i'm dreaming of a mad max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutcase_dann

Reaction score
howdy all after dreaming long enough i had decided i want to get a vmax in the spring.can any one give me ideas on what to look for...things to stay away from?..possibly the best year to buy??...thank you all:thumbup1: :bicycle:

Look for a bone stock machine, if mileage is too low like 3k for a 94 stay away, speedometers are easy to change. If the bike has carburetor work like stage 7 or some other crap cut the price in half, after market pipes and radials are an indication the bike was really used, look at the tires, if you see dunlop or bridgstone these are the original equipment but if you see metzler or Michelin and the bike has 3k the owner is a big lier, look for new looking parts, scratches or newly painted frame they indicate the bike was trashed and fixed to get rid of, ask if the bike is good doing a burnout and wheelies if the owner starts taking about how powerful the bike is, know it was abused. a bike with 123k will show 23k so don't be fooled.
take the bike to a trusted mechanic and pay to have it checked thoroughly, compression test, leak down test, frame inspection. finally ride the bike and see how it behaves. early 85----89 had a second gear problem popping out , this is $$$$ in repairs so stay clear.
ask if the owner is a vmoa member, you might be able to get some history on the bike.don't consider modifications as a plus (exhaust ? ask for the stock one) look for newer models 98 and up also look at kelly blue book prices to get an idea, look at the rubber on the shifter and foot pegs if worn and the bike has 3k then something fishy is happening.
see the bike in bright day light, take a biker friend with you if possible
4 eyes are better than two.
Good luck, I hope you find a good max that will get you hooked for life.
an owner with a clean bike will not go down too much on the price while an owner with a shitty bike that has bad history will go down a lot since he wants to get rid of it.

nutcase_dann said:
howdy all after dreaming long enough i had decided i want to get a vmax in the spring.can any one give me ideas on what to look for...things to stay away from?..possibly the best year to buy??...thank you all:thumbup1: :bicycle:
________
Mercury Meteor

Last edited:
I'm a little less cautious than the advice Firefly gave. A lot of what he said applies, but I think when you are looking at litre size standard or sport bikes, you will have a hard time finding one that hasn't, at some point, been ridden a bit hard, did a burn out or a wheelie. I don't think those necessarily mean a bike has been abused. New paint could mean it's been down or the owner didn't like the colour. I've repainted mine because the paint was faded, but it has never been down. General chatting with the seller will give probably give you an idea of how he looks after vehicles and how he rides. When I still had a SS bike, I've bought ex track bikes, which most people avoid, but are generally well maintained. My :twocents: .

Latest posts

Back