Importing a Vmax into Texas from Europe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Hammer

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone here have experience importing a motorcycle into Texas? Legalities vary from state to state and county to county.

I am planning to take my bike with me and all factual information is welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_162154.jpg
    IMG_20211021_162154.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
If it's in your name there is no particular thing to worry about. They are one of the easiest states to get a quiet title as well. BUT, you will just get an inspection (checking your vins in the database to verify it;s not stolen), then off you go!

My information is outdated....but when I dealt with vehicles from other countries, they were referred to as grey market cars. They had to go through a special process and be above a certain age to qualify. Emissions related issues was the reason for this. Now granted, this was for automobiles, not motorcycles. I recall a form had to be filled out, Stupid money had to be put up and if the vehicle did not meet US federal law, had to be modified until it did. Its not as simple as bringing in a vehicle and registering.

I would suggest looking up grey market vehicles and seeing what is needed to make the vehicle legal here in the states.

Good point, I already looked into that. What I found was that motorcycles in Texas are exempt from emission testing. Cars of 2 to 25 or so years have to go through this. So if Texas doesn't require emission testing on it's local motorcycles then how could it do that to imports of the same make and model? I know that things with federal government are not necessary this easy but if there are different set of rules in place they need to be justified solid. Anything else leaves the state open for a hefty lawsuit.

Or maybe I'm just imagining things. I do appreciate all opinions presented here.

Its no so much state law at that point. Its federal law. The grey markets I was converting were done in New Mexico. Only one county in New Mexico has emission testing. The rest of the state has no safety or emission testing. The conversions I have done are usually EGR systems, evaporative emission systems, and secondary air systems. Basically, if the American equivalent had a certain emission thing, by federal law, the grey market had to be retrofitted with it. Keep in mind...my knowledge is from about 10/12 years ago and only to automobiles. Not motorcycles. The rules for grey market motorcycles might be entirely different. But I can bet that the federal government just wont let one wander in unchecked. They want their money.

Edit, I forgot....in America, there are 2 emission standards. Federal and California CARB. Federal standards are more lax than California standards. But all vehicles in America must at least meet the federal standard for their respective model year.

I need to clarify that I was only thinking state to state transfers. Not international transfers. Last time I knew of one coming into the US was 25 years ago. It was an 85 and had problems because the bike at that time was not CA emissions approved even though it was going in to NY. They had to get origin forms and other work done.

What may make this easier is me selling you a frame with good title lol.

Good point, I already looked into that. What I found was that motorcycles in Texas are exempt from emission testing. Cars of 2 to 25 or so years have to go through this. So if Texas doesn't require emission testing on it's local motorcycles then how could it do that to imports of the same make and model? I know that things with federal government are not necessary this easy but if there are different set of rules in place they need to be justified solid. Anything else leaves the state open for a hefty lawsuit.

Or maybe I'm just imagining things. I do appreciate all opinions presented here.
In CA they check vin, engine frame numbers, and stupid emmission stickers. Plus Dot approved lights.

First ride today in Texas Hill Country with my brother and with my bike. Turns out that when a bike is older than 25 years things are easy when importing it.

This spring we were on a pleasure trip to Austin and San Antonio. We took the state routes from Austin to San Antonio. It was a brisk spring day, sunny and cool, just a perfect day to travel. Great roads and enough scenery to make it interesting. Heading back to Austin from San Antonio, it was the interstate, which seemed to be under construction for half of it. Much more congestion, and nowhere near as much fun as the trip down. People seemed to be fairly courteous both ways, headed south or north, and they weren't slow when the road allowed it.

A guy I know here in south FL imports the Russian BMW airhead copies, the Dnepr horizontal twins. He does the federal and state of FL required conversions, and sells 'em.

Bad quality in the picture. My bro's bike in it too. It was late yesterday night and dark already.

Attachments

• IMG_20230826_202229576.jpg
    IMG_20230826_202229576.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back