Improving Your Riding Skills

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlaws justice

Reaction score
This year I became an instructor for the Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Riding clinic, BEST THING I EVER DID! I already teach MSF street and Dirt as well as ATV Classes (Aside from my full time job) teaching is a hobby and I enjoy it.

There is the last class of the season for Maryland (East Coast) being held in two weeks in Frederick Maryland. I was down on the 23rd of September for the Last class in which we had members from the FZ1 group of which I am also a member. If there is any interest in this class let me know I would be more than willing to take a day off from work to travel down with the Vmax and teach a class for the folks from the club and friends.

Believe me you will thank yourself! If you do not know about the program see the following link for informatin:

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/miscpage_002.asp

As a long standing member of the VMOA I am not out to promote this for personal gain but for the benefit of the members. It is GREAT.

If anyone would like to see pics from a class you can see the thread from the FZ1 Board at this link:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58853

I will try to answer any questions you have as well. This class is not just a sport bike class it is advanced srteet riding students range from Harleys to gold wings as well as sport bikes. The class on the 23rd was members from the FZ1 board so of course almost all FZ1 bikes. Let me know, if several members decided to attend maybe we can have dinner afterwards etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Class In Frederick Maryland MAY 12th

If anyone is interested in making some nice improvements to thier riding skills wanted to let you know I am traveling down to Frederick Maryland to teach a Class with Tracy Martin on May 12th at Frederick Community College. This class is one of the best things I ever did for my riding, bar none! even after 30 years of riding and teaching I made some great improvements and would recomend it to anyone with any type of bike!!!

Youo can sign up on line, go to the schedule section at www.totalcontroltraining.net or you can call Tracy Martin or myself. If you will be there let me know, we will plan dinner after class! If you are in the region but not interested, at least stop by and say hello!

David M. Beyer
(315) 771-2747
Total Control Instructor
www.totalcontroltraining.net
MSF Rider Coach
www.msf-usa.org
MSF Dirt Bike Coach
www.dirtbikeschool.com
ATV Safety Instructor
www.svia.org
NYS Snowmobile Instructor
http://www.nysparks.state.ny.us/snow/edu_snow.asp

I have a good question for you Dave.Recently while riding I noticed that I still lean my bike in corners and do not counter steer at all.I can do it but I seem to have to think about it first.I don't know if its because I rode and raced motorcross for so many years or what.It does not come naturally to me.Any suggestions?

I have a good question for you Dave.Recently while riding I noticed that I still lean my bike in corners and do not counter steer at all.I can do it but I seem to have to think about it first.I don't know if its because I rode and raced motorcross for so many years or what.It does not come naturally to me.Any suggestions?

Lots of things, Namely Practice. It has to become natural and a muscle memory thing (Like riding off-road is) also setting yourself up for the corner before you reach it (Moving your body center line inside the bike and pushing on the outside grip to keep the bike going straight until you reach your turn in point is also a great start. This forces you to relax the outside grip and push the inside grip when you start your turn. Again it comes down to practice, muscle memory and such. Find a class near you where you can be coached and have them watch you. it will help with feedback and let you know what you can work on to make it better.

Thanks,Dave!If you are coming closer to western pa. with a class I would like to know.

Shawn, you are countersteering without realizing it. It is almost impossible to turn a bike that is moving at speed other than the initial slow speed takeoff without countersteering. When riding, exert a little pressure (push) your right palm against the handlebar and your bike will turn to the right. Next, try it without the extra pressure and you will find that you still turn because you did it without thinking about it. Leaning only assists in applying the counter steer. Take a bicycle for a ride and the exact same will happen only at slower speed. On a sidenote, when growing up in Manitoba, the Brandon City Police brought their police Harley to the local motorcycle shop to teach local riders about countersteering. While demonstrating the Cop applied to much pressure on the bars at too slow a speed and dumped that nice white Harley destroying the windshield, bars and a fiberglass saddlebag.

Correct, We all countersteer, most just never know it. But cornering well involves much more than just the countersteer. In the classes we cover all the cornering technique, no matter what the bike is, and much more. We do drills to help reinforce the proper technique and make you much better no matter what you ride.

If anyone is going to be around Frederick Maryland this weekend, stop by and say hello. I will be at the College all Day Saturday!

Back