I'm dying over here.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demonsinmysemen

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! Jon here. I have a 2007 vmax with 17,xxx miles. She ran really well until a few weeks ago.

So here's what happened: my buddy rode my vmax around. (Nothing crazy, I rode next to him on his bike. He rode it just fine). So, we're in traffic for about a minute and the bike shuts off. I get it started again and it's just running very rough, almost as if the airbox came off and it started sucking in too much air(like I've read on some posts) so I get it back to my house, and it randomly starts running okay afain. Next removed the battery to take it to autozone, make sure it's okat. I was told "battery good, needs charge) so I pop the battery back in and try to jump start it with my car(car is turned off) it cranks and cranks but it doesn't turn over. I removed the carbs, they seem to be running fine, I changed the valve cover gasket because 2 sparkplugs had a dab of oil on them. I'm mechanically savy but am a bit scared of electronics. I bought a decent multimeter and am trying to look for a problem the best I can. Any suggestions?? Please help! Thank you in advance, Jon.

Last edited:
How often do you ride? Has the bike been sitting. Has it been running fine for a long period and this happened all of a sudden
You removed the carbs and did what to them?

Does it fire right up on a shot of starting fluid? That's where I'd start. A cheap spark checker would be helpful to. You can get them on E-bay or Harbor Freight. It sounds like ignition.

Check the resistance of the pickup assembly. It can go out without warning. #1 symptom is no start. 110 ohms +- 10 percent at 65 F (O-B), O-Gy), (O-W/G), (O-W/R) If OK. heat pickup with a hairdryer and see if resistance is still in range.

Everything the other members said.

I think a lot of times, bad gas from a bike sitting idle for an extended period or plugged idle jets can cause a bike to not start. The bike does like a strong 12 volts though, and it may-not start on a weak battery.

I have an 07, mine did something similar but was able to fix it for good. Make sure you have good spark on each plug, make sure the fuel pump is pushing fuel to the carbs, mine did not, had to replace the pump, and the low fuel reserve thingy in the gas tank, also check the fuel relay under the left scoop. But as what everyone says to do or check, pls do. That's what trouble shooting is all about right? I also found out that my reserve switch was fucked up too. As old as the bike is, these it seems to be the items that go. Also the starter clutch. I assume yours is fine? No bucket of rocks sound on startup? I went thru my bike and replaced all the shit that would eventually fail due in part to age. All the coolant hoses, upper head gasket, wire crimp tip, moved the voltage regulator from the side of the exhaust foot peg mount and put it under my rear luggage rack, looks factory! Replaced various electrical components, starter solenoid, voltage reg. 30 amp wire harness, rebuilt the reserve switch and key ignition. Most importantly, your kick stand switch. I took mine off, its a tiny ass wire with one flimsy connector. Just close that circuit. I also replaced the coils for COPS. Works great, really cleans up the electrical area when it comes to bulkiness and weight.

Last edited:
Does it fire right up on a shot of starting fluid? That's where I'd start. A cheap spark checker would be helpful to. You can get them on E-bay or Harbor Freight. It sounds like ignition.
Hmmmmmmm...I haven't tried either of those avenues. Definitely gonna give it a try and check my results. Thanks, dude.

How often do you ride? Has the bike been sitting. Has it been running fine for a long period and this happened all of a sudden
Before I bought it, it was definitely ridden a good amount, but since this issue, it's been sitting for almost 2 months...

Check the resistance of the pickup assembly. It can go out without warning. #1 symptom is no start. 110 ohms +- 10 percent at 65 F (O-B), O-Gy), (O-W/G), (O-W/R) If OK. heat pickup with a hairdryer and see if resistance is still in range.
I'm not entirely sure what that is. Gonna do some googling to find out exactly what that it. Thanks a lot!

Float hanging up?

Intermittent fuel to carbs?

My vmax absolutely will not start on a less than stellar battery.
Float hanging up? As in the float bowl for the carbs? Intermittent? It seems solid, unless I don't know what I'm looking for..

I have an 07, mine did something similar but was able to fix it for good. Make sure you have good spark on each plug, make sure the fuel pump is pushing fuel to the carbs, mine did not, had to replace the pump, and the low fuel reserve thingy in the gas tank, also check the fuel relay under the left scoop. But as what everyone says to do or check, pls do. That's what trouble shooting is all about right? I also found out that my reserve switch was fucked up too. As old as the bike is, these it seems to be the items that go. Also the starter clutch. I assume yours is fine? No bucket of rocks sound on startup? I went thru my bike and replaced all the shit that would eventually fail due in part to age. All the coolant hoses, upper head gasket, wire crimp tip, moved the voltage regulator from the side of the exhaust foot peg mount and put it under my rear luggage rack, looks factory! Replaced various electrical components, starter solenoid, voltage reg. 30 amp wire harness, rebuilt the reserve switch and key ignition. Most importantly, your kick stand switch. I took mine off, its a tiny ass wire with one flimsy connector. Just close that circuit. I also replaced the coils for COPS. Works great, really cleans up the electrical area when it comes to bulkiness and weight.
God damn!! Okay, I'm liking this. I don't know what all these parts are that talking about. Google is gonna have to be my friend. Most of my background on biles are all Motocross style.

When I removed the carbs, I took of the covers and made sure the needle was in tact(I believe it's the pilot) and opened the drain plugs to run some carb cleaner through them. I have exactly pulled it apart because I'm worried I'll throw them out of sync.

So I got a spark checked. No spark from any of the spark plugs.. any ideas?

Most likely pickup coil. Check the resistance measurement on the 2 wire connector under the seat (orange/black wires) with it unplugged.

Most likely pickup coil. Check the resistance measurement on the 2 wire connector under the seat (orange/black wires) with it unplugged.

Attachments

• 1547247539210256352790323471407.jpg
    1547247539210256352790323471407.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back