I'm in refinishing HELL!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakecharmr

Reaction score
Well so far my faux tank is down to the metal on the top, the bottom is all gummy due to a reaction with Chrome paint and paint stripper, my side covers cant be bead blasted as the PO painted them with some sort of plasti dip and the bead blast isn't touching them, my side scoops were found to have holes that the PO filled with bondo and there are so many gouges in the fenders I just want to run them through a wood chipper to see if it smooths them out...

Now I'm looking at all new body work and minimal cash. This sucks. Looks like the bike is going to be down for a few months. I'm even resorting to putting some other projects up for sale which I hate doing. Time to sell some SHTF shotties.

Anyone know of a source for body parts that won't make me have to sell everything in my gun safe?

Go to the parts WANTED section..post what you need, and see what kind of offers that you get. Ive seen some stuff on here go for shipping only. It never hurts to ask.

I can strip those side panels for you...most likely. I have a couple different professional chems I use to quickly strip powdercoat (basically plastic)...I'd only cost you shipping to find out...

I might also be able to salvage those scoops...depending on the size & location of the hole(s)...I've patched a few items with good success...It will be a permanent metal fix, meaning it could be PC'd in the future if desired. Shoot me a pic and I'll let you know if doable and a ballpark price.

Can't help you with the fenders...sorry

Cover2.jpg

Cover6.jpg

Just noticed SnakeCharmr is from the great north...shipping may be prohibitive...but offers stand...

I thought plasti-dip could be peeled back off easily by hand? Perhaps your side covers have been powder coated??

[email protected] usually has all this stuff lying around. Give Sean an email. Chances are, the boxed parts will beat you home after work tomorrow. lol

Posted in the parts wanted section but don't expect to see anything from it to be honest.. thanks for the offer in helping but ya I'm not sure shipping would be any less than paying someone here to fix.. Wow 2014 just isn't going my way so far. Both my Jeep and Magnum have broke down, two water pipes burst and now this. Plus with my line of work this is my offseason so trying to fix all this stuff on a very tight budget is not cool..

One about an hour away.. they have a faux tank and want $300 with scuffs and chips... Never found a good deal at that place.

YUCK!! I'll see if I have time to stop by the one nearest to me this weekend. I've never been there so I do not know if they have any Max's but like I said if I get a chance I'll check it out.

Try sending a pm to thevmaxrider his name is jim and he lives in canada im sure he can give you lots of idea's. He might even have the parts on hand.

Try sending a pm to thevmaxrider his name is jim and he lives in canada im sure he can give you lots of idea's. He might even have the parts on hand.

Will do but it'll have to wait till tmm.. Just got called in to my occasional job doing snow removal. Probably going to be working for 24+ hours straight again. Wish I had a better phone to check this when I'm out.

I've got a faux tank with a couple scratches in the clear. I could strip it for you if you want. PM me, and we'll see what we can work out. I'm thinking shipped in the $125 range...

Well for now I'm plugging away trying to work with what I have.. After a lot of elbow grease I have the fenders nice and smooth and am starting to work on the faux tank. going to start with glazing putty today on it to smooth out the small dings in it. I also got the other hard parts back from my friend that was bead blasting them for me and I'll start to paint them this week as well.. I'm thinking about doing a faux stainless steel finish on those.. metal piece above the headlight, handlebar mount and clamp, rear grab bar and side covers.. oh and the cover that goes on the forks to hide the brake line coupling..

1661414_10151884311517267_1449673990_n.jpg

Letting these cure for a week before wetsanding with 2000 and polishing.

1797408_10151884311402267_601008548_n.jpg

put a light mist coat on the faux tank then sanded 90% of it back off so I can see where all the small dents are so I can smooth them out with glazing putty.

It looks like you've got a good start on the body work & paint.

How do you keep the overspray outta the shower?

Well so far my faux tank is down to the metal on the top, the bottom is all gummy due to a reaction with Chrome paint and paint stripper, my side covers cant be bead blasted as the PO painted them with some sort of plasti dip and the bead blast isn't touching them, my side scoops were found to have holes that the PO filled with bondo and there are so many gouges in the fenders I just want to run them through a wood chipper to see if it smooths them out...

Now I'm looking at all new body work and minimal cash. This sucks. Looks like the bike is going to be down for a few months. I'm even resorting to putting some other projects up for sale which I hate doing. Time to sell some SHTF shotties.

Anyone know of a source for body parts that won't make me have to sell everything in my gun safe?

Yes, Tom R has a whole set for sale. Painted red in good shape. $500. PM me you want his e-mai l . I can fwd pics he sent me if you're interested.
Steve-o

It looks like you've got a good start on the body work & paint.

How do you keep the overspray outta the shower?

Lol I spray them outside and bring them in and hang em there to dry.. I've got em tied to some cord through mounting holes.. Just gotta be careful moving them.

Yes, Tom R has a whole set for sale. Painted red in good shape. $500. PM me you want his e-mai l . I can fwd pics he sent me if you're interested.
Steve-o

Can't do it.. flat broke at the moment with everything else going on, so I'm working with what I have for now.. Down the road that will be another thing, but I'll be sticking with blue. Previous owner put a bunch of blue accessories on the bike that I don't want to have to replace.. I've already got it in my mind that this will only be a one or two season bike for me then if I'm happy with a Vmax I'll buy a newer one from there or maybe a Gen 2 if my work situations smooths out.. I am a biologist working short contracts at the moment and am supposed to be working now but my work is having issues sorting out the deal with the client.. Should be permanant fulltime within a year or so though.

Still working out how I'm going to paint the handlebar mount, scoops and all other small hard parts.. I'm thinking about doing the scoops the same as the fenders and tank and doing the others in a faux stainless steel spray I found that looks pretty nice..

Back