal. It is soooo different to anything encountered in Europe or the US.
The horn is the main means of communication and it is he (or she) that blinks first that gives way.
Despite all of this chaos I've seen only one accident and no sign of any road rage

Yes I remember Pamela, she married a Glaswegian.

i don't doubt at all the figures you post, all I know is that i’ve never seen an accident on an Autobahn, or been held up for more than a couple of minutes on one. But i’ve sat on the M6 for 6 3/4 hours once, and been sitting for many hours on the M6 Smart Motorway that is usually at a standstill same as Manchester cut off. Infact squeezed my way through 20 miles of standstill traffic once on the VMax (overheating) The amount of accidents at Stafford is incredible. It is same on the M5 trying to get from Birmingham to Bristol. So maybe less deaths, but surely not being held up with accidents (even minor) that stop the motorway. Maybe Germany does not have so many rubber neckers that cause even more accidents ontop of others.

I worked and lived down that way for years and have booked hotels on a Sunday to avoid the chaos on the M6 on Mondays. One bump and our motorway is down to one lane.

So maybe the figures are not just actual Autobahn’s, I know it says Autobahn, but the way I read it the figures are suggesting Autobahn’s are all of Germany’s highways too. The German highways and motorways are not the Autobahn’s. i’ve never noticed a sign that says Autobahn, I know i’m in one when the speedo disappears from the satnav. Same motorway, just stretches that appear now and then with no speed limit. It would be interesting to know about accidents on the actual Autobahn’s only.

I spent DAYS on the Autobahn, stuck in traffic jams ... and I have seen lot of accidents.
I lived in Germany until 2014, worked in Frankfurt, lived about 70kms north of it. So, A5 was my daily Nemesis.

I spent DAYS on the Autobahn, stuck in traffic jams ... and I have seen lot of accidents.
I lived in Germany until 2014, worked in Frankfurt, lived about 70kms north of it. So, A5 was my daily Nemesis.
Last time I was away for 80 days, and never had a problem anywhere near Stuttgart, and towards Belgium. The traffic slowed down allot at rush hour, but everyone was moving over and letting each other in/out. Never saw a bump or bad behaviour once. Different experience’s mate, but understandably if you lived there for a long period of time you may have a different point of view.

Well ... this afternoon I picked up the bike from the mechanic. He has improved a lot but HAS NOT BEEN ELIMINATED ... anyway, I am content. I do not need more.

PD I never thought that speed would generate so much controversy. That is why I prefer to say that the mark before a small wobble was 240 km / h ... that yes, IT WAS ON A PRIVATE CIRCUIT ;)

Another man that missed out on the Maxgasser seat. Forward controls are cheap, dropping the forks in the triples is free, proper bearing play is critical and free. You might have mentioned you cannot get a very wide rear tire and a 15” is not helpful.

Never
We are all well aware you think the Gen 2 is the only Vmax worth owning. We are all well aware you think the Gen 1 is garbage and shouldn't be owned by anybody.

We're well aware. You don't have to post the same drivel in every thread.
Never said gen1 is garbage bone stock low km is good someone else’s mods generally suck and a gen 2 is the shit!

Latest posts

Back